PCM Diagnostics & Tuning HP Tuners | Holley | Diablo
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Holley tech support and MY experiances

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-2020, 06:07 AM
TECH Resident

Received 27 Likes on 16 Posts

I took the LSA out and sold it. Way too much motor for that little car, put an LS3 with a hot cam in it.....

The Black heart system is mostly conversion parts, no EFI stuff. They offer engine mounts, exhaust, trans cross members etc., for trucks and other platforms. I'm using an E38 and T42 OE ECM and trans controller with a BP Automotive harness....

T,
Old 05-15-2020, 07:51 PM
TECH Addict

Received 751 Likes on 407 Posts

Originally Posted by TomM
I took the LSA out and sold it. Way too much motor for that little car, put an LS3 with a hot cam in it.....

The Black heart system is mostly conversion parts, no EFI stuff. They offer engine mounts, exhaust, trans cross members etc., for trucks and other platforms. I'm using an E38 and T42 OE ECM and trans controller with a BP Automotive harness....

T,
Blasphemy! Lol.
Do you have a build thread anywhere for the pick up? I know your in texas and will represent.
Old 05-16-2020, 05:03 AM
TECH Resident

Received 27 Likes on 16 Posts

No didn't do a build thread yet. Have some pictures, thought about doing one here when I get the time. Right now just trying to get it done. I'm also on a truck forum 67-72 trucks, might put it there....

T,
Old 05-16-2020, 05:40 AM
TECH Addict

Cool. I ll look for it. This forum will love a build like yours.
Old 05-17-2020, 04:46 PM

Received 426 Likes on 325 Posts

Originally Posted by rkupon1
UPDATE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Ron T, from Holley just called...drum roll....ecu is toast. N because its nothing we did(i guess they can tell if you fried it), he s pushing a new one under warranty for me. I ll have it in 2days!
Despite the rough couple of days going thru circles with the first few tech support guys, Ron T, is the guy to talk to. Him and Holley totally stepped up and took care of thier faulty product, with a very respectable turn around time from them recieving the ecu. Even during Covid 19. Despite buying the ecu bnib 2+ yrs ago and 2nd hand, they still replacing it. That is unheard of in my industry with service parts. Even my engine builder says that rarely happens in the aftermarket automotive sector.
I'm actually not that surprised. The Dominator (and HP?) keep track of how many hours power has been applied. So they can easily see that you just installed it.
I had to call Holley back in January and if I called at the "right time", I could get through in 15 minutes or so.
My problem was that the throttles wouldn't open more than 10%; I don't remember if the TPS Auto-Set failed too. In my case I had the brake switch on the wrong polarity and the ECM thought the brake was on. As a "safety" feature the Dominator limits throttle to 10% when the brake is on. (So no brake torquing and no burnouts!) I was sheepishly told that "some people" remove the brake pedal signal to the ECM to disable this "feature".
Old 05-17-2020, 08:46 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by mrvedit
I'm actually not that surprised. The Dominator (and HP?) keep track of how many hours power has been applied. So they can easily see that you just installed it.
I had to call Holley back in January and if I called at the "right time", I could get through in 15 minutes or so.
My problem was that the throttles wouldn't open more than 10%; I don't remember if the TPS Auto-Set failed too. In my case I had the brake switch on the wrong polarity and the ECM thought the brake was on. As a "safety" feature the Dominator limits throttle to 10% when the brake is on. (So no brake torquing and no burnouts!) I was sheepishly told that "some people" remove the brake pedal signal to the ECM to disable this "feature".
Yup, im very aware of and now familiar with ALL of the above, lol. Said red n white striped wire can be un-pinned im told. Yes the brake pedal in DBW applications will/should override all throttle input. I got pretty used to the wait time for Holley support, barely even bothered me. Id just put it on speaker and start reading something on the internet. One can pass 30min with ease like this. I got disconnected a few times with tech support after making it thru the preliminary questions. That part sucked! Could have been my phone or wifi for all I know tho.
Old 05-21-2020, 11:52 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 526 Likes on 356 Posts

have you messed around on the holley forums much? I found a bunch of helpful info while searching for answers to some of my holley issues.

