PCM Diagnostics & Tuning HP Tuners | Holley | Diablo
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Advise Needed - Which Way To Go?

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-2017, 04:55 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Advise Needed - Which Way To Go?

Here's where I'm at:

Building a 68 C10 Short Bed. I have purchased a L99 matched with the 6l80 with less than 30k out of a 2014 Camaro SS that I am planing to be the power plant.

Now bear with me. I am a mid 80's street racer...kinda serious in it at the time, but, that was a while ago and a LOT has changed. Got a lot to learn.

My L99 has the wiring on the engine and the ECM, but I did not get the harness with it. (I know...it's a sin). I plan on doing a cam change with one to utilize the VVT. I will be changing the lifters and springs to accommodate.

So, my question: Which way should I go with the wiring harness and tuning? Go with a setup like the Holley, MS3 Gold Box, or other plug and play set up? Or, get a harness and go with the HP Tuners way of doing things? I want the best bang for my buck, but sometimes that doesn't mean the cheapest, so....

Any advise, thoughts, or opinions appreciated.
Old 09-18-2017, 12:00 AM
TECH Addict

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

best bang would be harness with hptuners. Are u saying u have the complete factory harness with ecm? The new stuff is drive by wire so u will need a electric gas pedal and maybe the tac module depending on your harness buildout.

Also all the newer engines past 2010 are canbus data to the underdash data link connector. With this being said u will need gauges like Dakota digital, or speed hit with there interface box that will plug and play and read out all engine data via the ecm. Ive done a few of these swaps and its whats needed. No way around it really.
Old 09-18-2017, 05:06 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by brandon6.0
best bang would be harness with hptuners. Are u saying u have the complete factory harness with ecm? The new stuff is drive by wire so u will need a electric gas pedal and maybe the tac module depending on your harness buildout.

Also all the newer engines past 2010 are canbus data to the underdash data link connector. With this being said u will need gauges like Dakota digital, or speed hit with there interface box that will plug and play and read out all engine data via the ecm. Ive done a few of these swaps and its whats needed. No way around it really.
This is the kind of info I need. Thanks!

I have the engine, transmission, and the wiring on the engine itself and the ECU. so I need the harness that that goes from there. (if pictures help I will be glad to take them.)

So, correct me if I am wrong...are you saying to get a factory type harness and the use HP Tuners for the tuning and such?

Good to know on the gages as well.
Old 09-19-2017, 07:14 AM
Teching In

This is all I've got:
Attached Thumbnails Advise Needed - Which Way To Go?-img_1357.jpg   Advise Needed - Which Way To Go?-img_3860.jpg  
Old 09-19-2017, 01:18 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

You should contact a co like Speartech and see if they have what you need to interface with the wiring you have to provide the necessary power and grounds and fuse block. I don't know if they have such a product because they are in the business of providing complete turn key harnesses. But other than getting the rest of the harness from a donor vehicle or the wiring schematic and doing it yourself , you need a way to power it up and protect it with fuses.
Old 09-19-2017, 01:38 PM
TECH Senior Member

After looking at your pics a little closer you seem to have a lot of cut wires. Unless you are good at following schematics and repairing those you would probably be better off just buying a complete harness from Speartech or PSI. You would then use the ECM you already have with it and the TCM also which in inside the transmission. You will still need a tuning solution like HP Tuners or hire a local tuner to program everything to work in the swap vehicle.
Old 09-19-2017, 02:03 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by 2xLS1
You should contact a co like Speartech and see if they have what you need to interface with the wiring you have to provide the necessary power and grounds and fuse block. I don't know if they have such a product because they are in the business of providing complete turn key harnesses. But other than getting the rest of the harness from a donor vehicle or the wiring schematic and doing it yourself , you need a way to power it up and protect it with fuses.
10-4
I will give those guys a call.
I guess I'm not real sure what is being called a "harness". It appears as if everything that connects to the engine itself is there. It's what plugs into each of the connections to go to the fuse box etc. is what's missing. "If" that was the case, would I be better off to get a controller like Holley, MS3 Pro, or MS3 Gold Box puts out since it has all of that wiring there? If not, it appears I will be paying the same thing for a harness and them more for HP Tuners and such.

Or, am I totally lost in my thoughts? lol
Old 09-19-2017, 02:05 PM
Teching In

After looking at your pics a little closer you seem to have a lot of cut wires. Unless you are good at following schematics and repairing those you would probably be better off just buying a complete harness from Speartech or PSI. You would then use the ECM you already have with it and the TCM also which in inside the transmission. You will still need a tuning solution like HP Tuners or hire a local tuner to program everything to work in the swap vehicle.
Yea...it does look that way in the pics...my bad. The only wires that are actually cut though are the ones on the transmission. They cut them right before the connection. There are hoses and such that make it look that way. I should have taken better shots.
Old 09-19-2017, 02:43 PM
TECH Senior Member

You have a L99 6.2L with variable cam and DOD and I don't know if any of those aftermarket controllers can control that or the 6 speed auto. If it were me I would stay with OEM. But I have the ability to tune OEM.
Old 09-19-2017, 04:35 PM
Teching In

You have a L99 6.2L with variable cam and DOD and I don't know if any of those aftermarket controllers can control that or the 6 speed auto. If it were me I would stay with OEM. But I have the ability to tune OEM.
I plan on changing cams to one that will work with VVT but will delete DOD along with changing out the lifters to secure all that.

I did not realize that there was not a controller out that would work with the 6l80e. So....if I stay with OEM and get a harness to work, I would be able to program it (or have it done) with HP Tuners and such? Will the transmission be controlled by that as well?

Thanks for the input!

Quick Reply: Advise Needed - Which Way To Go?