PCM Diagnostics & Tuning HP Tuners | Holley | Diablo
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Can't reflash TODAY, but could YESTERDAY???, after-new site, new log-on, etc...

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-2018, 06:12 PM
TECH Resident

Received 193 Likes on 134 Posts

NicD thanks for the confirmation. At least now I can tell my customer that he has a problem on his truck that needs to be looked at.
Old 06-12-2018, 08:21 AM
11 Second Club

Received 288 Likes on 190 Posts

Question

Originally Posted by NicD
Bill at HP Tuners is correct, boot loader timeouts and negative response codes are related to serial data wiring and any modules tied into it or power/ground issues.

Sorry to revive this yet again...

But if this is indeed a wiring/power/ground issue, then why will/can the car reflash with no problem, if I uncheck the "Use High Speed" option?

Old 06-12-2018, 09:44 AM
7 Second Club

Received 306 Likes on 206 Posts

Originally Posted by rel3rd
Sorry to revive this yet again...

But if this is indeed a wiring/power/ground issue, then why will/can the car reflash with no problem, if I uncheck the "Use High Speed" option?

Because that's exactly what the low speed options is for, to try to help flash vehicles with problems such as this.
Old 06-12-2018, 11:27 AM
11 Second Club

Question

Originally Posted by NicD
Because that's exactly what the low speed options is for, to try to help flash vehicles with problems such as this.
Thanks for the reply.
Any suggestions on where to look?
All connections that I know of, between ALDL and ECM harness, have been checked and rechecked.
It's not too hateful taking an extra minute or so to do a reflash, but I wonder if there will be a time that it won't even work in slow mode.
Old 06-12-2018, 06:01 PM
TECH Resident

I can tell you for sure that I was having multiple issues trying to tune my customers truck. It would stall/fail part way through and then the truck would not start... So, even though you can uncheck the "HIGH SPEED" option, it does not guarantee that you will be able to burn/tune without issue. My customer has not come back so I can't tell you if his situation has changed. Honestly, I hope that he never comes back. It was so scary thinking the PCM was going to brick that it was not worth any amount of $$ to work on his vehicle. I only charged him the 2 credits that HPT charged me for... I wanted ZERO liability with that vehicle and so I took no money from the customer for my time. I made sure that his receipt indicated "HP Tuner credits to unlock the PCM" NO LABOR. NO SERVICE CHARGE. NO WARRANTY. The last thing I need is him coming back later blaming me for the wiring problem, or PCM problem, on his truck.
Old 06-12-2018, 09:40 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by Kawabuggy
I can tell you for sure that I was having multiple issues trying to tune my customers truck. It would stall/fail part way through and then the truck would not start... So, even though you can uncheck the "HIGH SPEED" option, it does not guarantee that you will be able to burn/tune without issue. My customer has not come back so I can't tell you if his situation has changed. Honestly, I hope that he never comes back. It was so scary thinking the PCM was going to brick that it was not worth any amount of $$ to work on his vehicle. I only charged him the 2 credits that HPT charged me for... I wanted ZERO liability with that vehicle and so I took no money from the customer for my time. I made sure that his receipt indicated "HP Tuner credits to unlock the PCM" NO LABOR. NO SERVICE CHARGE. NO WARRANTY. The last thing I need is him coming back later blaming me for the wiring problem, or PCM problem, on his truck.
Well, with this being my own car, I'm kinda screwed. It's odd i keep hearing its a wiring issue,but no one can point me in the right direction as to where I should be looking, or how to correct it.
HPTuners forums gets me pretty much no help at all. Have you ever gotten any feedback from them regarding the truck you had issues with?
Old 06-12-2018, 11:54 PM
FormerVendor

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

Its most likely a ground issue, check all your engine grounds, body grounds under the hood etc... If you want to see if its a ground use jumper cables and ground the engine, then try the frame and so on to see if that changes anything.
Old 06-13-2018, 02:13 AM
On The Tree

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Well, today at the track. Needed to add a touch of fuel, so made a tune change, saved and went to reflash....back to the same issue....tried waiting with key on, waiting with key off, closing and reopening Editor...no luck. Started car, idled for 15-20 seconds, turned engine off, reflashed no problem.
i had this on a ECM once never got down to the bottom of it, flashed the same file onto a new pcm never did it happen again, faulty ecu that got worse with heat, drove fine ect.

Old 06-13-2018, 05:49 AM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by LSX Power Tuning
Its most likely a ground issue, check all your engine grounds, body grounds under the hood etc... If you want to see if its a ground use jumper cables and ground the engine, then try the frame and so on to see if that changes anything.
Thanks for the reply. I'll try this.
Old 06-13-2018, 05:51 AM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by 80gus
i had this on a ECM once never got down to the bottom of it, flashed the same file onto a new pcm never did it happen again, faulty ecu that got worse with heat, drove fine ect.
Thanks for the reply.
The part that has me the most puzzled is flashing and reflashing 8 times the one day...then park the car inside my shop, go to flash it the next day, and it's never been the same since. It's definitely not (imo) heat related, since it first showe dup after sitting in 60 degree building all night.
Old 06-14-2018, 07:42 PM
On The Tree

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default ??

I wasn't connected to scanner this morning. I have had that little irritation happen before though. Thanks.

wait!! can someone enlighten me... maybe this is the issues im having??

Old 06-15-2018, 06:05 AM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by Voluptuous-V
wait!! can someone enlighten me... maybe this is the issues im having??
You can't reflash if you have the Scanner AND Editor open at the same time
Old 07-19-2018, 08:26 AM
11 Second Club

Thumbs up

JUST TO UPDATE....

The newest version of HPTuners for some reason cannot "STANDALONE" datalog any SAE channels, like RPM, MPH, TIMING, etc...which made the standalone datalogging function worthless, since it didn't work properly...

It was suggested by Bill on HPTuners to try downloading the latest BETA version of the software, and see if it "fixed" that issue.

I did, and not only did the disappearing channels re-appear and are able to log again, but I have not had one single issue reflashing the car, and high speed, over and over again...

So....IMHO, this means there was NOT (nor was there ever) a problem with my wiring, my car, my whatever...there were/are bugs in the software, PERIOD.

Regardless, with the newest BETA software, EVERYTHING works as it should once again...

Old 07-19-2018, 09:59 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3,135 Likes on 2,445 Posts

Good to hear, rel3rd!
Old 07-22-2018, 01:03 PM
TECH Resident

That is great news.

On my customers vehicle I had not at that time done any software "updates" prior to, nor after that. Further, I was able to tune other vehicles on the same day, both before, and after, the customers truck in question. Maybe your truck is fine, and your problem was only with the software. However, in my customers sitution-there is something wrong with his vehicle. He has still not contacted me again and I'm happy for it!
Old 07-22-2018, 03:04 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by G Atsma
Good to hear, rel3rd!
Originally Posted by Kawabuggy
That is great news.
Thanks guys.
I had STRONG doubts from the start that my car, had overnight, sitting in my garage, developed wiring issues...but it's always easy, for any company, to deflect liability and point the finger away from their products. They KNOW that the newest "update" will not allow any SAE channel parameters to be logged via the standalone function that I paid extra for, yet say "I'll be waiting a while", for a new software release...

Now...a suggested download of the latest BETA software corrects BOTH the standalone logging issues, AND the normal, high speed reflash both work as they are supposed to. That is great, and proved to me that the software is flawed and there are no issues with MY car...kinda BS that instead of HPTuners helping, they immediately point the blame away from their known latest software problems...