PCM Diagnostics & Tuning HP Tuners | Holley | Diablo
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

HP Tuners users heads up

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2019, 02:24 PM
TECH Addict

Received 211 Likes on 165 Posts

He may just say **** it all and go with a holley dominator system. I find that if I want to get anywhere with HP tuners I have to take a $$$$ week long classes. People are trying to tune their cars not open up a performance shop....lol. For the price of HP tuners you would think there would be 4 techs who’s full time jobs are to answer questions related to their software both on their forums and in chat rooms. These company’s have you buy their **** and then rely on other customers to teach you how to use it for the most part. It’s called customer service, you either give it or you don’t. Not everyone wants a **** tune from a dyno shop that has to tune 5 cars that day. Some people want the necessary level of customer service to answer their questions because they are trying to learn it on their own.

Last edited by 5.7stroker; 03-21-2019 at 07:22 PM.
The following users liked this post:
squared (10-04-2019)
Old 03-21-2019, 04:52 PM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Received 244 Likes on 186 Posts

That has nothing to do with customer service. You bought the product knowing they dont offer actual tune Support. And they dont for various reasons. You cant get mad at them for something you knowingly did.
No manufacturer sells a product like that and teaches you how to use it from start to finish on every application.
I think there is something else wrong. Youre going back and forth too much and not having the patience to work it out one way. Thats the main issue. Good luck either way though
Old 03-21-2019, 07:21 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by tech@WS6store
That has nothing to do with customer service. You bought the product knowing they dont offer actual tune Support. And they dont for various reasons. You cant get mad at them for something you knowingly did.
No manufacturer sells a product like that and teaches you how to use it from start to finish on every application.
I think there is something else wrong. Youre going back and forth too much and not having the patience to work it out one way. Thats the main issue. Good luck either way though
They don’t offer tune support because then they wouldn’t be able to make money charging people for tuning classes. Why would anyone go to a tuning class when they can be taught what is needed through good customer service? When you put profit over customer service someone else just comes along and does it better.

Last edited by 5.7stroker; 03-21-2019 at 07:35 PM.
The following users liked this post:
squared (10-04-2019)
Old 03-21-2019, 07:25 PM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Hptuners doesnt put on tuning classes. Nor have they ever afaik.
You have a skewed idea of what they do it seems.
Old 03-21-2019, 07:36 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by tech@WS6store
Hptuners doesnt put on tuning classes. Nor have they ever afaik.
You have a skewed idea of what they do it seems.
They don’t? I thought they did. They aren’t affiliated with The Tuning School? Must have gotten them confused with a 3rd party that offers the classes.
Old 03-21-2019, 07:41 PM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Alot of places do, but hptuners doesnt sponsor them and do no make money on them. MAYBE they get a few extra sales from them, but here is what no one has mentioned

Their new mpvi2 offers remote tuners alot better option now. NOW it only takes the end user 2 credits to remote tune a vehicle. It used to cost the tuner 2 and the customer 2. Now it only costs to flash not edit/save so it's more cost effective now for remote tuners which is great. Its now more affordable to get hptuners in general plus get a remote tune through it so you know the tune you are getting is exactly for YOUR setup (hopefully anyway right)

So thats great news there.
Old 03-22-2019, 09:17 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 527 Likes on 357 Posts

yeah I thought that too. nope HP Academy is not HP Tuners.
Old 03-22-2019, 09:47 AM
TECH Addict

My fault as I received incorrect information some time ago that HP tuners was the one that was giving the classes and did not properly confirm this for myself. Thinking more about this I guess it really wouldn't matter if HP tuners gave technical support directly and here's why:

I can attend as many classes as I want and become as familiar with the software as I possibly can, but at the end of the day when it comes time to tuning my car I wouldn't be able to do a better job than my tuner even on my best day and his worst day. There's just no way to be as good as someone that does it for a living from day 1.
Old 03-22-2019, 10:07 AM
12 Second Club

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by 5.7stroker
My fault as I received incorrect information some time ago that HP tuners was the one that was giving the classes and did not properly confirm this for myself. Thinking more about this I guess it really wouldn't matter if HP tuners gave technical support directly and here's why:

I can attend as many classes as I want and become as familiar with the software as I possibly can, but at the end of the day when it comes time to tuning my car I wouldn't be able to do a better job than my tuner even on my best day and his worst day. There's just no way to be as good as someone that does it for a living from day 1.
Most of us learned to tune without a class, on our cars, and reading the forums. And those classes you mentioned simply teach you the software IMO, based on all the people I have had to re-teach. They dont exactly teach you how to tune
Old 03-23-2019, 05:44 AM
11 Second Club

Received 119 Likes on 99 Posts

Originally Posted by HPTuners
Hello, have you had a chance to get in contact with our support team? If you have can you please provide me with the ticket number so I can look into this further, our support team should be able to help you diagnose the issue.
Your support was great thanks. I've now fixed the issue.
Old 03-25-2019, 07:35 AM
12 Second Club

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Launch
Your support was great thanks. I've now fixed the issue.
Care to share what it was in case someone else has the same issue? Ive always found the support ticket to be helpful as well
Old 03-25-2019, 11:03 AM
cam
TECH Junkie

Received 62 Likes on 53 Posts

I also had great success using support through HP on a very complex problem to boot.

