PCM Diagnostics & Tuning HP Tuners | Holley | Diablo
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Can't reflash TODAY, but could YESTERDAY???, after-new site, new log-on, etc...

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-2018, 08:46 AM
11 Second Club

Received 284 Likes on 187 Posts

Question Can't reflash TODAY, but could YESTERDAY???, after-new site, new log-on, etc...

HPTuners recently revamped their whole website, so I had to re-register/join, so I could download the latest software and drivers onto my new laptop...

After work, YESTERDAY...
Had a tune I wanted to try, and when I tried to flash it, I got an error message box...(picture attached)

Did a quick Google search, and most feedback said it was because a vehicle had electrical issues, had been flashed elsewhere, or something to that effect...

One reply (found on this site) said, CHECK THE BATTERY...

Well, car had been sitting, and (lo & behold) the battery was very weak....I replaced it, and was able to reflash the new scaled injector tune....didn't like it, so reflashed back to prior tune, and did I think 2 (maybe 3) more reflashes after doing some datalogs...Had ZERO issue doing so.

Today, I needed to go on a parts run, and wanted to take the car, so I just tried to reflash it again, after a few tweaks, and can't because I get the same error message....but battery voltage is fine

I attached tune file, but all I did between last flash, and this morning, is added a little fuel....
I also attached HPTuners info

Any ideas??

Last edited by rel3rd; 02-06-2020 at 08:42 AM.
Old 05-24-2018, 10:33 AM
TECH Addict

Received 38 Likes on 34 Posts

Disconnect from the scanner
Old 05-24-2018, 11:00 AM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by MY_2K_Z
Disconnect from the scanner
I wasn't connected to scanner this morning. I have had that little irritation happen before though. Thanks.
Old 05-25-2018, 05:32 PM
TECH Resident

Received 193 Likes on 134 Posts

Oh my gosh!! What timing! I had a customer in my shop yesterday with an ALL STOCK 2004 Silverado that I was getting the exact same error message on!!!!!!!! It would time out, and or fail repeatedly when trying to burn a tune to it. I figured out that I had to uncheck the "USE HIGH SPEED" box in order to write a tune to the computer. The cust swears the truck has NEVER had a hand-held tuner, or ANY type of tune done on the truck! Even un-checking the HIGH SPEED box, it still failed to fully burn a tune and then the customers truck would not start, and we lost the GEAR position indicator on the dash. I had to burn the factory tune back into it, and then burn the modified tune into it a 2nd time, then it worked. After that we went out to data log and again it would not burn, and failed part way through a modified tune burn, and I had to revert back to the last known tune that worked. As a test, I went to my truck and plugged in and everything worked perfectly right off the bat. Something was definitely fishy with his truck and we could never figure it out. I told him I would work on the tune in my computer, polish it, and then he could come back later so we could *attempt* to tune his truck again. Honestly, I'm nervous about touching it again for fear it may brick...

I was getting the exact same "negative response code" as you mention. We had a jump box on his battery to keep the voltage up, and in this manner insure the battery voltage did not drop too low while burning.. It made no difference though as we kept getting the error message.

Does anyone know what error message really means?
Old 05-25-2018, 06:00 PM
11 Second Club

My apologies for not updating...

I tried again a little while later, and it flashed with no problem...lol.

As for why it wouldn't earlier??? I have no idea.

I reflashed it 8 times the day prior
Old 05-26-2018, 04:52 PM
TECH Resident

That is so weird. When my customer comes back I will post an update as to if his is now taking tunes, or still having issues. I'm crossing my fingers that there are no more problems.
Old 05-26-2018, 06:40 PM
TECH Addict

Received 475 Likes on 365 Posts

There are a couple fancy battery chargers out there that have a special mode just for when burning ECU's, they provide regulated power so the voltage stays dead on during the burn.
Old 05-26-2018, 06:48 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by Kawabuggy
That is so weird. When my customer comes back I will post an update as to if his is now taking tunes, or still having issues. I'm crossing my fingers that there are no more problems.
Well, today at the track. Needed to add a touch of fuel, so made a tune change, saved and went to reflash....back to the same issue....tried waiting with key on, waiting with key off, closing and reopening Editor...no luck. Started car, idled for 15-20 seconds, turned engine off, reflashed no problem.

Bill at HPTuners says it pretty much has to be writing issue, yet never had this issue, ever, with previous laptop or previous software versions...

Originally Posted by pdxmotorhead
There are a couple fancy battery chargers out there that have a special mode just for when burning ECU's, they provide regulated power so the voltage stays dead on during the burn.
I cant fathom there being a voltage issue on a 32 second long reflash.
Old 05-27-2018, 02:09 PM
TECH Resident

We use jump boxes designed to help start cars with dead, or weak batteries, when we are burning tunes. The jump box displays the actual voltage on the display and it keeps it super stable during this operation. It also means the battery can't suddenly fail if it were to have a bad cell internally. On this truck, it made ZERO difference. I kept getting the error code, and could only burn if I unchecked the "USE HIGH SPEED" box, and even then it was iffy whether it would time out or fail. Since I unchecked the USE HIGH SPEED box it would take almost 4 minutes to burn a tune. I will keep posting back, and checking this link for information. If/when my customer comes back, I will post an update as to if it is working correctly, or still having issues.
Old 05-27-2018, 03:00 PM
11 Second Club

We use jump boxes designed to help start cars with dead, or weak batteries, when we are burning tunes. The jump box displays the actual voltage on the display and it keeps it super stable during this operation. It also means the battery can't suddenly fail if it were to have a bad cell internally. On this truck, it made ZERO difference. I kept getting the error code, and could only burn if I unchecked the "USE HIGH SPEED" box, and even then it was iffy whether it would time out or fail. Since I unchecked the USE HIGH SPEED box it would take almost 4 minutes to burn a tune. I will keep posting back, and checking this link for information. If/when my customer comes back, I will post an update as to if it is working correctly, or still having issues.
Do you happen to have also just recently uploaded the newest software update? Or a new laptop? I have done both in the last week...

