Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New LQ9 Build stumble at half throttle

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-2018, 08:56 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 380 Likes on 252 Posts

Originally Posted by ElQueFør
Many will say that Lambda is more accurate. I for whatever reason prefer to use AFR instead. Just makes more sense in my mind.

Here's how to setup your wideband:
You'll want to right click in the channel list and go to "Add Channel". (You can also click the little gear icon with the green plus sign).

Then click on "Serial port" then "AEM" and then "AEM - AFR"

Then, close that dialog box and right click on the newly added channel and click on "Transform". Next click on " Click to insert or change".

Then expand the Oxygen sensors folder towards the bottom, and then expand the Air Fuel Ratio folder.

Finally, select your sensor from the list, hit "Yes sounds good!" and then click OK to close the dialog box.

You should now be set up.
Thanks again... I had already set up the AEM WB in the chart list with a tutorial I found at HPT forum. It's set up as "AEM WB" in group 4. Should I switch it to A/F ratio instead of lambda?

Last edited by RedXray; 07-13-2018 at 09:43 PM.
Old 07-13-2018, 09:36 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by subeone
please log Throttle position, your issue can be easily fixed. Go to engine>fuel>power enrichment> EQ ratio (Gas) make all of the values 1.15. then flash the file, and your stumble should go away if indeed your wideband reads as low as 9 when you see that stumble. Looking at your logs, you are running very rich, and don't see any issues with any of your o2 sensors. Everything is working as it should. I would tune it for free, but if i read correctly, you changed your vin back to a v6 and I don't have unlimited v6 trucks, only v8.
You are getting me hopeful

Here are the PE values in the untouched frost tune.

New LQ9 Build stumble at half throttle-jfpl63u.jpg
Old 07-13-2018, 11:04 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 93 Likes on 56 Posts

make all the values 1.15
Old 07-13-2018, 11:56 PM
TECH Enthusiast

make all the values 1.15
That sounds really good... Saturday I'm going to do one more data log with better readings, then I'm gonna change those values to 1.15 and anything else that may need changing.
Old 07-14-2018, 11:22 AM
TECH Enthusiast

I tried some (standalone) data logging and it's not reading important things in the channel list.

On the laptop > Connected to Vehicle > MPVI Pro data logging > Write Config > Press Record > Drive > Press Stop

It only shows a few things on the list and the chart.

New LQ9 Build stumble at half throttle-6le653m.jpg
Old 07-14-2018, 11:25 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

How's it progressing?

I just noticed that first channel list I shared with you doesn't have knock retard in it for some reason. You'll want to log that of course. Either add it in yourself or use this other channel list here which has it.

I've never done standalone logging with the MPVI so I can't help you there unfortunately.
Attached Files
File Type: xml
silverado.Channels.xml (1.6 KB, 16 views)
Old 07-15-2018, 06:27 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Try this channel config and layout file. I set it up to log a bunch more stuff on the charts. Kinda cool I think.
Attached Files
Chase.Channels.xml (1.6 KB, 25 views)
Chase.Layout.xml (14.6 KB, 17 views)
Old 07-16-2018, 08:04 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Found out the new software update was the problem in reading the channel list. Bill@HPTuners said to download the beta VCM suite. It seems to help but somethings are still not showing. Did a short standalone logging drive today. Wednesday I will buy credits, do the PE 1.15 adjustment, then flash.

Attached Files
File Type: hpl
07-16-18.hpl (257.0 KB, 27 views)
Old 07-27-2018, 10:57 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Ok finally was able to get something going. Lowered the Power Enrichment to 1.15 across the tables and it helped a lot. It's still running rich in the 10's but the stumble is gone but I feel it's low on power. Dropped the PE down again to 1.13 and it's about the same. Should I drop it even further like to 1.10? I'm also getting knock retard not sure if it's false as my tru duals have only one muffler clamp, could be hitting something but it's hard to tell because the exhaust is pretty loud. Did a scan but for some reason the wideband is reading incorrectly in the scanner. I redid the channels including the wideband, hopefully tomorrow the wideband will show correct data.

Attached Files
File Type: hpt
PE 1.130.hpt (223.5 KB, 27 views)
PE1.30.hpl (833.8 KB, 25 views)
Old 07-28-2018, 01:35 PM
TECH Enthusiast

You need to get the WB going in the datastream.. Real knock shows up like a stair step shape in the scanner. It looks like some of that knock is probably real knock and not false. I'd pull a couple degrees in those cells that have knock and scan again to see if that took care of it.
Old 07-29-2018, 12:05 PM
TECH Fanatic

here I edited your file. flash it and see how it feels at WOT.
Attached Files
PE 1.130t1.hpt (226.6 KB, 28 views)
Old 07-30-2018, 05:17 PM
TECH Enthusiast

here I edited your file. flash it and see how it feels at WOT.
That really added some power!

