PCM Diagnostics & Tuning HP Tuners | Holley | Diablo
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Wideband in stock O2 location

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-2017, 09:47 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3,022 Likes on 2,353 Posts

The high quality mfrs.' include instructions to mount wherever needed. The CHEEEEP stuff mfrs.(AEM/Innovate) warn not to put their junk sensors too close lest you fry them.
Old 11-30-2017, 08:16 AM
Launching!

Received 38 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by kingtal0n
How about instead, when you buy something from a high quality manufacturer, you should read and follow the simple instructions.
I think you have mistaken what qualifies as a "high quality manufacturer". ECM is the standard of the industry for OEM work. Most aftermarket stuff is just kids' toys by comparison. Their latest wideband controller is certainly more expensive than an AEM/Innovate, but the capabilities are far superior.

HERE IS THE SPEC SHEET FOR THE LAMBDA CAN MODULE. Notice how their only requirement is that the sensor only be subject to 850*C continuous temperature. It's ok to briefly exceed that, but continuous means 10min+ to us here in the OEM world. That's something that racers will pretty much never do. Incidentally, that LambdaCAN module uses the same exact sensor as my AFM1500, AFM1000, and LambdaPRO. It is designed to operate with the sensor UPSTREAM of a turbo or restrictive catalyst and still return a reliable, pressure compensated, temperature compensated reading. That's what you get for the extra money.

Now do I recommend these really expensive tools for the DIY guys? NO. That's why there are lower cost units (still made by ECM) sold by Dynocom and Ballenger, that still have a reliable signal at low backpressure. The only thing you need to do is avoid leaks and install them somewhere that the backpressure is reasonable (like downstream of the turbo). They work just fine either 4" or 40" from the turbine, just with slightly different transport times.

I know lots of people shop on price, but please don't confuse number of units sold with "who makes the best wideband".
Old 11-30-2017, 08:29 AM
Banned

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by turbolx
I think you have mistaken what qualifies as a "high quality manufacturer". ECM is the standard of the industry for OEM work. Most aftermarket stuff is just kids' toys by comparison. Their latest wideband controller is certainly more expensive than an AEM/Innovate, but the capabilities are far superior.

HERE IS THE SPEC SHEET FOR THE LAMBDA CAN MODULE. Notice how their only requirement is that the sensor only be subject to 850*C continuous temperature. It's ok to briefly exceed that, but continuous means 10min+ to us here in the OEM world. That's something that racers will pretty much never do. Incidentally, that LambdaCAN module uses the same exact sensor as my AFM1500, AFM1000, and LambdaPRO. It is designed to operate with the sensor UPSTREAM of a turbo or restrictive catalyst and still return a reliable, pressure compensated, temperature compensated reading. That's what you get for the extra money.

Now do I recommend these really expensive tools for the DIY guys? NO. That's why there are lower cost units (still made by ECM) sold by Dynocom and Ballenger, that still have a reliable signal at low backpressure. The only thing you need to do is avoid leaks and install them somewhere that the backpressure is reasonable (like downstream of the turbo). They work just fine either 4" or 40" from the turbine, just with slightly different transport times.

I know lots of people shop on price, but please don't confuse number of units sold with "who makes the best wideband".

Fact: If you buy a typical $150 wideband unit from anywhere, you will need to read the instruction manual and probably place it away from high temp sources.
Assumption: If a typical person modifying a car sees the "same" car part for $150 and $500, they usually buy the $150 unit if it does the same things more or less.

Lessons: read the manual, expect people to be cheap in general
Also, AEM produces their own stand-alone unit. So if they are offering a coincidental wideband unit to go with it, even if its cheap, that doesn't sound bad. Somebody had to engineer it, and they sell thousands of them without issue so... yeah I think its fairly high quality manufacturer, AEM IMO. Just an opinion. I've had LC1 Innovative and similar and nothing but trouble over the years, whereas an AEM gauge on the pillar seems to last forever in a number of cars. So AEM definitely stands out to me as a reliable piece of equipment. Furthermore, we go to the dynometer's wideband when we want a second opinion.
Old 11-30-2017, 08:40 AM
10 Second Club

Received 1,736 Likes on 1,297 Posts

Greg, don't bother. He knows just enough to be dangerous.

KT....you do realize you're arguing with someone who tunes for the OEMs and literally has written multiple books on tuning that include discussions on widebands, right? Just STFU and listen sometimes.
Old 11-30-2017, 08:49 AM
Banned

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts

What argument? show me one place there is an argument. Quote something, anything I said that you can argue with. LOL Thats right, go check. All I said was "read the instruction manual". You can't argue with that, its why I chose to say it

It stands: Read the manual no matter what you buy. If you screw up that part, nobody posting on LS tech can save you
go ahead, post all you want. But know that it isn't an argument. it is a supplement. Lets see how many supplements we can get. Oh and, try not to get mad. again.
Old 11-30-2017, 09:44 AM
10 Second Club

What argument? show me one place there is an argument. Quote something, anything I said that you can argue with. LOL Thats right, go check. All I said was "read the instruction manual". You can't argue with that, its why I chose to say it

It stands: Read the manual no matter what you buy. If you screw up that part, nobody posting on LS tech can save you
go ahead, post all you want. But know that it isn't an argument. it is a supplement. Lets see how many supplements we can get. Oh and, try not to get mad. again.
Every single post in this thread has been argumentative. Do you read your random crap or does it just come out automatically? Like your first post:

