PCM Diagnostics & Tuning HP Tuners | Holley | Diablo
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New ve tuning guide for newbies (video)

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-2019, 04:38 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 177 Likes on 107 Posts
Default New ve tuning guide for newbies (video)

Just finished putting this together today after seeing a number of guides leave stuff out that they shouldn't have, or not cover other things like how to make the tables and actually do adjustments. Hopefully this is helpful for some of you out there struggling to learn the process. This is basically the first thing you tune once you get the car on the street, so I figured it was a good place to start.

Let me know what you all think.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vAQh...ature=youtu.be
Old 03-27-2019, 11:48 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Very nice video. Thanks for taking the time out to help us newbies, I have watched it 3 times. I now have more of a understanding of what i'm doing when ve tuning. got any tips for dialing in boost ve tables?
Old 03-27-2019, 01:25 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by GMTECH4
Very nice video. Thanks for taking the time out to help us newbies, I have watched it 3 times. I now have more of a understanding of what i'm doing when ve tuning. got any tips for dialing in boost ve tables?
It's pretty much the same process, with the exception of your AFR being set to 11.5:1. On your VE table, when the number exceeds 105 kPa, you are under boost. This will trigger the Boost Enrichment, which is right next to your power enrichment EQ ratio table. Taking it slow is the real trick, and pulling spark too. Post your tune and I can take a look at your set up.
Old 03-27-2019, 02:08 PM
TECH Fanatic

Make sure you turn your boost OFF and tune the VE table the standard way, up to 105 kPa or as high as you can get and as accurate as possible... then do this:

Copy the last row before boost (105 kPa row) to the 210 row then multiply by 150%. Then select the area from 105-210 and select "Interpolate Between Vertical Bounds". It will end up looking something like this:

Old 03-27-2019, 02:14 PM
TECH Fanatic

Then the rest is tuning for your targets under boost, which should be in the 11.0 - 11.5 range for the street. It might like a leaner mix on the dyno. Make sure you pull spark way down too. Don't push spark more than 12-15* under boost. Best to tune that on the dyno too. For the street tune, you will definitely be able to dial in the AFR's and get it close same method. Just don't push it hard or get it too hot.
Old 03-27-2019, 03:34 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

I'm using efi-live. right now im on gate 4psi. I haven't had much time lately to work on the car.
Old 03-27-2019, 03:38 PM
TECH Fanatic

Idea is still the same. I'm really glad you're getting the hang of it even through a HPT guide. I'm unfamiliar with EFI Live tables, but I'm sure they are the same fundamentally. Just make sure you add that 150% row like I explained above and interpolate by vertical bounds. Yours will look different, but the concept is the same. If you have questions, I'm happy to help.
Old 03-28-2019, 07:32 PM
Teching In

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

STICKY !!! Excellent video,well done sir.
Old 04-27-2019, 01:44 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Is there not STFT on a 98 pcm? I cant find it anywhere. I swear I had disabled it when I tuned the VE a long time ago. It was a lot older version of hp tuners tho and now i have 4.0.12
Old 04-27-2019, 02:28 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by Drj8787
Is there not STFT on a 98 pcm? I cant find it anywhere. I swear I had disabled it when I tuned the VE a long time ago. It was a lot older version of hp tuners tho and now i have 4.0.12
nevermind I looked back at and old ver2.24 and STFT wasn’t there either. Guess I’m just crazy
Old 04-27-2019, 06:15 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 56 Likes on 46 Posts

