Sponsored by:

Hol;den Monaro LS1 PCM advice needed

Search this Thread

Old 12-19-2019, 09:28 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hol;den Monaro LS1 PCM advice needed

Hi,

I've taken on a '77 Firebird that has had an LS1 fitted from a Holden Monaro, it's not run since the swap but was running good in the Holden.

The previous owner had someone fit and alter the engine loom, deleting some Trans wiring as it now has a 6 speed manual.

I've powered up the PCM and the pump relay isn't coming on. I've checked the IGN, GRND and BAT wires are all connected and getting power. All the plugs in the engine are in place except the Throttle Actuator plug which is hanging down at the back of the engine. Also the coolant level plug is disconnected.

If I ground the pump relay and get some pressure up to the rail it will fire for about 1 second and cut out, even though the pump is on continuously.

Is there something I'm missing? Help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Zane (in the UK)

Last edited by Zannetec; 12-19-2019 at 09:45 AM.
Old 12-21-2019, 03:27 PM
9 Second Club

Received 180 Likes on 155 Posts

Well you already know there are wiring issues, devices not plugged in....etc

So sort those first ?

But buying an unknown project, half finished....and perhaps wired wrong. Hope you got it cheap !

But as a basic first step....if the fuel pump does not prime on key on, you need to establish why. Whether it's wiring, a relay, ecu, other etc etc. Any fault codes present ? There's bound to be with items not plugged in. You need to start with a happy ecu with no faults as well.

If you cant trace the loom etc....might be worth considering a new loom, to remove any doubt about what might have been butchered with the current loom.
Old 12-21-2019, 03:29 PM
9 Second Club

There are a couple of UK groups too, where maybe someone local might be able to assist.

Or if you could take the car to Craig at Dynotorque, he's probably done more conversions than anyone.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/1375...?ref=bookmarks

https://www.facebook.com/groups/1949419061945683/
The following users liked this post:
Zannetec (12-27-2019)
Old 12-23-2019, 05:25 PM
On The Tree

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If you ground the relay and the pump runs AND the engine runs for 1 or 2 seconds only then it is likely that the VATs will still be active and looking for the coded key - you need someone with either EFI Live or HP Tuners to deactivate it and reflash the ECU

Regards

Jim (also in the UK)
Zannetec (12-27-2019)
Old 12-27-2019, 02:20 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by stevieturbo
There are a couple of UK groups too, where maybe someone local might be able to assist.

Or if you could take the car to Craig at Dynotorque, he's probably done more conversions than anyone.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/1375...?ref=bookmarks

https://www.facebook.com/groups/1949419061945683/
Thanks for the links, Looks like I need to disable the VATS. I'll get in touch with these people after the holiday period.
Old 12-27-2019, 02:22 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Happy Jim
If you ground the relay and the pump runs AND the engine runs for 1 or 2 seconds only then it is likely that the VATs will still be active and looking for the coded key - you need someone with either EFI Live or HP Tuners to deactivate it and reflash the ECU

Regards

Jim (also in the UK)
Thanks Jim, I'm pretty sure that's the problem I have. I'll start trying to find someone who can disable VATS once the New Year is here.
Old 12-27-2019, 05:53 AM
9 Second Club

With NSFW's work on the Opensource, it may soon be something doable DIY for little money. Not sure if the LSDroid stuff can do it or not.

EFILive or HPT should be able to. But you'll get guys on those FB contacts who can sort somewhere
Zannetec (12-28-2019)