PCM Diagnostics & Tuning HP Tuners | Holley | Diablo
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Inexpensive Opensource Flashing(Read is 100% working)

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-2019, 11:31 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 157 Likes on 73 Posts

Originally Posted by LSxPwrDZ
All of these are 0-5v inputs:
EGR (need to disable spark and fueling modifiers)
AC (need to zero tq adders and bump spark so idle and spark manipulation doesn't occur at various voltage inputs)
Trans Temp Sensor (spare if no automatic trans is being used)
Fuel Tank Level Sensor 1
Fuel Tank Level Sensor 2
Fuel Tank Pressure

Then you have the 4 available o2 signal inputs but are limited to around 1.1v input. Some modification to the input circuit on the board of the PCM could increase those values some but haven't looked into that (did this on the old OBD1 Honda ECU's years ago).
You also have the oil pressure sensor input that's a 0-5V input. This one is some what OS dependent on the P01's but is there on all the P59's.
Old 02-24-2019, 03:11 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks Pete, I imagine you are right and I'm doing something wrong. With PCM Hammer I get the following error message:

[02:54:26:362] PCM Hammer 005
[02:54:26:768] Voltage: 0.0V
[02:54:26:784] Elm ID: ELM327 v2.1
[02:54:26:940] All Pro ID: Copyright (c) 2009-2018 ObdDiag.Net This is free software; see the source for copying conditions.
[02:54:26:940] All Pro self test result: PWM wiring failed [0-
[02:54:26:956] All Pro firmware: 1] VPW wiring failed [1-
[02:54:27:034] Thanks for using PCM Hammer.
[02:54:27:206] Unable to initialize AllPro on COM4

Alex sent me a link to update the driver which I ran but afterwards I got the same result with the test.

Since my OBDLink LX came today I connected it and was able to access OBDWiz on this laptop as well as on my phone. Just included that to show I'm not completely incompetent. However, this is at about the limit of my skills. Does the above error message suggest a possible cause and remedy to anyone?

Jim
Old 02-24-2019, 03:46 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by PeteS160
I appreciate your trying to help but linking an Hp Tuners video in a topic that's sole purpose is to provide a free and viable alternatives to commercial flash tools such as Hp Tuners is anything but helpful.

Now linking a video outlining the same thing but using the PCM Hammer and Tuner Pro would be VERY helpful for people
I am not a computer Geek I don't know how to code. I am reading and learning as I go .. I followed this thread .. The question was asked can it be done? I posted a link to about HP Tuners because I just learned that it exists... The fact that it exists proves that it can be done.. That was my point.
When I was 14 years old I put a GYT Kit on my 1974 Yamaha YZ 80-A and ported it to a point it would blow away all the 80s that kids fathers and race shops build .. Lots of blisters on my fingers using hand files.. Later I got a Dremel and die grinder tool..

When I was 16 years old I ported a 1976 Yamaha 125 MX C I pulled the whole shot in the first Motocross race I was ever in.. The 80 was in flat track bike.

My 1979 Z-28 Camaro still had the stock 8,2 to one compression cast pistons bottom end Ported 76 cc smog heads 1.94 intake 1.50 exhaust headers 2327 350 HP cam Holley street Dominator open plenum intake with heat risers welded shut Headers ,, distributor timing slots filed out for more total advance and 110 HP plate Nitrous kit;; I could beat mid 12 second cars on the street all day long with street tires
Then I spent the next 35 years restoring old Trucks cranes and front end loaders for my business.. Not a single one of them having any sort of computer on them..

So if you are computer nerd or Geek great for you .. OH now my Truck uses a $3,000 computer and $3,000 GPS to control the limes spreader and .and for GPS guidance and coverage mapping across a field

You might want to be thankful that GM does not care if you mess with their ECM's or not .. Though I will bet Big Brother EPA does not like it..

Why don't you try hacking a John Deer Tracker that won't run right and see if your *** does not end up in Prison for making a John Deere Run better ..

