Holley tech support and MY experiances

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-2020, 05:24 PM
TECH Addict

Received 751 Likes on 407 Posts

Old 05-03-2020, 05:28 PM
TECH Addict

The ecu is not recognizing the change(sweep) in voltage from the pedal. Its only looking for greater than or equal to a 1 volt change for tps autoset to occur. So yea, again, just cuz i didnt pay a shop to plug this harness in for me or sell me the ecu, doesnt change the lack of support teams knowledge of thier own products. Thats why they have prompts and extension numbers, to get you to the right people so to speak. I wouldnt call the mortgage department of my bank to deal with credit card fraud! Just saying.

Last edited by rkupon1; 05-03-2020 at 05:38 PM.
Old 05-09-2020, 07:50 AM
TECH Addict

Received 563 Likes on 417 Posts

Originally Posted by dixiebandit69
Hell, I think that many times, going with aftermarket engine parts causes a lot of problems.

You rarely hear guys complaining on here about factory parts not fitting right, or failing quickly after installation.
more often than not its operator/installer error that is the problem.
The following users liked this post:
G Atsma (05-09-2020)
Old 05-09-2020, 08:21 AM
Teching In

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by gjestico
Sooo if not Holley, Then what other mfgr's unit would you use ?. Serious question.
Haltech. I have managed to fry one of their ECUs, overheat the CPU doing dumb stuff, and each time I would get a simple email or call back telling me what was wrong.

People paying thousands of dollars for aftermarket ECUs should get high quality support.
rkupon1 (05-09-2020)
Old 05-09-2020, 09:10 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by TrendSetter
more often than not its operator/installer error that is the problem.
I 100% agree with this. And was fully prepared to have that eureka moment. Again, just for a simple tps auto set using thier plug n play harness. To bad it didnt happen. Ecu is corrupt. Praying its just firmware and not something terminal. I would have luvd to have diagnosed it, fixed it, and fired my car. Unfortunately, that did not happen yet. Im hopn the product is better quality than the initial support I recieved. I know I technically bought it 2nd hand, but it did arrive in a sealed box brand new, exactly like my buddies who got his from an authorized dealer. We actually compared pics for fun to see if maybe I was sold a junk one on purpose by a member here...highly doubtful. Its also just a head n cam build with mostly plug n play harnesses. Short of a bad ground possibly, I cant see many places we could have made a mistake so to speak. Defly not one that kills the ecu. All to be determined. I will post up all results, findings, and theories. Even if it implicates me as the problem. World knows I ve burned more money faster before. If its beat, im honestly considering going to a factory ecu kit n gutting the holley wiring out of the car. Id still come out ahead financially vs. a new Holley Dominator. Plus, it d remove the fear I have that what if what killed the ecu is still a problem n burns up the next new one? I cant fathom how thats possible at this point, but its a real fear right now. Are these ecu s that sensitive and unsafe/unprotected? I dunno, factory set up sounds pretty good at this point if I can figure a way to control dual dbw tb s. Im really not into the ghetto mechanical linkage set up.
Old 05-09-2020, 09:16 AM
TECH Addict

Im looking into this set up. Its almost $700 cheaper, not counting what I may recoupe from selling off the Holley harnesses and parts. Just gotta figure out a way to reliably control my dual dbw throttle body set up. Of course than another issue is running a maf set up with dual tb s also. As of now, we are using speed density.

https://www.psiconversion.com/produc.../KIT-1036.html
Old 05-09-2020, 12:06 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3,153 Likes on 2,460 Posts

Originally Posted by rkupon1
Im looking into this set up. Its almost $700 cheaper, not counting what I may recoupe from selling off the Holley harnesses and parts. Just gotta figure out a way to reliably control my dual dbw throttle body set up. Of course than another issue is running a maf set up with dual tb s also. As of now, we are using speed density.

https://www.psiconversion.com/produc.../KIT-1036.html
That is basically a stock setup adapted to swapping. I'm not sure it will handle twin TB's.
Old 05-09-2020, 01:29 PM
TECH Addict

No, it defly wont. Id be making some phone calls prior and see how to go about it of course. Same with maf. My intake tubes/banks are also seperated. Gives me something to read up on and research for now.
Old 05-10-2020, 02:15 PM
TECH Regular

Received 115 Likes on 76 Posts

Everyone needs to know to find the Ron of the service department because there is one of those guys everywhere almost. "Your advice didn't seem to solve my problem, is there anyway you can go find the guy you ask for help when you don't know how it works?"
I've had the same issues dealing with the manufactures. As far as bigger outfits go, Summit Racing actually seems to have legit people on hand in tech to help out. If I end up talking to someone there that can't really help, I end up getting an email or call back from someone in the back who sat down and worked on the issue before getting back to me. I have nothing local that carries any hotrod stuff or can even help with any of this crap. I'm stuck mail ordering everything. Summit get my return business a lot simply because of how easy they are to deal with for returns and tech help.
The following 2 users liked this post by LetsTurboSomething:
G Atsma (05-10-2020), Pacer Racer (05-14-2020)
Old 05-10-2020, 03:36 PM
TECH Addict

Yea, thats awesome. At this point, im chalking it up to a learning experiance. Just waiting to hear back what is up with the ecu. Not much else I can do really. My buddy renegged on lending me his ecu, so i ll chill and wait.
Old 05-13-2020, 08:49 AM
TECH Addict

