Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Is this normal?

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-2017, 05:03 PM
On The Tree

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Is this normal?

I have a 0411 PCM in a 5.3 swap into a 68 C10. The swap is two years old, but recently started throwing p0327 and p0332 codes. Found front sensor not reporting noise so I decided to change both sensors and harness. About a week later codes came back. Decided the complete wire harness back to PCM should be checked. When I removed the blue connecter from PCM, there is a sticky "gel" on the blue plastic and down inside PCM pins area. This stuff was sticky like grape jelly and looked like Vaseline.
Is this normal? I have never seen this on any PCM connection area. I removed red connecter and no "gel" was found.
The wire harness checked fine sensors good so the last part is the PCM itself but is this gel a cause or symptom or nothing to worry about?
I have a feeling the PCM is bad anyways.
Old 09-13-2017, 06:07 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 46 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by sowbelle
I have a 0411 PCM in a 5.3 swap into a 68 C10. The swap is two years old, but recently started throwing p0327 and p0332 codes. Found front sensor not reporting noise so I decided to change both sensors and harness. About a week later codes came back. Decided the complete wire harness back to PCM should be checked. When I removed the blue connecter from PCM, there is a sticky "gel" on the blue plastic and down inside PCM pins area. This stuff was sticky like grape jelly and looked like Vaseline.
Is this normal? I have never seen this on any PCM connection area. I removed red connecter and no "gel" was found.
The wire harness checked fine sensors good so the last part is the PCM itself but is this gel a cause or symptom or nothing to worry about?
I have a feeling the PCM is bad anyways.
Sounds like dielectric grease, i use it all the time. Not sure why its just on 1 connector tho.
Old 09-13-2017, 06:43 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Just turn the codes off. The knock sensors will still work.
Old 09-13-2017, 09:23 PM
On The Tree

Ok when you say turn codes off, NO MIL reported or No report at all?
I have read on this site that if these codes are reporting the PCM automatically retards timing up to 4 to 8-9 degrees?
So are you saying turning the report off completely that no retard happens unless it gets actual knock?
Thanks in advance for the responses
Old 09-13-2017, 09:44 PM
TECH Senior Member

No Error Reported if you are using HP Tuners.
Old 09-13-2017, 09:45 PM
On The Tree

Thanks
Old 09-14-2017, 08:11 PM
Staging Lane

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by 2xLS1
Just turn the codes off. The knock sensors will still work.
Would it be better to change the sensitivity instead or choose DETECTION MODE to "ENGINE" instead of "CYLINDER" through HP Tuners for him?

So your stating (curious) disabling Knock code if it's False won't harm his engine if he so happens to get bad gas or something? Sorry for the stupid question trying to understand more about KNOCK settings on LS1's and software options.
Old 09-14-2017, 10:13 PM
TECH Senior Member

Knock sensors still work. You are just turning off the diagnostics on them. Not their functioning. Especially if you have already replaced them and the harness. The codes have been off (No Error Reported) on my 04 Silverado for a couple of years. They still pick up knock just fine. Data logs show it. The problem seems to be more of an issue on 99-07 Gen 3 trucks/SUVs for some reason.
Old 09-14-2017, 10:40 PM
Staging Lane

Knock sensors still work. You are just turning off the diagnostics on them. Not their functioning. Especially if you have already replaced them and the harness. The codes have been off (No Error Reported) on my 04 Silverado for a couple of years. They still pick up knock just fine. Data logs show it. The problem seems to be more of an issue on 99-07 Gen 3 trucks/SUVs for some reason.
Damn :-( I was asking also because I have false knock due from either water leaking badly from the weather stripping where the hood meets the windshield deteriorating the sensor which I heard is common and before fixing it there was puddles of water on the intake from heavy rain storms. Other option was the car has 167,000 miles now and the original owner told me he never change the last spark plug on the firewall passenger side when he sold it to me at 107,000 miles. Understanding Spark knock on these engines is driving me crazy lol. So on your vehicle and this OP will it pull timing and decrease performance on your and his vehicle?

That's my last question and sorry if I hijacked this thread.
Old 09-15-2017, 09:52 AM
TECH Senior Member

With KS codes set the PCM will preemptively pull the max timing that is in the KR in Power Enrichment table when you enter PE. The detection of knock is not what causes KS codes to set.
Old 09-15-2017, 06:01 PM
Staging Lane

With KS codes set the PCM will preemptively pull the max timing that is in the KR in Power Enrichment table when you enter PE. The detection of knock is not what causes KS codes to set.
Thanks, explains the pig rich condition just by the smell and the black soot left behind on the exhaust and SLP rear body skirt for the last 60,000 miles.
Old 09-19-2017, 02:50 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

The overly rich condition might be an additional/separate problem.

Quick Reply: Is this normal?