Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New ve tuning guide for newbies (video)

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-2019, 04:11 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 177 Likes on 107 Posts

Originally Posted by turbolx
If the car won't idle, just skip the 800rpm VE stuff until after you nail down the 1600, 1200, 1000... You will see the trend in what updates are needed to the VE surface down low, which will bring you closer for your first guess at idle VE. You cannot tune idle RAF until VE (and MAF) are correct.

If you're only having the problem on startup (but it's OK after warmup or after it's been running a bit), you don't have a VE problem, you have a fuel delivery problem. There are separate startup fueling tables specifically for this. (Only adjust these AFTER you know the other stuff is right on).

From the master himself! I feel like I'm not worthy to have such a famous name here dropping knowledge on my thread. Thank you Greg for your master input and what you have done for all of the tuning world. You've taught us all a lot.

And I agree completely. Fueling has the most affect on idle. I think Greg is talking about the EQ ratio table here. I'm working on a way to use the scanner to plot realistic AFR error tables to tune the EQ table. Lately been a little busy with other things, but I think there might be a way to calculate values for this using a WB... Normally the stock values work okay, but I like to think outside the box and find new ways to solve problems with data. Considering the scanner is so powerful, the potential is only limited to how creative and how much time you're willing to spend using math and different ideas. I think I have a way worked out for the PCM to tells what bias value it is using, to correct lean idle creep, but again, been doing other things lately and haven't got back to that.

Being deployed sucks though. Don't have real ways to test this stuff at the moment, but plenty of time to experiment with formulas and math using logs and what you guys have been sending me lol. I am tuning vicariously through you guys lately. Sad face.
Old 05-11-2019, 10:07 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3,221 Likes on 2,513 Posts

Greg is the man, as he's been around awhile. But you're catching up, Doc!