PCM Diagnostics & Tuning HP Tuners | Holley | Diablo

Tuning limitations 24x vs 58x reluctor wheel

Search this Thread

Old 09-05-2018 | 06:16 PM
cam
TECH Junkie

Worth noting regarding the VSS I have a feed piped in from my t56 to the ECM but it does not read correctly because my OS is for a 6L80 auto and I have no TCM or BCM can bus feeds which also feed in wheel speed sensors which I also dont have as additional VSS iirc. Its been a while now so, trying to make sense of it in retrospect
Old 09-05-2018 | 06:37 PM
TECH Senior Member
15 Year Member

Why not use an E67 Vs. the E38???
Old 09-05-2018 | 06:45 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by 1FastBrick
Would it be possible to swap it into a 2000 Corvette in place of the stock ECM and use an engine with a 58x reluctor wheel while retaining all gauges, turn signals, power accessories, ABS and active handling?

I'd be willing to lose the active handling and the ABS if I had no choice.

It would also have to work with the state inspection machine. The only way it will pass inspection is if they can connect to it and it doesn't show any codes.
Old 09-05-2018 | 07:01 PM
TECH Senior Member
15 Year Member

It would never pass any state inspection that plugs into the OBD port If you did an ECU swap. The OBD2 protocol is different. You would have to get it re-certified.

I believe it could be made to work with the gauges in the corvette. I know it's been done on trucks.
We had a guy do an E38 swap as well on the Performancetrucks.net side of the site. he documented part of it.

The E67 has an available OS that will talk on the serial bus to the gauges.

With E38 you have to use CAN protocol. I would have to look back at his thread to see how he made it work.
Old 09-05-2018 | 07:03 PM
cam
TECH Junkie

VVT
I was one of the first ( maybe the first? ) 6.2 VVT swap in front of a t56. I did look at the E67 and some of us who were building these things tried it but to my knowledge no one successfully built a VVT capable E67 controller. I am very pleased with the performance of this 6.2 though, It runs great, strong and carries out a lot of RPM for the relatively small cam in it. Getting it to run without safety mode constantly pulling me back to 4000RPM or outright shutting it down took a few months of tuning/logging/tuning pain every evening after work 3-4 hours. It was a relentless saga, but I endured with help from Chris at HP and Arun who did the final performance tune. I still have no Rev limiter though and theres still no control on fan temperature settings which is so dumb, I can put a mechanical switch to turn fans on lower so how is this not a table we can play with? No OS swaps or segment swaps either, at least none that Im aware of.

Anyways there is NO WAY I am rewiring this car now for another ECM, its going to stay e38 rev limiter or no rev limiter. I was hoping the tuning capabilities were going to expand as time progressed but so far as Im aware much ( all? ) of what I ask to control is still not avail
Old 09-05-2018 | 07:05 PM
Launching!

It would never pass any state inspection that plugs into the OBD port If you did an ECU swap. The OBD2 protocol is different. You would have to get it re-certified.
If I can't get it to work, then unfortunately that's not a solution for me.

I think piggy backing and aftermarket ECM is the only solution. Ugh, that's kind of expensive...

I'm open to suggestions!

Thanks again!
Old 09-06-2018 | 11:24 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by cam
I understand completely. I used to code, learned binary math, super easy really, then i got bored as I prefer to be elbows deep so I moved on. But that was some time ago now, eeks. Anyways the OS locked up is big problem with the E38 as well as the VSS feed, and fan control for starters. Getting the e38 to function freely outside of safety mode absent of a BCM/TCM data bus feed is a hell of a pain to work around when isolating the E38 into a stand alone that is not also coupled with a transmission previously programmed for that specific OS. Those are a few of the issues I clearly recall, but there are more I just need to think on it some. Ahh yes, rev limiter is something I also struggle with because my dang ECM keeps trying to roll into safety mode because the VSS feed is bricked at 158mph. This is even more tricky because its slowly and subtly closes the TB to 50% or making the engine seem slow, and underwhelming. The rev limiter on these is not jittery like the 24x, its butter smooth. The work around we did was entering 8596 or whatever the four digit over ride code was into the commanded value box and that allowed the throttle 100% but now I have no rev limiter. Hmmm theres probably more, but thats a good start
Let me start of by saying I'm not a tuner......in terms of fuel tables, spark etc. I am very good other things that are more swap related then tuning related and this defiantly falls into that category.

