Notices
PCM Diagnostics & Tuning HP Tuners | Diablo

Reworking 2010 Express Harness

Old 07-11-2019, 01:03 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Reworking 2010 Express Harness

Hi. I am wondering if anyone can point me to some good resoruces on reworking the harness to use it in my nova. I know I can buy an aftermarket harness, but I have a decent harness now so I figured I could at least try to get it to work and save the $1500.

So specifically I am wondering what the ecu and bcm will complain about if it is not connected. Things like ABS, airbags, seatbelts, are these needed or can I just depin them?

Also I am assuming I can remove the factory AC wires and replace it with vintage air provided it is the right size fuses.

One other thing is the controls on the steering column. I was guessing that I can connect my Nova's controls in place of the Van's for the indicators, wipers, and hazards. Any ideas about the cruise? I am thinking this is just some buttons and I can cut the wires and make one out of toggle switches.

I have the wiring diagram, but what I cannot find is what the computers looks for before throwing a code.
Old 07-11-2019, 03:09 PM
Staging Lane

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Lt1swap.com has all the guides and pictures to do it and the pin outs and lists of what you need to keep and don't need. Just look under the harness info sections. There is hours and hours of reading in there. He covers all the bases.

The turn signals and cab electronics are largely separate from the VCM. You're going to use your nova stuff for all that. The harness you basically trim down to 3 wires, a 12v constant, a ground and a 12v keyed. When you do the swap you have to get the VCM re-flashed to deactivate a whole bunch of stuff which will include the VATs system and any thing else that would prevent the computer from letting the engine run due to a laundry list of things not having a sensor hooked to them anymore.

I believe you want certain A/C wires left in because the computer will change timing advances and stuff to compensate for A/C. But the guides on lt1swap are super thorough about it.

Last edited by LetsTurboSomething; 07-11-2019 at 03:17 PM.
Old 07-12-2019, 07:09 AM
Teching In

Lt1swap.com has all the guides and pictures to do it and the pin outs and lists of what you need to keep and don't need. Just look under the harness info sections. There is hours and hours of reading in there. He covers all the bases.

The turn signals and cab electronics are largely separate from the VCM. You're going to use your nova stuff for all that. The harness you basically trim down to 3 wires, a 12v constant, a ground and a 12v keyed. When you do the swap you have to get the VCM re-flashed to deactivate a whole bunch of stuff which will include the VATs system and any thing else that would prevent the computer from letting the engine run due to a laundry list of things not having a sensor hooked to them anymore.

I believe you want certain A/C wires left in because the computer will change timing advances and stuff to compensate for A/C. But the guides on lt1swap are super thorough about it.

I have heard of LT1swap before but never really paid it much mind because LTs are different than LSs, but holy crap that is a lot of good info. Thanks
This might be dumb, but I took all the wiring out of the nova. My idea was to use the Van's stuff in its place. Is that stupid? Should I put the old nova harness back? It was just crusty and gross looking.
I am assuming the AC from vintange air goes to those stock ac wires. I will look again at the site to see if it is mentioned, but dude is not too far from me. It would be on my way to LS fest in September.

Last edited by Clint Cochrane; 07-12-2019 at 09:05 AM.
Old 07-12-2019, 09:02 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 31 Likes on 30 Posts

Post #3 is all white print on light blue background and can't be seen.
Old 07-12-2019, 09:05 AM
Teching In

that was weird...
Old 07-12-2019, 09:11 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 31 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by Clint Cochrane View Post
that was weird...
Yeah! lol All good now!
Old 07-13-2019, 08:04 PM
Staging Lane

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Clint Cochrane View Post

I have heard of LT1swap before but never really paid it much mind because LTs are different than LSs, but holy crap that is a lot of good info. Thanks
This might be dumb, but I took all the wiring out of the nova. My idea was to use the Van's stuff in its place. Is that stupid? Should I put the old nova harness back? It was just crusty and gross looking.
I am assuming the AC from vintange air goes to those stock ac wires. I will look again at the site to see if it is mentioned, but dude is not too far from me. It would be on my way to LS fest in September.

Ya dont throw the nova stuff away. You have an engine harness and a chassis harness and in some vehicles a dash harness. The nova engine harness is going to be mostly junked for you. You want all the nova chassis harness left in place. All your lights, turn signals, etc...

Now, you could put all that new chassis harness and dash harness in the nova. The hours it would take to shorten and rework, trace all the wires out....nightmare in my opinion. No one really does that on a swap. You just remove 99% of the old engines harness and keep 2 or 3 wires from it. Usually something 12v keyed that ran to the novas coil and the starter wires and alternator wires, engine grounds, etc...That site will tell you how to trim it down to 3 wires to make the LS engine fire up and work. There are more than that you should keep, but the minimum to make it work is actually 3. You'll probably want a speed sensor signal, electric fan control wires and some other stuff as well as the A/C triggers.

But the VCM, at least gen 3 stuff, doesn't care about turn signals or door ajar warnings, etc...it just cares about the engine and the transmission. A lot of the chassis stuff for turn signals and crap like that is actually handled by the factory radio...
Old Yesterday, 07:02 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by LetsTurboSomething View Post
Ya dont throw the nova stuff away. You have an engine harness and a chassis harness and in some vehicles a dash harness. The nova engine harness is going to be mostly junked for you. You want all the nova chassis harness left in place. All your lights, turn signals, etc...

Now, you could put all that new chassis harness and dash harness in the nova. The hours it would take to shorten and rework, trace all the wires out....nightmare in my opinion. No one really does that on a swap. You just remove 99% of the old engines harness and keep 2 or 3 wires from it. Usually something 12v keyed that ran to the novas coil and the starter wires and alternator wires, engine grounds, etc...That site will tell you how to trim it down to 3 wires to make the LS engine fire up and work. There are more than that you should keep, but the minimum to make it work is actually 3. You'll probably want a speed sensor signal, electric fan control wires and some other stuff as well as the A/C triggers.

But the VCM, at least gen 3 stuff, doesn't care about turn signals or door ajar warnings, etc...it just cares about the engine and the transmission. A lot of the chassis stuff for turn signals and crap like that is actually handled by the factory radio...
I was just thinking about using the van stuff since I had it, and the Nova stuff was crusty and gross. Thought I could save the $500 for a new chassis harness and just rework the Vans since it has everything I want.

Search this Thread

About Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.

• Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: