PCM Diagnostics & Tuning HP Tuners | Holley | Diablo
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

4l80e help (trans or torque converter slip)

Search this Thread

Old 10-02-2018, 03:39 PM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default 4l80e help (trans or torque converter slip)

5.3 small cam
freshly rebuilt 4l80e with circle D 3000 stall
82 s10

Shifts seem slow. I'm not sure that it's actually shifting to 4th, i manually pull back to 3rd and the rpms stay the same.
I'm also trying to understand the relationship between input output shaft speed and RPM, i also noticing TCC slip at times. Also tcc mode: apply en, apply. I was only expecting to see lock and off.

I've air checked 4th gear, looked over the valve body, everything moves, nothing is binding.
IS the trans slipping, converter slipping

Here is a video of the log:

I've also attached the full scan and channel config.

I hope someone can provide some insight as to what is really going on.

thanks
Attached Files
File Type: hpl
Old 10-03-2018, 08:08 AM
10 Second Club

Received 60 Likes on 44 Posts

Is it a manual valve body trans? Or do you have a computer from some year car running the trans? Copy of tune?
Old 10-03-2018, 08:16 AM
12 Second Club

Stock pcm.
it is Not a manual valve body.

Pcm was from a vendor, says 01 Silverado 4l80e

let me know if you need any other info
Attached Files
File Type: hpt
0929 drive.hpt (244.4 KB, 17 views)
Old 10-04-2018, 08:07 AM
07V
Teching In

Do you have any codes for the trans? I JUST got done with my 4l80e swap tuning in my truck. That took me a long time, for sure. I chased my tail for a long time until I figured out that the 4l80es work differently than the 60s. the tcc works with PWM so its possible for it to be locked, but not quite locked I guess?

I'm not on my tuning laptop right now but I'll look when I get home. until then I can say that you shouldn't modify anything in the trans stuff except for shift speed/rpm and tcc lock speed. I also changed the tps% unlock. That's it. Don't mess with pressures or tcc duty cycle min/max. I always did 98/99 on the 60s but the 80s tables have to be all wonky.
Old 10-04-2018, 10:14 AM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by 07V
Do you have any codes for the trans? I JUST got done with my 4l80e swap tuning in my truck. That took me a long time, for sure. I chased my tail for a long time until I figured out that the 4l80es work differently than the 60s. the tcc works with PWM so its possible for it to be locked, but not quite locked I guess?

I'm not on my tuning laptop right now but I'll look when I get home. until then I can say that you shouldn't modify anything in the trans stuff except for shift speed/rpm and tcc lock speed. I also changed the tps% unlock. That's it. Don't mess with pressures or tcc duty cycle min/max. I always did 98/99 on the 60s but the 80s tables have to be all wonky.
no codes.

if you could post your tune so I can look at your trans settings that would be awesome.
ive been looking at different tunes I have found and compared settings trying to figure out if that could be the problem
Old 10-04-2018, 11:09 AM
07V
Teching In

Originally Posted by Checkmate

no codes.

if you could post your tune so I can look at your trans settings that would be awesome.
ive been looking at different tunes I have found and compared settings trying to figure out if that could be the problem

yeah I’m on my way home now. When I get here I’ll upload my tune. I did start from scratch though, as in I started with the 2002 Tahoe flex tune and segment swapped the avalanche 2500 4l80 segment in, THEN did the os upgrade to 2 bar, THEN went in and changed all my shift speeds rpms and tcc unlocks speeds and what not. I think segment swapping an already upgraded OS screwed with mine some. Like, when I did my 60->80 swap I already had 2 bar flex working, so I just segment swapped it. For some reason the segment swap was adjusting my map offset. Wtf? So I started over. Haven’t had any issues after that.

If you do do decide to use mine then make sure you segment swap the trans AND trans diagnostic tables. Also, I’m on a p01. Everything is out of a 2002. 2002 Tahoe flex os, 2002 avalanche 4l80 segment, 2002 gmc computer (but I don’t think that matters.) originally I was trying to use a 2003 4l80 segment and wondered if that messed something up in the segment swap. I think maybe using a p59 4l80 segment in a p01 messes with it, but I don’t have proof. Just my anecdotal experience.
Old 10-04-2018, 12:57 PM
07V
Teching In

here's my tune. I looked at your log and honestly, it looks pretty much normal... next time you get a chance, get up under your car/truck and use the scanner controls to actuate the solenoids. just go into "transmission" and select first gear, second gear, third gear, 4th gear. you'll hear a click for 1,3, and 4. if you don't hear a click for 4 maybe you have a bad solenoid.

also, you don't mention the computer model. p01 or p59 or whatever. if youre using a p01 then feel free to just segment swap my trans segment and trans diag segment and see if it feels better. I'm very satisfied with my tune.
Attached Files
File Type: hpt
lowered shift points mph.hpt (261.6 KB, 29 views)
Old 10-08-2018, 03:44 PM
12 Second Club

Replaced both shift solenoids and what do you know, it shifts beautifully

check it out:

Old 10-08-2018, 04:10 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 526 Likes on 356 Posts

heh. thats amazing. every time i throw solenoids at something it never turns out to be my problem. good to know it actually CAN be the issue.
Old 10-08-2018, 04:36 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by truckdoug
heh. thats amazing. every time i throw solenoids at something it never turns out to be my problem. good to know it actually CAN be the issue.
i didn’t expect a fix either ha
Old 10-09-2018, 07:58 PM
TECH Resident

Received 193 Likes on 134 Posts

It is so rare to have solenoids fix anything.. The computer blames the solenoids when there are mechanical problems. The PCM blames the solenoids when there is water inside the unit. The PCM blames the solenoids anytime it commands a shift, and for ANY reason that shift does not happen. Glad to hear you got it solved.