PCM Diagnostics & Tuning HP Tuners | Holley | Diablo

Looking for a tuner to check out my PCM

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-2019 | 04:54 PM
Teching In

Question Looking for a tuner to check out my PCM

I live in Broward County Florida, up on the north end. I have a LS376/525 that I'd like to have looked at. The car has some surge and is not running as smooth as I'd like. It also runs rich to my sense (nose). It will stall after driving short distance right after starting and while slowing for a stop. It will also sometimes stall while I'm slowing down after it's heat soaked. If I "blip" the throttle I can usually keep it from stalling

It has the stock GM tune that came with this 2017 crate engine and 4L65E transmission. It's in a '67 Corvette Restomod that has block hugger headers dumping into a ~ 2 1/2" pipe going into the ('67) factory style side pipes which have dimples in them to add flow restriction. It has the O2 sensors installed right after the headers. This car is really a show type car that I don't think the builder put much effort into tuning because I don't think they figured anyone would drive it too much...lol

I'd like to have someone with a laptop and HP Tuners software come out, connect and see what they see. I watched a number of YouTubes which have dealt with some of my issues and I'd like to have mine looked at. Do any of you guys know of anyone in my area that might come out to my garage? I'm willing to pay a fair price for the diagnostic and then any tuning they can do to correct my issues.

PM me, if you know some one ore are someone who'd like to check it out. I'm a reliable guy who has been on car forums for decades actually, my first LS1 was in my then brand new WS6 Ram Air, my trouble is I don't have the software or knowledge how to tune these engines like some of you guys.

mjdart

I liked this video as this car has many similar issues, I'm not really looking for more horsepower, just more refinement.
Old 07-31-2019 | 09:22 PM
TECH Fanatic
5 Year Member

Whoever you find, don't let them "lock" your changed tune. This will prevent future HP Tuner folks from correcting your tune and you as the owner of the vehicle lose an enormous amount of flexibility with a locked tune.

Also, have them give you a file copy of your original tune before it is changed and give you a file copy after it is changed. Consider this as an insurance policy in case your PCM dies. You will be able to provide some future HP Tuners guy with the most correct file copy tune to squirt into the replacement PCM if this ever occurs.

Rick
The following users liked this post:
mjdart (08-01-2019)
Old 07-31-2019 | 09:33 PM
TECH Senior Member
5 Year Member

Originally Posted by B52bombardier1
Whoever you find, don't let them "lock" your changed tune. This will prevent future HP Tuner folks from correcting your tune and you as the owner of the vehicle lose an enormous amount of flexibility with a locked tune.

Also, have them give you a file copy of your original tune before it is changed and give you a file copy after it is changed. Consider this as an insurance policy in case your PCM dies. You will be able to provide some future HP Tuners guy with the most correct file copy tune to squirt into the replacement PCM if this ever occurs.

Rick
^^^^^^^^^THIS!!!! You will then have a solid foundation on which to make further improvements/adjustments to YOUR tune.
Old 08-01-2019 | 08:01 AM
Teching In

Thanks, I had heard one of the local shops I found locks your tune so that only they can make changes, you reply validates this issue.
Old 08-01-2019 | 08:19 AM
TECH Addict

they usually will not tuner lock the ecu if u don't want them to. If they still want to lock it, find another tuner.

It isn't like most tuners don't already know the in's and out's of tuning anyways. I think its stupid to lock the ecu!
Old 08-01-2019 | 09:32 AM
10 Second Club
20 Year Member

A shame you're not closer to me, I could take a look at some point.
TPIZ92 (08-02-2019)
Old 08-01-2019 | 03:18 PM
8 Second Club

Agree, locked ECM's are such a pain. Sounds like easy fixes for someone who knows what they are doing. If you had a cable and you could email the file could certainly get it done but it would probably be cheaper for you to just visit someone local at that point.
Old 08-01-2019 | 04:03 PM
10 Second Club
20 Year Member

Originally Posted by SLOW SEDAN
Agree, locked ECM's are such a pain. Sounds like easy fixes for someone who knows what they are doing. If you had a cable and you could email the file could certainly get it done but it would probably be cheaper for you to just visit someone local at that point.
I got in a big argument on another board because everyone said that locked tunes is a normal part of business and people don't want to give away their secrets. They said it protects the company from the owner making changes hurting the car and then going back to the tuner. I told them they don't understand how tuning works....
mjdart (08-01-2019)