Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Factory fans wired to Holley Dominator

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2020, 04:21 PM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Factory fans wired to Holley Dominator

I have searched around and read the Holley forums with Danny discussing how to wire in aftermarket fans to the Dominator. I am trying, if possible, to wire in my factory fans (02 TA) to my Dominator.

I currently have fan 1 (dark green) wired to the Holley B11 + output and fan 2 (dark blue) wired to the Holley B12 + output. I have fan 1 turning on at 210 and fan 2 turning on at 220.

My problem is as soon as I power up the Dominator the fans come on.

Do I have to change the output to a negative trigger (pins b10 and b3)?

I have provided pictures to better describe my setup below.

Old 02-08-2020, 08:44 PM
TECH Regular

Received 61 Likes on 53 Posts

I have mine configured as negative and works great. I used green and blue wires same as you and kept factory relays..
Old 02-08-2020, 08:59 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by JimTA
I have mine configured as negative and works great. I used green and blue wires same as you and kept factory relays..
I switched the dark green (DG) and dark blue (DB) wires to the negative output wires on the dominator (b3/b10), set the trigger temp to 45° (car is at 48), and nothing happens.

Looked over the factory wiring and it looks like the DG wire goes into spot 86 on relay 1 and DB goes into spot 85 on relays 2 and 3. 86 is a + trigger and 85 is ground.

I switched the DG to a + output wire (b12) and kept the DB on a ground output (b10). Both fans stay on even if I set the trigger temp to 200. I then turned the dominator off and the fans went into low speed mode.

I removed the DG/DB wires from the dominator, hooked up a multimeter to b12 (+ output from dominator), turned the trigger temp to 200 (car is at 48) and the dominator is sending out 12v. This shouldn't be doing this. So I need to find out why.
Old 02-09-2020, 01:42 PM
TECH Regular

so take a jumper wire, turn on the key and ground the green then blue.. Fans should work. That will confirm the Fan circuit is still good.. then it has to be the signal you are getting from the dominator.
I connected fans at the C100 connector which is on top of passenger fender well..

Old 02-09-2020, 03:19 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by JimTA
so take a jumper wire, turn on the key and ground the green then blue.. Fans should work. That will confirm the Fan circuit is still good.. then it has to be the signal you are getting from the dominator.
I connected fans at the C100 connector which is on top of passenger fender well..
fan side of the house is working properly.

I need to talk with Holley to see why the dominator is putting a constant +12v out through b11 and b12 even though the temp to turn on the fans is set to 200 and engine temp is a cold 48.
Old 02-09-2020, 07:34 PM
9 Second Club

Received 238 Likes on 177 Posts

I run factory fans on holley pretty often, usually just use the ground triggers of the facory relays like the factory ecu did and connect that to holley. I set the fans up as an output then I can control them more vs just the on/off like the holley default is.
Old 02-10-2020, 12:02 AM
TECH Resident

Received 122 Likes on 95 Posts

Originally Posted by that_ef
I have searched around and read the Holley forums with Danny discussing how to wire in aftermarket fans to the Dominator. I am trying, if possible, to wire in my factory fans (02 TA) to my Dominator.

I currently have fan 1 (dark green) wired to the Holley B11 + output and fan 2 (dark blue) wired to the Holley B12 + output. I have fan 1 turning on at 210 and fan 2 turning on at 220.

My problem is as soon as I power up the Dominator the fans come on.

Do I have to change the output to a negative trigger (pins b10 and b3)?

I have provided pictures to better describe my setup below.

You've got those set wrong in the software you should have them set as a ground trigger. They way you've got it now is power goes to the fans once the ECU powers up. Move them to pins b10 and b3
Old 02-10-2020, 12:10 PM
TECH Regular

In the drop down for I/O make sure you pick ground

Quick Reply: Factory fans wired to Holley Dominator