UPDATE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Ron T, from Holley just called...drum roll....ecu is toast. N because its nothing we did(i guess they can tell if you fried it), he s pushing a new one under warranty for me. I ll have it in 2days!
Despite the rough couple of days going thru circles with the first few tech support guys, Ron T, is the guy to talk to. Him and Holley totally stepped up and took care of thier faulty product, with a very respectable turn around time from them recieving the ecu. Even during Covid 19. Despite buying the ecu bnib 2+ yrs ago and 2nd hand, they still replacing it. That is unheard of in my industry with service parts. Even my engine builder says that rarely happens in the aftermarket automotive sector.
The following 2 users liked this post by rkupon1:
G Atsma (05-13-2020), mrvedit (05-17-2020)
Old 05-13-2020, 08:50 AM
TECH Addict

I fully expected and was prepared to pay for a new ECU!!!
G Atsma (05-13-2020)
Old 05-13-2020, 08:55 AM
10 Second Club

Received 1,746 Likes on 1,304 Posts

WOW, thats pretty excellent of them to take care of you like that. Congrats!
rkupon1 (05-13-2020)
Old 05-13-2020, 10:52 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3,153 Likes on 2,460 Posts

Kinda restores one's faith in humanity!
rkupon1 (05-13-2020)
Old 05-14-2020, 11:43 AM
TECH Resident

Received 27 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by rkupon1
I fully expected and was prepared to pay for a new ECU!!!
Now....take back all that mean nasty **** you said about Holley.....LOL.. Seriously...good on them..

T,
Old 05-14-2020, 12:20 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by TomM
Now....take back all that mean nasty **** you said about Holley.....LOL.. Seriously...good on them..

T,
No, my thread and experiances are still very relevant. We dont just post up all the good stuff, than people mite go on thinkn we live in a perfect world. I was truthful and honest this whole way. I was upset at times when it was warranted, imho. I was happy when any/all expectations were met/exceeded.
The initial tech support still sucked, I only got ahold of Ron T. by chance when I took it upon myself to diagnose the ecu as corrupt and reach out for a return authorization number. Otherwise, its very possible other technicians would have had me buying new throttle bodies, pedal, harness, etc...
G Atsma (05-14-2020)
Old 05-14-2020, 02:48 PM
TECH Resident

I totally get it, that was my attempt at sarcasm.....

I've had the same experiences, some good, others not so good. In fact bad enough that some vendors will never get another nickel of my money......

T,
Old 05-14-2020, 04:10 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by TomM
I totally get it, that was my attempt at sarcasm.....

I've had the same experiences, some good, others not so good. In fact bad enough that some vendors will never get another nickel of my money......

T,
Damn, my bad Tom...lol. Totally went over my head on that one...Hows the nova doin? I feel SNS has been real slow ever since the format change.

p.s. I hear ya bout the good and bad. I feel alot of people think im overreacting or attacking Holley. Im simply stating my experiances with thier tech supports' knowledge. I promised transparency. I fully expected to own any mistakes and or lack of knowledge on my own end. Including buying a new ecu if I had to. I didnt think anything I posted was outta line. I just dont have access to alot of resources most of the people in this hobby do. Fact is, as of now, they totally went above and beyond for me with product support.

Last edited by rkupon1; 05-14-2020 at 04:16 PM.
Old 05-14-2020, 04:36 PM
TECH Resident

Sold the Nova a few months ago, building an 84 Square now with an LS2. On the look out for another Nova, gonna build it a little different this time. That new CBR clip is a must....
Yeah, Steve's has really gone downhill IMO......too clunky to navigate and you have to check every forum to see who posts.....Sent a few suggestions, got ignored, moved on. Still check in, just not as interesting as it used to be. Same old questions over and over, yours and Stacy's are about the last good build threads on there....

You weren't out of line at all. Like I said, there are few I could rant about, but they don't change so they don't get my money.....I am using all of Holley's Black heart stuff on my truck, and while it's pretty darn close, I see some production slippages, but no big deal....not sold on the Holley EFI stuff, I have my own thoughts on that, so we'll just leave that there....

In for the startup video

T,

The following 2 users liked this post by TomM:
jayyyw (05-15-2020), truckdoug (05-21-2020)
Old 05-14-2020, 07:13 PM
TECH Addict

Wow, i never thought you would have sold the Nova. Did it still have The LSA? The Square body pick up is off to a great start. Looks good as usual. Very clean. Yea I defly miss some of yours and a few other regulars posting over there. Lots of good info-pure tech. Now its a loose n lazy flea market feel. Mostly bcuz of the new format I think. I still keep my thread going bcuz its still documents everything from start. On here, I started it from the LS N/A build. Im trying my best to turn it over this weekend. Im pretty sure my starter tune will start the car n get us into the self learning to keep it safe, but I have no idea if he did anything in depth with the trans, fans, etc. We shall see. Im excited to learn this end of it. I havent heard from my tuner since 2020 bc lockdown. "Before Covid".
Does the Holley blackheart still use the same EFI software? Like the terminator and Term X, etc.

Last edited by rkupon1; 05-14-2020 at 07:27 PM.

Quick Reply: Holley tech support and MY experiances