Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

EFI Live tuning - changing tables but not changing AFR

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-2019, 10:05 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Default EFI Live tuning - changing tables but not changing AFR

I just changed my motor and am just trying to lean out the idle.

I went from an LS7 based motor w/ TFS 235 heads, 12:1 compression, 24x/25x 624/624 112 cam, fast 92/92, ligenfelter 100mm MAF, ls1 map. This was my starting point of tune.

New motor was intended to be a budget 6.0: started with a LY6 shortblock (never realized how much would be missing) took out crankshaft to change reluctor wheel to 24 tooth and gaped piston rings to 26/28. Added used stock LS3 heads/Ls3 Intake with a custom twin turbo cam (227/237 mid 6xx lift at 115) I also kept the 100mm MAF. First time assembling motor so I was happy when it started and didn't blow up. Compression should be around 9.5:1. I added FIC 127lb bosch injectors and the LS9 MAP sensor. I still have 1 7/8 inch headers and a 4" mufflex exhaust.

My starting point was the LS7 tune. I have only changed the idle airflow, MAP info, injector info and for my starting VE I changed the first three rows for 400, 800 and 1200 rpm to stock. I know I need to change the timing but haven't messed with it yet. I haven't driven the car. Just let it idle.

I am following the EFI Live Calc.vet tutorial to adjust the MAF and VE table. Based on my understanding this is supposed to compensate for all the GM computer adjustments so nothing needs to be disabled. It provides the values for the VE table and the percentage that needs to be applied to the MAF values.

On the scan software the VE tables aren't that far off. The MAF tables showed that I needed to reduce the values by 15-18% so I multiplied the cells used by 90%. I scanned the car again and the results were pretty much the same as the first scan.

The wideband is showing .83-.85 Lamda.

Any help would be appreciated. I know most use HP tuners.

I will try to upload my last tune and log and values for the injectors.

I found the MAP values were Linear: 312.50 Offset: -11.25.

Thanks,

Bill

Attached Files
File Type: ctz
idle0609196.0ls31.ctz (445.2 KB, 15 views)
File Type: efi
Logidle_00050609192.efi (64.1 KB, 24 views)
Old 06-09-2019, 10:10 AM
TECH Fanatic

I was thinking I should unplug the MAF and see if it can be fixed through just using the VE table.
Old 06-09-2019, 03:53 PM
On The Tree

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

If you open your log and look at PIDs (F8), you'll notice that CALC.WO2BEN and CALC.SELBEN are selected but Red "X"'d out. Those are critical to making the whole thing work easily. You need to log EXT.WO2EQR1 and EXT.WO2AFR1 under "WO2-Serial" drop down.

Then those above calculated BEN formulas will look at commanded AFR vs actual and give you values you can more or less copy paste multiply into your MAF or VE Tables. Right now you''re logging commanded AFR and EQIVRATIO but only actual AFR in Lambda units. You could make a new calculated formula to get that to work, but if you want it to work in the way it's intended log the actual AFR in the formats above.

From the short log posted, everything looks "OK". Biggest thing I check after a big change is that all sensor inputs are working and calibrated right. Looks like MAP is ~101 kPa with key on engine off, so that is good to go based on your profile location (FL).

Once you have the right stuff selected to log, the easiest way to view the data is to make a Map under the F11 tab... there's some good pre made ones for the MAF tables based on serial wideband inputs.

Right now the car is running open loop so you only need to worry about wideband input. But later down the road if you want to enable closed loop trimming, you'll need to get the CALC.SELBEN working, which is one of the nice things about calc.vet, you can keep trimming enabled, drive the car like you normally would and then it automatically uses fuel trims or wideband input based on whether the car is in open or closed loop.

You'll probably get better help on the EFILive forum if you need specific help getting calc.vet working.
Old 06-11-2019, 06:40 AM
TECH Fanatic

Thank you. It's kind of strange, but when I created or view my logs, my PIDs do not have red x's.

Yeah, I think the elevation is about 10 feet above sea level. I just bought new delco o2 sensors. The readings seem to be consistent with the wide band.

I did add back all the trim settings by comparing them to the stock calibration of a similar car.

I hope to drive the car around the area tonight so i'll give it another shot.
Old 06-11-2019, 08:10 PM
On The Tree

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Now that I read your reply... I just remembered that I have changed my calc_pids.txt quite a bit vs what is given for calc.vet on EFI Live forums. So if yours does not have any red X's, it should be setup correctly. You just need to log the data....idle...cruise.... WOT, all conditions and minimize rapid throttle transitions as much as possible.

Then once you set up the Maps for MAF table and VE table... you should just have to multiply the correction factor to the MAF table and copy/paste the VE tables. Of course you'll want to weed out any wacky data and smooth by hand as much as possible.

Might take a couple iterations to get it down. In my experience running open loop / wideband input only is a little quicker to get the tables dialed in, but it is convenient to keep trimming enabled and you'll avoid any sort of extreme rich or lean conditions in cruise that would otherwise make it not pleasant to drive etc

Good luck!