To start with post your pcm file, format doesn't matter I can do hp tuner's, efi live, tuner cats, Jet dst etc., if you'd rather not share it publicly then PM me a copy so I can see what your working with.

Right off the bat I'm going to guess that some of the issues are related to running an OS that is meant to have an auto trans but since your using a manual it's creating the issue. Now even if that's the case I'm not going to be the one to say get the right OS that works with a manual trans........but I'm pretty sure the VSS issues isn't something that can be solved in PCM programming under current tuning suit limitations. But that doesn't mean this can't be done........I'm fairly certain I may already have a solution to this but lets get some more details before I go into a possible fix.
Old 09-06-2018 | 11:47 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by cam
VVT
I was one of the first ( maybe the first? ) 6.2 VVT swap in front of a t56. I did look at the E67 and some of us who were building these things tried it but to my knowledge no one successfully built a VVT capable E67 controller. I am very pleased with the performance of this 6.2 though, It runs great, strong and carries out a lot of RPM for the relatively small cam in it. Getting it to run without safety mode constantly pulling me back to 4000RPM or outright shutting it down took a few months of tuning/logging/tuning pain every evening after work 3-4 hours. It was a relentless saga, but I endured with help from Chris at HP and Arun who did the final performance tune. I still have no Rev limiter though and theres still no control on fan temperature settings which is so dumb, I can put a mechanical switch to turn fans on lower so how is this not a table we can play with? No OS swaps or segment swaps either, at least none that Im aware of.

Anyways there is NO WAY I am rewiring this car now for another ECM, its going to stay e38 rev limiter or no rev limiter. I was hoping the tuning capabilities were going to expand as time progressed but so far as Im aware much ( all? ) of what I ask to control is still not avail
There are a couple of points I'd like to touch on here.

Right off things you requested.....assuming throttle related are not something any of the major tuning companies want anyone to have access too. The reason is petty but it's also how they stay in business, the E38 has 8 sectors, your only able to alter/write to 6 of the 8 sectors.

Now here's why.....if we go way way back and look at the PC we can get an example of how this pcm boots, why they brick so easy and also why they are so intolerant of cross flashing OS's.
Once upon a time we had something called DOS, when your computer was turned on it would load into DOS and either give you a command prompt or run a script that would start windows. You could do anything you wanted in Windows and the worst that would happen was Windows would stop loading/booting how ever you want to look at it. The computer would still boot from the bios and load DOS and boot to a command prompt, From that prompt you could then reinstall windows. Now if you damaged the installation of DOS in a lot of cases the computer would no longer boot period. This is why "boot discs" were needed, it would load enough data to allow re-installation of your DOS environment so the computer would once again boot on it's own.

Going back to the E38, sectors 7 and 8 are the equivalent of the DOS environment. Every thing needed to load the pcm's main OS is stored here as well as a number of other things.....one of those being throttle control. So when the pcm powers on sectors 7/8 will load the base data needed for the rest of the vehicle to function and allow the engines OS to load. When you alter data with programs like Hp tuners they are only writing data back into sectors 1-6. Now when you swap the engines OS....once again commercial stuff it only writes sectors 1-6. When pcm's "Brick" after an OS change it's because the primary start up data for the OS the pcm thinks it has are not correct and the data is incompatible with the OS you have just swapped to.....meaning it can't boot the engine OS anymore.