Good luck with your very limited
GM ECU I think I will go with a user friendly aftermarket UCE that will learn and tune can work with all LS-3 censors has data logging ect .. Plus will work with an all electronic Instrument panel that eliminated the need to purchase a bunch of aftermarket gauges
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Haltech-Eli...d=113290691349

Last edited by MarkZ281979; 02-24-2019 at 03:54 PM.
Old 02-24-2019, 04:01 PM
9 Second Club

Received 180 Likes on 155 Posts

Originally Posted by MarkZ281979
I am not a computer Geek I don't know how to code. I am reading and learning as I go .. I followed this thread .. The question was asked can it be done? I posted a link to about HP Tuners because I just learned that it exists... The fact that it exists proves that it can be done.. That was my point.
When I was 14 years old I put a GYT Kit on my 1974 Yamaha YZ 80-A and ported it to a point it would blow away all the 80s that kids fathers and race shops build .. Lots of blisters on my fingers using hand files.. Later I got a Dremel and die grinder tool..

When I was 16 years old I ported a 1976 Yamaha 125 MX C I pulled the whole shot in the first Motocross race I was ever in.. The 80 was in flat track bike.

My 1979 Z-28 Camaro still had the stock 8,2 to one compression cast pistons bottom end Ported 76 cc smog heads 1.94 intake 1.50 exhaust headers 2327 350 HP cam Holley street Dominator open plenum intake with heat risers welded shut Headers ,, distributor timing slots filed out for more total advance and 110 HP plate Nitrous kit;; I could beat mid 12 second cars on the street all day long with street tires
Then I spent the next 35 years restoring old Trucks cranes and front end loaders for my business.. Not a single one of them having any sort of computer on them..

So if you are computer nerd or Geek great for you .. OH now my Truck uses a $3,000 computer and $3,000 GPS to control the limes spreader and .and for GPS guidance and coverage mapping across a field

You might want to be thankful that GM does not care if you mess with their ECM's or not .. Though I will bet Big Brother EPA does not like it..

Why don't you try hacking a John Deer Tracker that won't run right and see if your *** does not end up in Prison for making a John Deere Run better ..

Good luck with your very limited
GM ECU I think I will go with a user friendly aftermarket UCE that will learn and tune can work with all LS-3 censors has data logging ect .. Plus will work with an all electronic Instrument panel that eliminated the need to purchase a bunch of aftermarket gauges
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Haltech-Eli...d=113290691349

What planet are you on ?
Old 02-24-2019, 04:58 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 526 Likes on 356 Posts

Originally Posted by stevieturbo
What planet are you on ?

try and ignore him. looks like king talon done grown up
Old 02-24-2019, 08:40 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Jim Blackwood
Thanks Pete, I imagine you are right and I'm doing something wrong. With PCM Hammer I get the following error message:

[02:54:26:362] PCM Hammer 005
[02:54:26:768] Voltage: 0.0V
[02:54:26:784] Elm ID: ELM327 v2.1
[02:54:26:940] All Pro ID: Copyright (c) 2009-2018 ObdDiag.Net This is free software; see the source for copying conditions.
[02:54:26:940] All Pro self test result: PWM wiring failed [0-
[02:54:26:956] All Pro firmware: 1] VPW wiring failed [1-
[02:54:27:034] Thanks for using PCM Hammer.
[02:54:27:206] Unable to initialize AllPro on COM4

Alex sent me a link to update the driver which I ran but afterwards I got the same result with the test.

Since my OBDLink LX came today I connected it and was able to access OBDWiz on this laptop as well as on my phone. Just included that to show I'm not completely incompetent. However, this is at about the limit of my skills. Does the above error message suggest a possible cause and remedy to anyone?

Jim
The Allpro is reading 0.0 volts....thats an issue. Do you know how to use a serial terminal? We should send a couple of "Test" commands directly from the Allpro to make sure it does in fact work correctly before looking into why its seeing 0.0 volts.
Old 02-25-2019, 12:09 PM
Teching In

Wow Pete, it's really been a very long time, and I see Hyperterminal is no longer available with Win10, so I downloaded PuTTY, XCTM, and Console but now that I've got them I don't know what to do with them. Really kinda lost here. Anyway with XCTM I tried discovering com4 which shows USB-Serial CH340 and got the following error, maybe that helps? Sounds like a possible port conflict? (I'm just guessing here)

Could not find any device in port com4 >Error initializing XBee device parameters >Port is already in use by other applications.

