PCM Diagnostics & Tuning HP Tuners | Holley | Diablo
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Do Tuners Generally Change Torque Converter Settings?

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-2019, 09:40 AM
Teching In

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
Default Do Tuners Generally Change Torque Converter Settings?

I had a remote tune done some time ago. After about two months the TC lockup failed. Would YOU reuse that tune? Total coincidence?
Old 06-17-2019, 01:07 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 176 Likes on 107 Posts

Originally Posted by Moto-Mojo
I had a remote tune done some time ago. After about two months the TC lockup failed. Would YOU reuse that tune? Total coincidence?
Yes many tuners adjust shift points and lockup for various reasons. Not sure what your mods are or settings, but it’s generally best to unlock the converter under higher loads, like 50% ish and up on TPS. If desired, you can lock it at high speeds to gain some advantages but this is a touchy number as you don’t want it to happen on heavy acceleration, as that’s when you break stuff. Locking it towards the end of the torque curve can gain some advantage, but most simply leave it unlocked for heavy loads. This isn’t something you should do remotely because as I said, too early in the torque curve will add some serious stress to the converter and trans.
Old 06-17-2019, 07:51 AM
Teching In

Thanks, Chopper. I'm pretty much stock and when I first got the tune I hadn't considered that TC settings were even part of the mix. Makes sense as the transmission was the most obvious change to the way the car reacted. It was spun to me that the tune could have absolutely NOTHING to do with a TC failure. I'm a bit skeptical the more I learn now.
Old 06-17-2019, 09:51 AM
FormerVendor

Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts

Do you have a single or triple disc converter?
Old 06-18-2019, 04:36 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 546 Likes on 426 Posts

Originally Posted by LSX Power Tuning
Do you have a single or triple disc converter?
in the above post he said it was all stock.
Old 06-24-2019, 08:41 PM
Teching In

Yes, all stock. I still feel some weird things with lockup even with the “light” tune. Just seems a dangerous thing if you don’t know exactly what the latest and greatest parameters are. But then again, so many before me had no issues. Dunno.
Old 06-25-2019, 02:47 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 176 Likes on 107 Posts

I didn't really think of this until now, but if you have a misfire being detected, it will unlock the converter too and cause weird issues. Any chance you have a misfire?
Old 06-25-2019, 02:08 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by ChopperDoc
I didn't really think of this until now, but if you have a misfire being detected, it will unlock the converter too and cause weird issues. Any chance you have a misfire?
No, couldn’t run better. And I got rid of that damn AFM. But by far the most noticeable change (other than no AFM) was the tranny. The firm shifts that everyone seems to love, etc. I’ll probably just stick with the ‘tune light’ but if had had more confidence in the aggressive tune, it would be fun to run.

A second TC fail would throw up red flags at the dealer. I’ve thought more than once that maybe the tune exposed a weak link.