Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Turbo 400 behind 5.3

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-2019, 04:16 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Turbo 400 behind 5.3

Anybody know how to hook up a park/drive switch on a 400 trans so 0411 ecu will recognize when truck is in park/drive? How important is this in tuning to prevent stalling on deceleration? Ecu was supposedly tuned to turn off electric transmission but on scanner it’s showing in 2nd gear Done a lot of internet surfing looking for any info and can’t find Crap. It will be a street truck so a lot of stopping starting in traffic. Any info would be appreciated. Got the speedometer figured out with Dakota speed sensor conversion for cable drive speedometer that will let ecu know truck is moving
Old 07-01-2019, 06:11 PM
TECH Addict

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

Vss signal is usually all the is needed. Thts how it can read between your idle and main timing tables.

If u are using a floor shifter u can use micro switches for diff gears. Just tie it into the park/neutral safety switch wiring. Same thing as hooking up reverse lights etc. Usually i just ground out the 1 neutral safety wire to get starter to work on a th350-400 swap. Like said haveing a vss signal is the main part.
Old 07-01-2019, 06:26 PM
Teching In

Default Ls

No floor shifter just column shift. I just bought the Dakota digital gear indicator and will try and program ecu to see this signal. Ls tech says program pin 33 so I’m assuming when I shift into gear it will send a ground to ecu. Nobody should assume a ls swap in 84 trucks are cheap. It’s costing a arm and leg to do it right.
Old 07-01-2019, 07:51 PM
TECH Addict

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

Every ls swap always costs no matter what the platform. Especially if u want it done right. I just done a 70 nova for a customer last week.

Sounds like u about got it figured out!
The following users liked this post:
Ken84lsc10 (07-01-2019)
Old 07-01-2019, 08:03 PM
Teching In

Default Ls swap

watched a lot of YouTube videos from DIY guys and got the impression oh just throw it in there and drive. WRONG unless you just want to look at that LS with wires hanging everywhere and not drive it 🤠
Old 07-01-2019, 08:46 PM
TECH Regular

Received 115 Likes on 76 Posts

Originally Posted by Ken84lsc10
No floor shifter just column shift. I just bought the Dakota digital gear indicator and will try and program ecu to see this signal. Ls tech says program pin 33 so I’m assuming when I shift into gear it will send a ground to ecu. Nobody should assume a ls swap in 84 trucks are cheap. It’s costing a arm and leg to do it right.
I just got done doing a 5.3+th400 swap in to an 84 c10. All im using is the VSS signal from the ford 8.8 abs sensor. It works without it still though. I haven't had any issues with it while it was unhooked either but i guess you can get some stalling issues while slowing up to a red light without it. That happened to me a few times while i was tuning the VE table but when away when i got the AFR right. You can buy a VSS module that attaches to the speedo cable output and use that too. I don't believe there are really any advantages to setting up a signal for park/neutral though, just the simple vss and you can set it to change parameters based on speed instead of gear selection.

You can do this all very cheap too if you want all that hooked up. Go get a couple under the pedal type switches and mount them so the tab on the steering column that holds the linkage touches them when you drop it into drive or so that a switch disengages when it leaves park. Could be done with a lot of different cheap solutions that will all look factory in an '84.
The following users liked this post:
Ken84lsc10 (07-01-2019)
Old 07-02-2019, 12:56 PM
9 Second Club

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Just swap the file over to a manual