Jim
Old 02-25-2019, 08:25 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Jim Blackwood
Wow Pete, it's really been a very long time, and I see Hyperterminal is no longer available with Win10, so I downloaded PuTTY, XCTM, and Console but now that I've got them I don't know what to do with them. Really kinda lost here. Anyway with XCTM I tried discovering com4 which shows USB-Serial CH340 and got the following error, maybe that helps? Sounds like a possible port conflict? (I'm just guessing here)

Could not find any device in port com4 >Error initializing XBee device parameters >Port is already in use by other applications.

Jim
Maybe try looking at this program. It's my "Go To" terminal program because it works and is simple to use.
https://ttssh2.osdn.jp/index.html.en

Once you connect to the Allpro in the terminal set the baud to 115200.

Then send the command ATZ, this will reboot the Allpro and it will report it's 'Elm" version.

Assuming you get a reply back from the Allpro here are the next couple commands you would need to send hitting Enter after each one. They will ALL give you a reply. If you get a ? you need to reenter the command, you can NOT use a back space of the Allpro will fail to read the command every time.

AT SP2 (enter)
AT AL(enter)
AT H1(enter)
01 0C (enter)
You should get a reply back from the PCM something like
48 6B 10 41 0C 00 00 53

If your able to get that far then the tool is working for J1850 VPW.

Last edited by PeteS160; 02-25-2019 at 11:32 PM.
Old 02-25-2019, 08:38 PM
Teching In

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by PeteS160
Maybe try looking at this program. It's my "Go To" terminal program because it works and is simple to use.

Once you connect to the Allpro in the terminal set the baud to 115200.

Then send the command ATZ, this will reboot the Allpro and it will report it's 'Elm" version.

Assuming you get a reply back from the Allpro here are the next couple commands you would need to send hitting Enter after each one. They will ALL give you a reply. If you get a ? you need to reenter the command, you can NOT use a back space of the Allpro will fail to read the command every time.

AT SP2 (enter)
AT AL(enter)
AT H1(enter)
01 0C (enter)
You should get a reply back from the PCM something like
48 6B 10 41 0C 00 00 53

If your able to get that far then the tool is working for J1850 VPW.
Hi all,

Pete, the name of the program is missing from your reply.

Jim Blackwood, I am using PUTTY myself and have no problem, so YES it sounds as if you are having a port conflict - especially with the XBee reference!

Mike
Old 02-25-2019, 08:44 PM
Teching In

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Hi all,

Just a heads up for you all.
It seems that the ALLPro interface units are currently UNAVAILABLE due to being sold out!
Hopefully he will be able to get more made, or allow "us" to use his CAD files so "we" can get some made ourselves. (NOT going to hold my breath on THIS though)

Mike.
Old 02-25-2019, 10:25 PM
Teching In

Yeah, having an easy to use terminal would be a hoot. Hey, I'm trying. Not getting far but.... Tell you guys what, just assume I know NOTHING about pinging a port. And I've not got the right terminal emulator. Is that OK for a start? I've made a little headway, UCTU is at least giving me number/letter pairs (looks like hex) but it translates what I type into gobbledygook. I have no idea if that helps.

Jim
Old 02-25-2019, 11:33 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Forum didn't like how I linked it I guess....

https://ttssh2.osdn.jp/index.html.en
Old 02-25-2019, 11:40 PM
TECH Resident

Received 135 Likes on 103 Posts

Originally Posted by MudDuck514
It seems that the ALLPro interface units are currently UNAVAILABLE due to being sold out!
Hopefully he will be able to get more made, or allow "us" to use his CAD files so "we" can get some made ourselves. (NOT going to hold my breath on THIS though)
He's said via email that his minimum order was 500 units and he wasn't willing to put up that much money as they weren't selling fast enough for that to make sense. I'm a little bummed as I was really hoping he'd continue producing them, and kinda hoping he'd make a decent profit from all of this. It's a pretty nice piece of hardware.

However, if someone wants to tackle the production challenges, it looks like he's published everything you need, other than supplier contacts and contracts...

http://obddiag.net/images/allpro/AllProUsb.pdf
http://obddiag.net/allpro/allpro-mfgr-data.zip
http://obddiag.net/allpro.html
https://github.com/ObdDiag-Net/allpro
Old 02-26-2019, 12:10 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by MudDuck514
Hi all,

Just a heads up for you all.

