Sponsored by:

5.3 LM4 swap, no tach and idling issues

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-2017, 07:13 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 5.3 LM4 swap, no tach and idling issues

Background:
5.3l LM4 swap into a 86 BMW. The Engine, Harness, and ECM were all pulled from the same '03 Envoy XL. I converted the harness and ECM from DBW to DBC. Engine is stock other than a LS6 cam. DBC throttle body is supposedly from an '03 Express van (bought it from a JY). Engine is still running with MAF. I followed LT1-Swap to build my harness and add the necessary wiring for the IAC and TPS.

Issues:

1. No Tach Signal - I thought my aftermarket tach needed the signal boosted but HP tuners isn't seeing a tach signal either.

2. Starts fine then begins to run away - It appears as though the IAC is stuck in one position. No matter what count we put into HP tuner the IAC doesn't seem to move. I checked the connector and noticed I did have it wired backwards. Once corrected the engine was doing the same thing. I thought I fried the IAC so I installed a new one, no difference.
I can put my finger in the IAC port and control the idle and the engine seems to run great with a slight delay in throttle response but when I move my finger the RPM's take off. Continuity between the ECM and the connector is good so I don't believe it's a wire issue. Could it be bad pins in the ECM? Incorrect base tune?

Quick Reply: 5.3 LM4 swap, no tach and idling issues