Did a scan and I'm probably still missing some important parameters but I did get the wideband reading again. The intake air temps were high because of stopping for fuel and sitting idle in 5:00 traffic on the 2nd scan, and I'm still getting some KR... but It runs SO much better
Attached Files
1st 7-30-18.hpl (524.9 KB, 23 views)
2nd 7-30-18.hpl (687.8 KB, 28 views)
Old 07-30-2018, 07:33 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Aren't you glad you didn't give up when you were understandably discouraged?
Old 07-31-2018, 06:31 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Yep!
Not sure what all subeone did but it is running so much better! The difference is night and day and not sure how he did this without licensing the file... but I am really grateful he took the time to help me out. I'm still studying how this stuff works and I can tell it's gonna take quite awhile just to get the basics.

subeone thank you sir for the tune it means a lot!
and you too ElQue for sound advice when I was stuck!
Old 07-31-2018, 11:32 PM
TECH Fanatic

This is the last revision that I'll do, and should be super close. The rest should be done on a dyno or at the track. I assume youre on 91 octane fuel and close to sea level, at that CR I am comfortable with the timing table I provided and safe to assume you have false knock. Again, verification at the track or dyno would prove in or against my favor. Have fun, hopefully you make a video making some passes or a smoky burnout

and youre welcome its no problem
Attached Files
PE 1.130t2.hpt (228.8 KB, 26 views)
Old 08-01-2018, 10:34 AM
TECH Enthusiast

No problem Red, we're here to help! And subeone helped me get my idle dialed back in after stabbing in a larger cam recently! As far as licensing I think he used the option to unlock all PCMs of a certain platform type therefore giving him unlimited access to the 411 PCMs.

subeone, it looks like the main thing you did was bring the VE table down a bit, and also change the PE AFR from high 10s to around 13? Also the idle under and over speed tables look similar to the ones you setup in my tune. Do you usually use those values there?

Also, what do you think about a spark "cutoff" instead of fuel cutoff? I have my fuel cutoff disabled and instead have the spark drop way off as a way to limit RPM. Seems a safer way to limit RPM, especially for a forced induction setup like mine.
Old 08-01-2018, 05:33 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Talking

I lowered the fuel cutoff to my cams max rpm (6500) in subeones edit. I didn't know you can do it with spark too. Should I raise the fuel cutoff and set the spark cutoff at 6500?

Truck is running strong after subeone's second edit!

Did a quick hit at 40mph, it broke the tire lose at 60 when it shifted, jerking a little bit sideways... felt good!

The wideband is reading 12.54 at wot (6500rpm)
A little KR at very lite throttle in high gear. When the KR shows the whole truck is vibrating with resonance and drone.

I need to get it to the muffler shop so I can get the rest of the Speed Engineering tru-dual tailpipes installed. With the 4/6 drop there is very little room to run the tailpipes between the bed and over the rear housing. That should stop the exhaust from moving. Right now there is only one hanger holding those two heavy muffles and the rest of the system. You can shake the whole system a lot back and forth by hand.

Old 08-01-2018, 06:19 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

the only problem with spark cut and boost is that you're still injecting fuel into a cylinder with no spark to burn it.

that makes it ignite from compression and "diesel". just as bad if not worse than detonation from too much timing. it beats on big end bearings, rods and piston ring lands hard out.

removing fuel if it's not instantaneous in a boosted engine also has downfalls as if its not instantaneous it will exhibit a very lean combustion briefly.

I recently say a 6.0 L98 SBE with cam and springs stripped down. its a manual 4400lb car and has a single T4 75mm turbo on E85. makes just over 900rwhp on 16psi. customer installed his own aftermarket plug and play 2-step. he then proceeded to drive around using it excessively in tunnels, on the free way and in front of every friend that hadn't seen it. he reckons he loved how it sounded and how it shot flames etc etc. anyway about a week later he complains of a ticking/rattling sound. assuming it was lifters the engine was pulled and stripped. lifters were fine.... low and behold the excessive dieseling from spark cut on 2 step still with full PCM controlled fuel bent 2 conrods. had it been on pump gas the pistons would have broken. the tick/rattle was the rod contacting.
Old 08-02-2018, 05:23 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Not a spark cut, just a big drop in spark advance so you can "feel" it drop off in power and know it's time to back out of it or shift. A "soft" rev limter if you will. I picked up the idea from others here, ChopperDoc, ddnspider, truckdoug etc.
Old 08-25-2018, 01:16 PM
TECH Enthusiast

This is the last revision that I'll do, and should be super close. The rest should be done on a dyno or at the track. I assume youre on 91 octane fuel and close to sea level, at that CR I am comfortable with the timing table I provided and safe to assume you have false knock. Again, verification at the track or dyno would prove in or against my favor. Have fun, hopefully you make a video making some passes or a smoky burnout

and youre welcome its no problem
Finally got the first burnout in the truck. With having only leg power braking the stall is difficult so I matted the throttle in drive. Shifted on it's own at 6000 and smoked the RR tire. Needs a trutrac and gears. That's on the to do list then it's going to the dyno to tweak sobeone's tune... if that's possible

Quick Reply: New LQ9 Build stumble at half throttle