Sponsored by:

Crate LS3 with ASA cam - idle high and revs hang

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2018, 12:23 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post Crate LS3 with ASA cam - idle high and revs hang

Guys,

I have just fitted a crate LS3 into a Porsche 996. I swapped the stock 430hp cam for an ASA cam. I have used the GM wiring harness and ECU that is pre-tuned for the LS3 525 hp.

I am having issues - my tickover is 1000rpm, and the Revs hang when driving, i.e if you change gear at 3000rpm and push the clutch in and let off the gas the rpm takes ages to drop.

Lots of people have advised its a vacuum leak - I cannot find one. As the motor is new I am struggling, and thinking it may be the tune the ECU came with.

Any advice please?

Note: i'm good with mechanical stuff and fabrication, but struggling with this modern electronic tuning.

Mark from the UK.
Old 04-07-2018, 01:20 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1,394 Likes on 880 Posts

Hey Mark,

Do you have the VSS hooked up? It is optional with the GMPP ECU, but I believe it will help with what you are experiencing.

Andrew
Old 04-07-2018, 03:56 PM
Launching!

mark,

I'm assuming this has a cable throttle body fitted?

if so you need to be sure that at idle without touching the accelerator the throttle position reads 0%. you can verify this with any basic OBD2 handheld scanner/code reader.

if it says anything greater that 0.8% the car will never idle properly.

The ECU also needs a speed signal input to operate how most "mail order" tunes are set up
Old 04-07-2018, 04:15 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1,394 Likes on 880 Posts

Originally Posted by Luke19901
mark,

I'm assuming this has a cable throttle body fitted?

if so you need to be sure that at idle without touching the accelerator the throttle position reads 0%. you can verify this with any basic OBD2 handheld scanner/code reader.

if it says anything greater that 0.8% the car will never idle properly.

The ECU also needs a speed signal input to operate how most "mail order" tunes are set up
He said he is using the GM harness, so this would mean a Gen IV, e67 ECU and DBW.

Andrew
Old 04-10-2018, 02:35 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Project GatTagO
He said he is using the GM harness, so this would mean a Gen IV, e67 ECU and DBW.

Andrew
Guys, to clarify I am using drive by wire. I do not have the VSS connected. I do not understand how the VSS affects the PCM? If it does affect it, can it be disabled?

The car is at a local Porsche independent dealer for a few bits and bobs and I have asked him to smoke test it so I can 100% eliminate that from my investigation.

HTH.

Mark.