Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

HP tuners help LS3 swapped vet

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-2019, 02:39 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default HP tuners help LS3 swapped vet

Hi Every one. I am new to HP tuners and I was looking for some assistance. I just swapped a Stock LS3 with Longtubes and intake into my C5 corvette. I did the 58x to 24x conversion, stock ls3 injectors and swapped over all the sensors from the c5 (map, iat, maf, throttle body, knock sensors, oil psi, etc) onto the LS3 motor. The only sensor ls3 is the cam and crank. How would I go about loading a stock LS3 tune into my ls1 computer based on pretty much the stock sensors. I was thinking injector data, timing data and fuel data but wasnt sure if that's all thats needed. Any help would be amazing! Here is the stock file if that helps
Attached Files
File Type: hpt
ls3inc5.hpt (219.0 KB, 45 views)
Old 05-26-2019, 07:50 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm not super familiar with this type of swap but I can't help but imagine it would have been a lot easier to use an e38 pcm (or something compatible from the factory with an ls3) along with the LS3 sensors. I'm curious why you're trying to use the ls1 pcm? Is this because you're trying to maintain integration with the cluster and rest of the car?

Moving the calibration parameters over probably won't be the sticking point, I imagine the difficult will be in getting the older pcm to read the newer cam and crank signals. Do you know if they read the same type of trace? I have attached a file from my 2008 LS3 C6, I can guarantee you this is the stock file with no changes. That can probably help get you started.

I'm wondering if you can install the LS1 crank and cam sensors. If all the electrical is the same then it should be alot easier to get this working. You will notice though that due to the different vintages of PCM your tables won't just copy and past over. You will have to do some interpolation and smoothing.
Attached Files
Old 05-27-2019, 08:22 PM
TECH Resident

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

You will need a 24x crank sensor, a 1x cam sprocket and a LS2 timing cover & cam sensor. Also you need to relocate the LS1 knock sensors in place of the LS3 knock sensors by drilling & tapping the 6 mm threads to 8 mm. Caspers sells the knock sensor & cam sensor extension harness.

I set up your tune for OEM LS3 injectors. But your tune doesn't appear to be stock.

Russ Kemp
Attached Files
File Type: hpt
ls3inc5-LS3 injectors.hpt (220.5 KB, 50 views)
Old 05-29-2019, 07:23 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts

You’ll need the LIngenfelter 58x to 24x box to use the LS3 with the LS1 ECU. Fuel data and knock data need to change in the tune.