Mike.
I was hoping I wasn't going to be the one who had to address this but I'll do it before people start crying that the sky is falling.

Antus@pcmhacking has spoken with Alex at Allpro a couple of times about this and the end result is that the Allpro USB is done....poof...gone....they are not making any more of them.

I was able to recreate the the pcb layout and came up with a list of components last summer when we suspected there might have been an issue at the time and I can tell you for a fact that Allpro was selling them for almost what they cost to have manufactured. There was very little if anything being made on them. The Allpro device was created as a "Hobby" and even though they didn't have to make any of the firmware changes the time they were taking to deal with processing order and shipping became more then he wanted to deal with.

Everyone working on this project has invested an enormous amount of effort getting the Allpro to work so we know how people are going to feel about this but it is what it is.

And just like that it looks as if a "Cheap" alternative to commercial flashing may fail yet again......but from the ashes something even greater will rise and take it's place.....

Now some people may call it foolishness and others may call it being suborn but I don't let failure stop me, it's just another bump in the road along the way that lets you push yourself in ways you never thought possible.

An Allpro replacement has been in the works for a while now, I hinted at it a couple weeks ago just to see what type of reaction there would be. The fact of the matter is I've been developing a tool with Envious Customs for a lot longer then anyone might have suspected. It will not only replace the Allpro but it will absolutely smash it when it comes to speed.

This is what the current prototype looks likes but it will be changed a good bit before being made into a "Production" piece.

Spoiler!

There is only ONE other tool that's even on par with what we've named the DVI and that's the AVT - 852. Currently in release 5 of the Pcm Hammer the DVI is still a couple of seconds faster then the AVT and we still think we can improve that a bit more. We are shooting for a P01 read time of less then 2 minutes and a calibration flash time of under 30 seconds and were VERY close to doing that now.

We don't have an exact price point just yet, that's really going to come down to the final design. But to keep with the spirit of "inexpensive" it will be around the cost of what the Allpro USB was selling for.

This is a prototype we are waiting on the pcb's to be manufactured for of what we may end up using for a production design. Trying to balance cost of parts, difficulty of building and finding an encloser that's readily avaible the device will fit in has been the biggest challenge of this project.
Spoiler!

The DVI in action......
Spoiler!
Old 02-26-2019, 03:40 PM
Teching In

I'm all for anything that makes it faster/easier. Is the OBDLink (LX) even under consideration for laptop usage?

I loaded TerraTerm VT and was able to get responses to my inputs. I tried a screenshot but that didn't work. So the results are:
atz
ELM327 v2.1
>at sp2
OK
>at al
OK
>at h1
OK
>01 0c
NO DATA
>

That last line must indicate where the issue is. What does it mean? Is this the counterfeit chip issue?

Jim
Old 02-26-2019, 04:56 PM
TECH Addict

Received 476 Likes on 366 Posts

Just curious,, have you considered the model that mega squirt uses? Bag of parts, don't bother with the enclosure..
Old 02-26-2019, 05:18 PM
9 Second Club

Received 180 Likes on 155 Posts

Although not the cheapest, and given your guys background, would the Tactrix not be an option ? Or is it hardware specific to the Jap stuff ? Although it is used for a lot of other platforms too ?
At least it is readily available though
Old 02-26-2019, 10:45 PM
TECH Resident

I've been meaning to investigate that. I asked them directly and they said their OpenPort doesn't support J1850 VPW (the OBD2 flavor that the P01/P59 use) but I saw something elsewhere that said they DO support it. So I dunno.

Subaru uses ISO 9141 or CAN (depending on the year) so I'd be kind of surprised if it actually worked. But it's worth a try. I have one kicking around somewhere, just gotta dig it up.
Old 02-27-2019, 01:44 AM
TECH Resident

I just had a successful P59 calibration flash. I need to wrap up a couple things (including the "Hammer Time" dashboard message) but I'll try to get the next release out this weekend.
Old 02-27-2019, 01:52 AM
TECH Enthusiast

The Tactrix interface does not support the j 1850 VPW protocol at the hardware level. It's unfortunate because the rest of the hardware it's built with is pretty well designed.

Quick Reply: Inexpensive Opensource Flashing(Read is 100% working)