There are short term fuel trims on a '98...? I haven't had to tune anything for my car since 2.24 was released. Now I have to relearn the new v4 interface and re-setup all my lambda error stuff to tune the new engine. It's like going from Windows 3.1 to Windows 95 all over again.
Old 04-27-2019, 08:47 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by JimMueller
There are short term fuel trims on a '98...? I haven't had to tune anything for my car since 2.24 was released. Now I have to relearn the new v4 interface and re-setup all my lambda error stuff to tune the new engine. It's like going from Windows 3.1 to Windows 95 all over again.
yes there is STFT but there isn’t any way to disable them in the tune that I saw.
Old 04-28-2019, 12:29 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Drj8787
yes there is STFT but there isn’t any way to disable them in the tune that I saw.
Disabling the MAF and closed loop disables the STFT's. The only way they can come on is if you enable open loop STFT's, which is also disabled by default. STFT's require closed loop to operate under normal circumstances.
Old 04-28-2019, 08:35 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by ChopperDoc
Disabling the MAF and closed loop disables the STFT's. The only way they can come on is if you enable open loop STFT's, which is also disabled by default. STFT's require closed loop to operate under normal circumstances.
Just so I’m following you correctly. There is not something actually labeled STFT in the 98pcm with a drop down box to select enable or disable. Correct? Rather it’s have to be in closed loop with everything functioning as it should be in closed loop automatically enables STFT.

Now as far as open loop is concerned there is no place to enable STFT that I see.
Old 04-28-2019, 09:17 AM
TECH Apprentice

what version of hpt hot are you using? Mine doesn’t look the same is this because it’s a 98 pcm ?

Old 04-28-2019, 02:52 PM
TECH Fanatic

I believe it is still possible by enabling closed loop, but disabling the LTFT's. It's been quite some time since I've dealt with my own 98 PCM. It's something you have to experiment with if that's what your goal is. I switched to the 0411 a long time ago and never looked back. That's about 4 hours that's well worth the time labeling and repinning.

If you plan to run speed density, I don't see the issue. If you plan to run MAF, disable LTFT's, tune it in closed loop and when done turn everything back on.
Old 04-28-2019, 02:55 PM
TECH Fanatic

I pulled the tune and looked though, it is not an option to run open loop STFT's in the 98. I'd imagine you'd have to have the closed loop active with disabled MAF if planning on SD tune. I know it can be done because I had it setup like that for a while, but like I said, my memory is getting foggy on the details.
Old 05-04-2019, 08:53 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 56 Likes on 46 Posts

I'm struggling to get the idle/part throttle VE correct on the new 418, it's been about a decade since I did these things and I'm having to relearn what was once a natural process. I'm using the Greg Banish method to tune the VE, but I still have to blip the throttle a few times to get the car to stay running after startup. When updating the idle RAF, I'm not supposed to touch the throttle at all, correct?

Alas, VCMScanner 4.4 hung during scanning at key on engine off last night, I killed the Windows process, and now it won't detect the pcm protocol, although my Android/Torque/Bluetooth scanner connects without a problem, so I need to get that hardware issue resolved before I can move forward. I re-seated all connections, tried a new USB cable, uninstalled 4.4 and reinstalled 4.0.12, no change. This has seriously put a damper on my plans to make significant tuning progress this weekend
Old 05-04-2019, 09:13 AM
TECH Fanatic

That sucks man. Sorry to hear that. For the RAF, normally I use dynamic air as the value there, so long as the VE is decent. You can throw in a TPS filter in the log to make sure the numbers are good if you have to give it some help occasionally. Once I have good RAF values, I get the counts where I want them by adjusting the blade, then I adjust the IAC values, then the RAF again as needed. Another trick I want to try when I get the chance is drill out my IAC port on the 102, because even full open doesn’t seem to cut it sometimes. It’s massively smaller than the stock one. It will be a while though before I’m back stateside and can actually do it and report back.
Old 05-10-2019, 02:16 PM
Launching!

Received 40 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by JimMueller
I'm struggling to get the idle/part throttle VE correct on the new 418, it's been about a decade since I did these things and I'm having to relearn what was once a natural process. I'm using the Greg Banish method to tune the VE, but I still have to blip the throttle a few times to get the car to stay running after startup. When updating the idle RAF, I'm not supposed to touch the throttle at all, correct?
If the car won't idle, just skip the 800rpm VE stuff until after you nail down the 1600, 1200, 1000... You will see the trend in what updates are needed to the VE surface down low, which will bring you closer for your first guess at idle VE. You cannot tune idle RAF until VE (and MAF) are correct.

If you're only having the problem on startup (but it's OK after warmup or after it's been running a bit), you don't have a VE problem, you have a fuel delivery problem. There are separate startup fueling tables specifically for this. (Only adjust these AFTER you know the other stuff is right on).