PCM Diagnostics & Tuning HP Tuners | Holley | Diablo
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Maxing out 85mm truck MAF on a "cam only" 5.7 - WTH?

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-2020, 07:46 AM

Received 1,838 Likes on 1,146 Posts

Nice update Launch.

What's your ambient KPA - Key on engine off? 96 seems low for full throttle. Like the motor is running out of air. May have another intake restriction or the filter might be too small. IDK. But if 96 kpa is your ambient, disregard.
Old 01-14-2020, 08:46 AM
11 Second Club

Received 119 Likes on 99 Posts

I will have to look at it tomorrow to confirm but I'm sure it was 100kpa engine off. I'm seeing 98kpa at a bit lower rpm's full throttle. I usually shift around 7400rpm but I wanted to make 100% sure it was the maf not letting it rpm so I spun it high
The small air filter you can see in the previous pic I posted isn't the only filter, the intake continues down under and past the radiator support and faces forward in front of the radiator and it has another big filter over twice the size of the visible one. So I can't see the intake being much of a restriction, other than the stock ls6 intake and TB themselves being the restriction.. I'm not sure how those affect the MAP kpa ? I know I should be seeing 100. I will remove both the air filters when I can and see what happens.
Old 01-14-2020, 09:36 AM

Received 1,838 Likes on 1,146 Posts

Originally Posted by Launch
I will have to look at it tomorrow to confirm but I'm sure it was 100kpa engine off. I'm seeing 98kpa at a bit lower rpm's full throttle. I usually shift around 7400rpm but I wanted to make 100% sure it was the maf not letting it rpm so I spun it high
The small air filter you can see in the previous pic I posted isn't the only filter, the intake continues down under and past the radiator support and faces forward in front of the radiator and it has another big filter over twice the size of the visible one. So I can't see the intake being much of a restriction, other than the stock ls6 intake and TB themselves being the restriction.. I'm not sure how those affect the MAP kpa ? I know I should be seeing 100. I will remove both the air filters when I can and see what happens.
If you pull the filters and still see it, then it's likely the throttle body size. I've sees it happen from a too small plenum also, so both would make sense. And you were also well past power peak at that reading, which also makes sense. It's no emergency, but might be an opportunity to eek out a few more powers.
Old 01-15-2020, 09:45 AM
11 Second Club

I kept fine tuning it today and i'm liking the SD tune even more. I was at first concerned about the afr's not holding steady through a run, thinking that the main VE table just can't be made to be accurate enough with only 400rpm increments without the MAF taking over. But the more I kept refining the VE table the better it got to the point AFR's are now only fluctuating around .3 of an afr at WOT through an entire run, between 12.5:1 and 12.8:1. Can a maf achieve even steadier afr's than that? Like a dead constant number.(That's what you want to see). I'm not sure as I never logged and inspected any of my runs so fanatically previously with the maf tune, as a quick look at the wideband on the dash was always good enough.

The car also now idles almost like it has a stock cam in it, if it wasn't loud. To the point it makes you want to put a bigger cam in it. Given the outside air wasn't that good (it's summer here) it felt so strong today after flashing in the last and best tune and logging some runs in it that i'm almost tempted to see what this car can do as a cam only 346 with further refining and some more weight reduction, and not swap in my LS2 just yet. I know it's all been done before by others(the cam only record list). But it would be funny to me personally to reel off some mid 10 second 1/4's with a $1000 short motor that I don't care about in the slightest if it explodes. I have more perfectly good 5.7's sitting on the ground collecting dust. I know it'll take some more refining.

I might put my 102tb on it with an adapter next, and hog out the opening on the ls6 intake as far as it will go. Get that working properly. Then fab a new 3.5" Y-pipe with straighter bends than the off-shelf 3" y-pipe which every time i've looked at it from under the hoist it looks like a 12 year old made it and said "good enough".

I almost forgot, do I win the "maxed out an 85mm MAF on a cam-only 346" record
Old 01-15-2020, 09:50 AM
10 Second Club

Received 1,743 Likes on 1,301 Posts

Yes a MAF can have a tigher AFR, but it sounds like you're getting the results you want so might as well leave it SD. Did you ever do the 4" pipe test to get the MAF away from the TB?
Old 01-15-2020, 10:34 AM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by ddnspider
Yes a MAF can have a tigher AFR, but it sounds like you're getting the results you want so might as well leave it SD. Did you ever do the 4" pipe test to get the MAF away from the TB?
I didn't first try move the MAF because honestly I looked at it and could barely fit a pipe in there to do it properly. It would have taken me a lot of messing around to get it right. So I decided to go straight to SD just to see if it was the MAF causing the issue and then decide what to do next. Today is the first time I'm liking the SD and out of curiosity I wanted to see if it can work as good as some people say it can. I still think that a MAF tune can be slightly better at WOT even though I haven't proven that, and maybe the car can be slightly quicker with a maf if afr's can be rock steady, but if I can keep seeing afr's hold steady enough with the SD I think I will leave it. It definitely idles better also, but again I hadn't tried perfect the idle with the maf tune.

If it was as easy as HP tuners had a 15k hz patch for my 02 pcm like they do for the later pcm's, (which they don't), I would have gone back to the maf and see for myself how the afr's through a wot run compare to the SD tune, and then choose the better one. I might get back to putting an ls7 maf card on it if I see something in the SD tune I don't like, but right now it seems good enough with the SD that i'll leave it and progress with other things on the car.
Old 01-15-2020, 11:00 AM
10 Second Club

Received 1,743 Likes on 1,301 Posts

Quick Reply: Maxing out 85mm truck MAF on a "cam only" 5.7 - WTH?