PCM Diagnostics & Tuning HP Tuners | Holley | Diablo
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Changing rear gears and my tune.

Search this Thread

Old 11-09-2017, 07:55 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Changing rear gears and my tune.

I was wondering if changing out my rear gears from 4.10 to 3.55 would affect the tune very much? I know it will change the speedo. Wanting to go to a more turbo friendly ratio. It is a 6spd car. Thanks.
Old 11-10-2017, 08:00 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 81 Likes on 72 Posts

No, it will only mess with your speedo. Most things are rpm based NOT mph based.
Old 11-10-2017, 09:49 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Awesome, thanks 01ssreda4.
Old 11-10-2017, 08:48 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 530 Likes on 374 Posts
LS1Tech 20 Year Member

It actually depends on how close to "correct" your tune is. There are tables that affect transitional fueling that may be affected, as well as additional heat load considerations. The difference can be readily apparent when logging dyno runs loaded vs unloaded, such as with a Mustang vs Dynojet comparison. If ALL aspects of the tune are right, there will be no difference. In reality, this is one of the reasons some old-school racers tune at the track and scoff at dyno tuning, because so many "great" dyno tunes aren't really good enough for the street or track. The simple answer to your question, however, is one post above mine. You are not likely to have any issues other than speedo.
Old 11-11-2017, 09:15 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 81 Likes on 72 Posts

In a detailed explanation that is correct. It could load the motor slightly differently and hit cells of fueling that didn't get hit before. Most tuners will blend info in areas around good data to make sure if it goes off course it's still pretty correct. But, the reality is, stock tunes can be way off, and the car still runs well. The reason is on an NA application the tuning window is big, meaning the average person wouldn't notice if the motor was running 13.5 afr or 15.5 afr driving down the road. It will simply run decent with anything in between as an example.

Quick Reply: Changing rear gears and my tune.