Easy fix would be to just write to sectors 7/8 right? Actually it would be and it is possible, it's actually outlined in official GM doc's on the methods used to write sectors 1-6 and then 7-8. Commercial tools don't want people to gain access to this area for a number of reasons, one of them being there is information in these sectors that are what they use to license the pcm with. I'm not going to fault them for this since that is how they make a living and keep the company running. The negative side to this is there are some important things in those sectors that need to be changed to make things work when these pcm's are used in swaps.

Now for your cooling fan issue, what was your E38 out of? This topic has my interest and it's not an issue I've heard about before or it'd be on my list of things to look into. Any chance you would post your tuning file or PM it to me to take a look at?
Old 09-06-2018 | 11:50 AM
TECH Enthusiast

I believe it could be made to work with the gauges in the corvette. I know it's been done on trucks.
We had a guy do an E38 swap as well on the Performancetrucks.net side of the site. he documented part of it.

The E67 has an available OS that will talk on the serial bus to the gauges.

With E38 you have to use CAN protocol. I would have to look back at his thread to see how he made it work.
Do you know specifically WHAT a state inspection is looking for or what it checks? Readiness monitors? Codes? What else?

Do you have a link to the E67 thread by any chance?
Old 09-07-2018 | 08:29 AM
cam
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by PeteS160
There are a couple of points I'd like to touch on here.

Right off things you requested.....assuming throttle related are not something any of the major tuning companies want anyone to have access too. The reason is petty but it's also how they stay in business, the E38 has 8 sectors, your only able to alter/write to 6 of the 8 sectors.

Now here's why.....if we go way way back and look at the PC we can get an example of how this pcm boots, why they brick so easy and also why they are so intolerant of cross flashing OS's.
Once upon a time we had something called DOS, when your computer was turned on it would load into DOS and either give you a command prompt or run a script that would start windows. You could do anything you wanted in Windows and the worst that would happen was Windows would stop loading/booting how ever you want to look at it. The computer would still boot from the bios and load DOS and boot to a command prompt, From that prompt you could then reinstall windows. Now if you damaged the installation of DOS in a lot of cases the computer would no longer boot period. This is why "boot discs" were needed, it would load enough data to allow re-installation of your DOS environment so the computer would once again boot on it's own.

Going back to the E38, sectors 7 and 8 are the equivalent of the DOS environment. Every thing needed to load the pcm's main OS is stored here as well as a number of other things.....one of those being throttle control. So when the pcm powers on sectors 7/8 will load the base data needed for the rest of the vehicle to function and allow the engines OS to load. When you alter data with programs like Hp tuners they are only writing data back into sectors 1-6. Now when you swap the engines OS....once again commercial stuff it only writes sectors 1-6. When pcm's "Brick" after an OS change it's because the primary start up data for the OS the pcm thinks it has are not correct and the data is incompatible with the OS you have just swapped to.....meaning it can't boot the engine OS anymore.

Easy fix would be to just write to sectors 7/8 right? Actually it would be and it is possible, it's actually outlined in official GM doc's on the methods used to write sectors 1-6 and then 7-8. Commercial tools don't want people to gain access to this area for a number of reasons, one of them being there is information in these sectors that are what they use to license the pcm with. I'm not going to fault them for this since that is how they make a living and keep the company running. The negative side to this is there are some important things in those sectors that need to be changed to make things work when these pcm's are used in swaps.

Now for your cooling fan issue, what was your E38 out of? This topic has my interest and it's not an issue I've heard about before or it'd be on my list of things to look into. Any chance you would post your tuning file or PM it to me to take a look at?
Makes perfect sense to me. I dont have my tuning software handy, its buried but I will dig it out and we will discuss this further. I'm the first guy to support businesses whenever possible and in fairness I was warned not to try this swap before I started but I was also warned not to try and custom wire and swap my first LS1 way back when and in both cases I did it anyways and managed to get everything working well. So just like so many digital solutions once again it boils down to the bios, lol thats rather humorous. DOS wow yay fun, memories of dial up, woohoo

As for the cooling fan temps the argument I was told was it was some untouchable "hard coded" aspects of the tune due to emissions which makes so little sense to me as there are so many easy analogue solutions to fan temp control, not to mention this mechanical part called a thermostat so I never bought into that at all but again I figured this was something over time development would easily sort out. Looks like we are now discussing such