fwiw as much trouble as I had with my holley (bad wiring harness) i'm so blown away by all the features and the configurability of the tables and I/O's that I have bought a second termi x for my DD. sold off all my HPT and stock PCM tuning equipment.

got a spare termi x max computer on hand in case one takes a crap
Old 05-21-2020, 09:22 PM
TECH Addict

Yes, i try to read what I can there. Im learning as I go. Waitn on my gears n trans pan. But eventually its going to a tuner. I will be hands on at some point. We did get my car up n running, but havnt driven it yet. It doesnt idle to well. Just got done fixing a couple leaks today. Sure wish I knew more so I could mess with it while waitn on dyno tuning. Im scared to hurt my motor, lol
Old 05-21-2020, 11:45 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 475 Likes on 354 Posts

Originally Posted by truckdoug

fwiw as much trouble as I had with my holley (bad wiring harness) i'm so blown away by all the features and the configurability of the tables and I/O's that I have bought a second termi x for my DD. sold off all my HPT and stock PCM tuning equipment.
I went with Holley EFI years ago because after thinking about building my own harness or buying one and buying hp tuners and all the gauges I would need, It made the Holley system a fair deal my eyes. It also helped that Amazon was selling the Dominator ecu for $1,403.00 at the time.
Right now I have 2x Dominators and 2X HP ECU's and harnesses, 2x 7" screens and one 12" and harnesses. Before they were so popular I used to find them really cheap. I've bought and sold quite a few. Now it seems that enough people want them that the deals just aren't there like they were. The last one I picked up in February on E-bay. Complete avenger efi system (uses HP ECU) for $350.
Old 05-22-2020, 05:16 AM
TECH Addict

Yea, i picked mine up for 1500$ bnib when I saw they are almost $2200 on Summit, I was scared. Especially when I found out it was fried. I think couple guys around here still have sources to pick em up for $1800 or so. Now im reading certsin expansions are gunna cost ya more to download and run. Like traction control.
Old 05-22-2020, 06:22 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 475 Likes on 354 Posts

Originally Posted by rkupon1
Yea, i picked mine up for 1500$ bnib when I saw they are almost $2200 on Summit, I was scared. Especially when I found out it was fried. I think couple guys around here still have sources to pick em up for $1800 or so. Now im reading certsin expansions are gunna cost ya more to download and run. Like traction control.
You can still configure traction control it won't work as well but it will work.
Old 05-23-2020, 02:27 PM
9 Second Club

Received 238 Likes on 177 Posts

We run traction control (free version) can do almost anything you want with enough inputs and advance tables.
Old 05-23-2020, 06:07 PM

Received 426 Likes on 325 Posts

Originally Posted by minytrker
We run traction control (free version) can do almost anything you want with enough inputs and advance tables.
Cool. What speed sensors are you using? On wheels and/or driveshafts?
Old 05-23-2020, 08:52 PM
TECH Addict

Interested aswell
Old 05-26-2020, 09:27 AM
9 Second Club

Received 238 Likes on 177 Posts

Originally Posted by mrvedit
Cool. What speed sensors are you using? On wheels and/or driveshafts?
Driveshaft speed, front wheel & G meter or rear wheel, front wheel and G meter. Use factory ABS sensors when we can and driveshaft speed sensor from motion raceworks.
Old 05-26-2020, 03:39 PM
TECH Senior Member

haha 3 for 3 on fucked up mis-pinned transmission harnesses

however it fired right up off the set up wizard and the base tune.

holley: the company I hate to love
Old 05-27-2020, 05:53 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by truckdoug
haha 3 for 3 on fucked up mis-pinned transmission harnesses

however it fired right up off the set up wizard and the base tune.

holley: the company I hate to love
Details? Which pins and what trans harness? Im swapping trans pans soon. I mite aswell check mine myself. I already printed out the diagram just incase
Old 05-28-2020, 12:26 PM
TECH Senior Member

the shift solenoid pins were wrong in my first one. the second one had the internal sensor ground going to a an unused pin. this last one had the power wire swapped with the TFT signal wire.

all of this has been at the transmission end.

p.s its the same harness for 60/80e they just change the tune.

Quick Reply: Holley tech support and MY experiances