PCM Diagnostics & Tuning HP Tuners | Holley | Diablo

Idle stall and dying

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-2017 | 12:28 PM
Teching In

Default Idle stall and dying

2001 camaro ls1 and t56, starts up but dies at idle. And dies when coming to a stop or slowing down with clutch in or neutral. At first I thought fuel pump or filter, but the more I read looks like vss or Tb opening or tune. As far as I know the vss is still hooked up. So am I right to still think Tb positioning or tune? Or is there other options? What do you think guys
Old 07-04-2017 | 11:52 AM
TECH Senior Member
15 Year Member

is it stock?
Old 07-04-2017 | 12:03 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by LilJayV10
is it stock?
No.. Completely forged, tsp 228r cam, ls6 1.5 heads with a small mill, stock piston size, 92 mm intake and Tb, 52lb injectors full exhaust and tune.. 520 hp on the motor
Old 07-04-2017 | 03:36 PM

How big is the hole in your throttle blade?
Old 07-04-2017 | 04:06 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Darth_V8r
How big is the hole in your throttle blade?
No idea honestly. I just bought the car and havent looked at it yet. It's a fast 92mm Tb though if that helps
Old 07-04-2017 | 04:53 PM
TECH Veteran
5 Year Member

You need to calibrate the throttle. Helps to have a scanner. Basically what I do is close the iac motor all the way with the scan tool (must have that capability) then adjust the idle manually with the screw to where in neutral and ac off it'll idle good at the lowest idle I can get. Then cut car off. Unplug iac motor and tps sensor. Turn the key on (don't crank) for 10 seconds. Turn key off. Plug stuff back in. Check to see if you iac counts are 50-60 and your throttle position is 0%. If it's not 0% then you can slot the tps sensor holes and cut the locating tab off. THEN is after all that you can get the counts down and your tps at 0% you can start by drilling a 1/16 hole in the throttle blade. And repeat the process. This is my method and it has worked for me on dying vehicles that have a cam that people brought to me to get lined out.

You don't want the iac having to fight to get the car to idle. It needs to idle on its own without help. A lot of times the iac can't react fast enough to keep it idling when you come to a stop or let off the gas quickly. The iac is there to supplement the idle. Once you understand it like that then it'll make sense.

Also, if your fueling is off, your idle will have trouble. If your timing is too low, it'll have trouble. If your timing is too high, you'll have trouble. All of these things have to come in line with what your motor wants. Example, my gto does not like 24 degrees or higher at idle. You can tell the engine struggles staying running with it that high. It will idle fine at 22 however and it doesn't like below 10-12 either. You have to find that window. If it's too rich, then it'll struggle to idle. You get the point.....,
Old 07-04-2017 | 08:37 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Kfxguy
You need to calibrate the throttle. Helps to have a scanner. Basically what I do is close the iac motor all the way with the scan tool (must have that capability) then adjust the idle manually with the screw to where in neutral and ac off it'll idle good at the lowest idle I can get. Then cut car off. Unplug iac motor and tps sensor. Turn the key on (don't crank) for 10 seconds. Turn key off. Plug stuff back in. Check to see if you iac counts are 50-60 and your throttle position is 0%. If it's not 0% then you can slot the tps sensor holes and cut the locating tab off. THEN is after all that you can get the counts down and your tps at 0% you can start by drilling a 1/16 hole in the throttle blade. And repeat the process. This is my method and it has worked for me on dying vehicles that have a cam that people brought to me to get lined out.

You don't want the iac having to fight to get the car to idle. It needs to idle on its own without help. A lot of times the iac can't react fast enough to keep it idling when you come to a stop or let off the gas quickly. The iac is there to supplement the idle. Once you understand it like that then it'll make sense.

Also, if your fueling is off, your idle will have trouble. If your timing is too low, it'll have trouble. If your timing is too high, you'll have trouble. All of these things have to come in line with what your motor wants. Example, my gto does not like 24 degrees or higher at idle. You can tell the engine struggles staying running with it that high. It will idle fine at 22 however and it doesn't like below 10-12 either. You have to find that window. If it's too rich, then it'll struggle to idle. You get the point.....,

Awesome thanks man, helps a lot

Quick Reply: Idle stall and dying