PCM Diagnostics & Tuning HP Tuners | Holley | Diablo

New build - mail order tune by Frost for break-in?

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-2019 | 11:19 AM
TECH Addict

Default New build - mail order tune by Frost for break-in?

New build. 416 LS3, new trans, midwest chassis rear. All 3 components have break-in procedures that don't allow a dyno tune for the first 500.

My issues is that from my location in central IL, there are no tuners within 3 hours of me that I'm aware of.

I will trailer the car to get the final tune done on the dyno, but for the break in, do you guys think that a tune (mail order) by Frost would be safe enough just to get through those 500 miles?

My biggest fear obviously would be AFR and the potential for being too rich, washing walls and not allowing rings to seat.

I suppose I could get a wideband to keep an eye on AFR too.

Just wanted some thoughts.
Old 08-29-2019 | 06:15 PM
TECH Addict
10 Year Member

Where are you in central IL? You can look up Shane Hinds. He is a St.Louis tuner, and I know he travels some. Last I heard, he was tuning for CBI streetcars (also in st.louis).
Old 09-08-2019 | 01:48 AM
TECH Veteran
20 Year Member

Originally Posted by 98RedBird
New build. 416 LS3, new trans, midwest chassis rear. All 3 components have break-in procedures that don't allow a dyno tune for the first 500.

My issues is that from my location in central IL, there are no tuners within 3 hours of me that I'm aware of.

I will trailer the car to get the final tune done on the dyno, but for the break in, do you guys think that a tune (mail order) by Frost would be safe enough just to get through those 500 miles?

My biggest fear obviously would be AFR and the potential for being too rich, washing walls and not allowing rings to seat.

I suppose I could get a wideband to keep an eye on AFR too.

Just wanted some thoughts.
I am of the opinion that washing the walls and not allowing the rings to seat would be conflicting theories, and both almost entirely irrelevant. I have borescoped a 280k mile boosted 4.8L truck motor used for heavy towing that still had crosshatch patterning obvious on the bores. If the rings have not seated by then, they never will. If you ever REALLY wash out the bore walls, you are worried about scuffing, which will seat the rings quicker. The amount of wear this could cause before your tune, however, is probably negligible.

Quick Reply: New build - mail order tune by Frost for break-in?