HPTuners, like a lot of vendors, seems to quickly deflect whenever their products are questioned. I was told, Wiring issue...OK...WTF does that mean? Where would I start? What would I look for? What wires? Yeah, lemme go order a new hraness....Their site used to be very helpful...Now, replies seem to only have a 5 word maximum, and very general...there used to always be people there who'd actually explain things to us....I am no tuner. I am a car/truck owner who just happens to tune his own stuff....or they to, lol
Old 05-28-2018, 02:19 PM
TECH Resident

I have not changed my lap top, or updated the HPT version well... since I bought it almost 6 months ago. Also, after having several failed attempts to burn a tune, I went to my personal truck and was able to instantly burn a tune on my truck like normal, with no issues. The truck I was having issues with is the FIRST vehicle I have ever experienced this with. Since that customer left I have tuned another vehicle and had ZERO issues as well.

I don't want to tell you for sure that it's your truck, but I think it is your truck. Same with my customer.. If he comes back and we are still having problems burning tunes, I'm going to tell him he needs to find another PCM and we will try again with a different PCM to see if that solves the issue. That's the only thing I can think to do.
Old 05-28-2018, 04:05 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Default failed flash

I had same problem on 2010 truck. only thing I did was close drivers door .then I was able to reflash .I had been trying standing the driver door
Old 05-28-2018, 06:00 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3,021 Likes on 2,352 Posts

Originally Posted by tim wellington
I had same problem on 2010 truck. only thing I did was close drivers door .then I was able to reflash .I had been trying standing the driver door
Is it possible the door light switch was sending the PCM a signal not to function in some way??? Weird I know, but stranger things have happened...
Old 05-29-2018, 05:58 AM
11 Second Club

I have not changed my lap top, or updated the HPT version well... since I bought it almost 6 months ago. Also, after having several failed attempts to burn a tune, I went to my personal truck and was able to instantly burn a tune on my truck like normal, with no issues. The truck I was having issues with is the FIRST vehicle I have ever experienced this with. Since that customer left I have tuned another vehicle and had ZERO issues as well.

I don't want to tell you for sure that it's your truck, but I think it is your truck. Same with my customer.. If he comes back and we are still having problems burning tunes, I'm going to tell him he needs to find another PCM and we will try again with a different PCM to see if that solves the issue. That's the only thing I can think to do.
Actually, it's a car , but with a 6.0/4L80E, evidently, it was easier somewhere before me, to use a truck pcm.

What makes no sense to me is that I reflashed a total of 8 times the prior day. No problem whatsoever...and I have also reflashed this car literally dozens of times in the last 6+ months, as it my personal car. Car was parked, and after viewing my last datalog, made a few tweaks, then went to reflash it the next day before using it for a parts run.

I'm not grasping how/why the car suddenly has a wiring issue, after being parked for 12 hours......

Originally Posted by tim wellington
Originally Posted by G Atsma
Is it possible the door light switch was sending the PCM a signal not to function in some way??? Weird I know, but stranger things have happened...
Well, won't hurt to try, I guess.
FWIW, the day prior, I was indeed sitting in the car, taking quick datalogs, then reflashing, never once exiting the car.
BUT....
I usually (90% of the time), stoop down beside the car, with the door open, and the laptop on the seat...regardless, I'll retry with door closed...

I'll do that some time today and report back.
Old 05-29-2018, 03:21 PM
TECH Resident

I can tell you for sure the drivers side door being open, or closed, is not the cause with the vehicle I was working on. Initially, when we were at my shop we were trying to burn with the door open, and it was having problems. Then later after data logging for VE updates, we attempted to burn with the drivers side door CLOSED as we were parked on the side of the road, it still had problems and times out with the same error code. In fact, it almost seemed WORSE with the drivers door closed. Anyway, that was a good thought as to a potential issue. I will pay very close attention when he comes back to see if the door position makes any difference.
Old 05-29-2018, 06:00 PM
FormerVendor

Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by pdxmotorhead
The ones we use is $400+ and that is a cheaper one. It makes a HUGE difference though.
Old 05-30-2018, 08:45 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Had a buddy with a Turbo swapped fox with a p59 stop by having this same issue. Been flashing fine touching up the tune, and changing stuff. Two days ago it started to error out.
Old 05-30-2018, 07:09 PM
TECH Resident

I wonder if HPT support needs to be made aware of this situation and maybe they can find a common cause, or solution for the problem?
Old 05-31-2018, 06:10 AM
11 Second Club

Arrow

I wonder if HPT support needs to be made aware of this situation and maybe they can find a common cause, or solution for the problem?
I have the same titled thread on their forum, as I do here...redundant, hoping someone else had experienced the same issue, which according to the replies here, at least a few more have indeed...

Here's the reply I got from Bill @ HPTuners:
Bootloader errors are almost always related to a battery or wiring related issue. If you've ruled out the battery you should start looking into the wiring of this 19 year old vehicle...

So, basically, the opinion there is, my 19 year old car is the problem...

He also said a wiring issue would only affect flashing, NOT datalogging or reading a tune, which I don't honestly understand.
Old 05-31-2018, 02:37 PM
7 Second Club

Received 283 Likes on 187 Posts

Bill at HP Tuners is correct, boot loader timeouts and negative response codes are related to serial data wiring and any modules tied into it or power/ground issues.