PCM Diagnostics & Tuning HP Tuners | Holley | Diablo
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

L36 Transplant Fighting Its New Home (Not LS But Could Use Help)

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-2018, 10:23 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default L36 Transplant Fighting Its New Home (Not LS But Could Use Help)

I have transplanted an L36 (GM 3.8L V6) from a 1996 Camaro into a Porsche 944. I bought a wrecked but running donor Camaro and verified that it ran before harvesting the Motor, Trans, Engine harness, BCM, ECU and exhaust/Cat, Steering column/PassII Key, and Instrument Cluster from it. However there was some kind of aftermarket anti-theft module hacked into the interior harness that I did not keep. At the time I figured it was a car alarm thing.

Now that the motor is in the Porsche this is what I have going on: Key on the fuel pump runs for 2 secs which I believe is SOP for this era of ECU. Then in start she fires up, the fuel pump comes back on and the motor runs for a specific amount of time (about 3 seconds) and then stops.

From what I read in the factory service manual, this seems like it must be the fixed amount of time it is in open loop? ECU is only showing fault codes for cooling fan 1 & 2 relay - which is because I do not have their control wires connect to the ECU yet. No other codes. Also the security light on the instrument cluster does not come on nor are there any relay noises out of the BCM like there would be if it was going into anti-theft mode. I should also mention that I have the anti-theft relay bypassed and I have measured the Camaro's PasskeyII resistor value (1.47kOhms) and have the equivalent resistor wired into the BCM. The upstream Oxy sensors are installed but the downstream is not (yet).

Do any of you fine people have any suggestions on what might be causing the ECU to shut off right after start? Or how I might troubleshoot this? Thanks for any help and sorry for posting a not an LS question but I figured there are probably some experts hanging out here.
Old 10-08-2018, 10:57 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3,021 Likes on 2,352 Posts

This is VATS in action. Vehicle Anti Theft System. It can be programmed out.
Old 10-08-2018, 11:29 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by G Atsma
This is VATS in action. Vehicle Anti Theft System. It can be programmed out.
So does this mean that I don't have the passkeyII resistor value correct? Or is there something else that can trigger the fuel disable?
Old 10-08-2018, 11:39 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3,021 Likes on 2,352 Posts

It's not getting the signal required to unlock it. Could be the resistor is wrong, but I don't know.
Old 10-08-2018, 02:44 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 526 Likes on 356 Posts

what software/hardware are you using?
Old 10-08-2018, 02:54 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by truckdoug
what software/hardware are you using?
If you mean tuning - I don't have any. If you mean what version of ECU it's the stock BCM and ECU that came from the factory on a Camaro in 1996. I'm trying to transplant it without having to delete VATS.
Old 10-08-2018, 04:07 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 526 Likes on 356 Posts

ok got ya. sorry i'm no help there. no experience with that pcm or spoofing the key. but it does sound like a vats thing.