Not a good idea, too hot
You're the ONLY one in here who has blown something up by doing this....so obviously that speaks to your tuning ability. I do this on EVERY SINGLE CAR i've tuned that doesn't have a dedicated wideband bung and have ZERO engine failures....."take that for data." Stupid Grizzles firing David Fizdale.
Old 11-30-2017, 09:55 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

I can see where kingtalon is saying about reading the manual is necessary for most first time beginners but those who have had experience afterwards already 'know' the ideal placement of the sensor and the angle to which is best suited. both the uego/aem and ngk afx powerdex/Ballenger afx advises on how far away to place the sensor as well as angle of the sensor itself.

regardless, any tool or anything in general, be it tv or computer or even a table there are instructions included.
Old 11-30-2017, 10:03 AM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by fst100
I can see where kingtalon is saying about reading the manual is necessary for most first time beginners but those who have had experience afterwards already 'know' the ideal placement of the sensor and the angle to which is best suited. both the uego/aem and ngk afx powerdex/Ballenger afx advises on how far away to place the sensor as well as angle of the sensor itself.

regardless, any tool or anything in general, be it tv or computer or even a table there are instructions included.
Dont feed the trolls.
Old 11-30-2017, 10:07 AM
FormerVendor

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts

Default NTK UEGO Data Sheet

Hi Olx, good tech, I agree with ECM's quality AND Horiba's quality. (1st in Class)
My UEGO work began at the Horiba MFC manufacturing plant about two miles from my shop in the 1980's.
I have a MFC that uses the UEGO for gas flow measurement AND content. (Unit 1990's)

NOW for ALL, the "KING" report is "OFF the CUFF" as he is NOT ALLOWED to VIEW the internal NTK UEGO sensor specifications.

Those "rights" are for dealers, as myself, who ARE allowed to buy from Wixom AND have signed the AGREEMENT.

THUS Spider, King knows little about the UEGO !
I ALSO believe he does not know how to operate the Nernst Cell !

Lance
Old 11-30-2017, 10:19 AM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by Pantera EFI
Hi Olx, good tech, I agree with ECM's quality AND Horiba's quality. (1st in Class)
My UEGO work began at the Horiba MFC manufacturing plant about two miles from my shop in the 1980's.
I have a MFC that uses the UEGO for gas flow measurement AND content. (Unit 1990's)

NOW for ALL, the "KING" report is "OFF the CUFF" as he is NOT ALLOWED to VIEW the internal NTK UEGO sensor specifications.

Those "rights" are for dealers, as myself, who ARE allowed to buy from Wixom AND have signed the AGREEMENT.

THUS Spider, King knows little about the UEGO !
I ALSO believe he does not know how to operate the Nernst Cell !

Lance
Thanks for confirming Lance. I had looked into making my own controller at 1 point, but decided the benefit wasn't worth my time unless I wanted to start selling in mass quantity and be another "me too" lol.
Old 11-30-2017, 11:36 AM
TECH Senior Member

Kingtalon just can't face the fact that he, the perfectionist, got hosed on his sensor buy...
Old 11-30-2017, 01:08 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

why dont people just put the sensor in the rear bung and be done?
Old 11-30-2017, 01:39 PM
TECH Senior Member

They do. What do you think we have been discussing?
Edit- I thought he was referring to the bung right after the header/manifold... DOH!

Last edited by G Atsma; 12-01-2017 at 12:31 AM.
Old 11-30-2017, 02:36 PM
Launching!

Received 38 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by Dian
why dont people just put the sensor in the rear bung and be done?
Installing a sensor further downstream has its own set of compromises/issues. With a catalyst in there, your signal is damped by catalyst O2 storage. Without a catalyst, it is delayed by a longer transport time. But what do I know...
Old 11-30-2017, 02:43 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by turbolx
Installing a sensor further downstream has its own set of compromises/issues. With a catalyst in there, your signal is damped by catalyst O2 storage. Without a catalyst, it is delayed by a longer transport time. But what do I know...
The transport time has always interested me for CL with LT's. Do you have a rule of thumb on a multiplier when someone swaps from stock to LT's for the upstream O2's transport time?
Old 11-30-2017, 11:57 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by Pantera EFI
Hi All, when a EGO/UEGO is fitted, there is a hole in the side of the sensor for air reference.

DO NOT "wrap" that area with a temperature barrier material.

The MOST FUNNY thing I have read is about sensor drift with temperature increase.

When the sensor temperature is increased, the "read" will show a HIGHER AFR CAUSING the EMS to provide MORE fuel. (1650+ EGT)

Lance
from memory the temp drift varies a lot with lambda. does anybody have info on that?

as to the precision of measurement, the moisture of air has an influence of up to 4%. not sure if this gets compensated for anywhere. pressure doesnt, right? thats why tuners will stick the probe in the tailpipe most of the time, at least over here, even when using a motec box.
Old 12-05-2017, 08:40 PM
10 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This should win thread of the year! Some of the greatest pwnage ever seen on LS1tech!
Old 12-06-2017, 07:37 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Wow this thread has been everything I could have asked for and more lmao. Got a little off topic, but still pretty great. Anyway long story short I just had another bung welded in for the WB
Old 12-06-2017, 11:41 AM
FormerVendor

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts

Default RA with UEGO Calibration Effects

Hi Dain, NO DATA, as stated in my post, the "over-read" 1650+ is NOT recommended by NTK due to improper sensor operation.

THE RA effects Lambda, sure, thus NO comp required.
THE gas pressure does effect the calibration which is noted in the resistor. (Sea Level)

YES, the Pipe Probe ???

The shop air is pulsed into the exhaust pipe causing an IMPROPER READ at Throttled conditions.

Lance

Quick Reply: Wideband in stock O2 location