Old 09-10-2018 | 11:22 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by cam
Makes perfect sense to me. I dont have my tuning software handy, its buried but I will dig it out and we will discuss this further. I'm the first guy to support businesses whenever possible and in fairness I was warned not to try this swap before I started but I was also warned not to try and custom wire and swap my first LS1 way back when and in both cases I did it anyways and managed to get everything working well. So just like so many digital solutions once again it boils down to the bios, lol thats rather humorous. DOS wow yay fun, memories of dial up, woohoo

As for the cooling fan temps the argument I was told was it was some untouchable "hard coded" aspects of the tune due to emissions which makes so little sense to me as there are so many easy analogue solutions to fan temp control, not to mention this mechanical part called a thermostat so I never bought into that at all but again I figured this was something over time development would easily sort out. Looks like we are now discussing such
I actually forgot about this thread....things have been busy lately.

I could see it being in sectors 7 or 8 and that's why you can't alter it.....well why they don't want it being altered. What would you want for a more Hi-tech solution? Fan controller that reads temp off the data bus right from the pcm? It's a bit more high tech then an analog controller but I'm not really sure it gains much value unless you can't get accurate engine temperature with an analog probe.
Old 09-11-2018 | 06:06 AM
cam
TECH Junkie

I hear ya re busy. I can live with the fans but getting a functioning rev limiter is a need at this stage. Ive over rev'd it too many times for liking. You can buy temp bung switches that ground at set temps and pipe them directly into the head, eliminating the need for computer control altogether. This is why the excuse for emissions blah blah not being able to command altered fan temp settings in the ECM is ridiculous to me.

Sector 7 and 8. What do we need to do to get in there?
Old 09-11-2018 | 08:42 AM
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by cam
VVT

We did one in 2008..it took a long time to get everything working right, It has fan control and working rev limiter.
Old 09-11-2018 | 08:57 AM
cam
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by LSX Power Tuning
We did one in 2008..it took a long time to get everything working right, It has fan control and working rev limiter.
I know this pain all too well. The problem I was having once I got the engine to operate out of safety mode was the throttle body was slowly closing as I spun it up so it wasn't making any power. I threw in the towel and hired a tuner to sort this out for me so I did not tweak the tune myself to get the throttle opening fully. Now I dont even know what tables to attack. Any pointers?

Last edited by cam; 09-11-2018 at 09:03 AM.
Old 09-11-2018 | 11:44 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by cam
I hear ya re busy. I can live with the fans but getting a functioning rev limiter is a need at this stage. Ive over rev'd it too many times for liking. You can buy temp bung switches that ground at set temps and pipe them directly into the head, eliminating the need for computer control altogether. This is why the excuse for emissions blah blah not being able to command altered fan temp settings in the ECM is ridiculous to me.

Sector 7 and 8. What do we need to do to get in there?
Getting into sectors 7 and 8 isn't all that hard, I'm not going to say how but using an OEM tool you could log what's done and sort out what sectors are what. When tuning tools like Efi Live or Hp tuners read the pcm they actually read these sectors so you already have the data from them you just don't have a way to write the data back to the pcm.

The real issue is what would you do once you could write to those sectors? There is no tuning software for those blocks and as far as I know no one has ever mapped them out. If there was just one OS that was being used it might be worth the time to do it but with so many different OS's it'd take a team of people to even have a chance at sorting out the data and mapping out what each byte does.

The only possible way you'll ever see something like this happen outside of commercial stuff is if someone that knows what they are doing needs access to those things for their own vehicle and was willing to share it. This is unlikely to happen though.

Now if there was ONE Os that was considered "Ideal" and would suite cars and trucks......in stock vehicles or in swaps it might be worth looking into but the odds of that happening are pretty slim. You'd have to have a huge demand for a specific OS to even begin to justify the time it would take to map every thing out.