I do wish it was easier to use though I find it very time consuming to do anything other than basic stuff which I have down now. The stickies are helpful but again its a time kill. Some of the youtube vids put up by the more experienced tuners blitzing through tunes in real time are quite helpful. If HP put out a series of such Im sure they would be extremely popular and drive more sales
Old 03-25-2019, 12:58 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 527 Likes on 357 Posts

imo they're gonna have to now that there is a direct price competitor for the swap guys.
Old 03-26-2019, 03:36 AM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by Jenson
Care to share what it was in case someone else has the same issue? Ive always found the support ticket to be helpful as well
Yeah ok. I don't want to be THAT guy that leaves everyone that comes across this thread guessing. I hate that.

I'm a dumb ****, it was the coil packs all along. The wideband leaning out plus the timing of how the issue happened literally when I tuned it for the first time using version 4.2, totally threw me off. And it was acting literally exactly like how the rpm limiter does.

HP tuners support was awesome because they went through all my logs etc and confirmed that the issue isn't on their side. So I went back and swapped a bunch of parts again and this time swapped all 8 coils.... now it rpm's to whatever i want and is quicker than ever. Live and learn.

Last edited by Launch; 03-26-2019 at 03:54 AM.
Old 03-26-2019, 11:22 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3,198 Likes on 2,497 Posts

Bad coils cutting RPM at an exact number..... AND all bad coils? I can see an intermittent miss with coils cutting out at random times, but this is a new one to me, and I would guess others too. Glad it's all sorted out!
Old 03-26-2019, 11:56 AM
10 Second Club

Received 1,748 Likes on 1,305 Posts

Originally Posted by Launch
..... Live and learn.
As much as I dislike HPT, this was you being "that" guy. Created pages spazzing out bashing HPT to find out your issue was not with HPT is not cool. You should edit all of your posts in this thread.
Old 03-26-2019, 12:07 PM
Launching!

Received 60 Likes on 50 Posts

Thanks for updating the thread and letting us know what the problem was.
Old 03-26-2019, 05:41 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by G Atsma
Bad coils cutting RPM at an exact number..... AND all bad coils? I can see an intermittent miss with coils cutting out at random times, but this is a new one to me, and I would guess others too. Glad it's all sorted out!
Yep. That's why it totally stumped me. I never thought the coils could hit a brick wall like that, at the exact same RPM, over and over again! And the car had no misfires anywhere else. It was totally new to me. Now I will know in the future if it happens again and save me a massive amount of time and headf*cks.

All coils bad? Couldn't have been. It ran too properly everywhere except for not wanting to rpm over 6800. I swapped all eight coils and the rpm limit issue went away.

It wasn't a nice journey figuring it out.
Old 03-26-2019, 05:47 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3,198 Likes on 2,497 Posts

I wonder if a connection was bad, that got rectified in the process of switching the coils
Old 03-26-2019, 06:34 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by G Atsma
I wonder if a connection was bad, that got rectified in the process of switching the coils
I very much doubt that. I hadn't touched anything related to the coil packs and they were all plugged in properly. All I did was go remove both packs from one of my other good running ls1 cars, and swapped them over.

I know, I never thought it either. But there you go. The coils can decide to misfire at only a certain rpm. How many or all of the 8 are faulty? Who knows... they'll sit on my shelving for the next 20 years, I don't want to know. To figure it out i would have to swap one over at a time, test the car each time, to figure out which one or all are faulty. Totally not worth the effort.

Originally Posted by ddnspider
As much as I dislike HPT, this was you being "that" guy.
Why do you dislike HPT? Any specific reason? HP Tuners has been good to me, and they just helped me yet again figure out that I had a mechanical/electrical fault somewhere else.

If what just happened to me, happened to you, you would have been just as stumped as I was. My coils decided to die literally the moment I tuned the car after using v4.2 for the very first time. The timing of how it happened, was ridiculous. And I had also fault diagnosed a bunch of other stuff before thinking It was HP tuners and saying anything. I just never thought these coils could work so well , and then just hit a brick wall at one rpm like that, and be so consistent about it. But they can, and they did, it happened. Like I said live and learn.

And you know what, if this happened to me it'll happen to someone else, and now I've helped the next guy save a bunch of hassle and pain. And FYI, the day I swapped the coils, I had the valve covers off, checked pushrods, rockers, springs. I found nothing wrong. At that point it hit me that the coils were literally the last item that I hadn't swapped over and I had a funny feeling that I was about to hit the road and have my car back again. And I did.

There's nothing at all wrong with HP Tuners. GM not giving us a simple way to test bench their coils on the other hand...

Last edited by Launch; 03-26-2019 at 07:11 PM.