Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

throttle hang during cruising

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-2020, 12:58 PM
TECH Regular

Received 115 Likes on 76 Posts
Default throttle hang during cruising

I have this annoying idle hang that I cannot seem to get rid of. It happens when I'm cruising and let off for corners casually and going slow. My idle is set at 800 but likes to hang in the 1500 area. It's real prevalent when coming back or leaving my neighborhood, 20mph zones I just don't touch the throttle and it will idle at 1500 and thats like having cruise control at 20mph. However, when I hit the brakes and the vehicle speed starts dropping the idle will usually try to go back down some but it clearly has a threshold at 2mph. Soon as I go under 2mph and stop the idle drops right to where it should. Above 2mph it will bring the idle down some but not to 800, more like 1000-1500 depending on the speed.

I didnt have this problem before I got the VSS working. I'm using the ABS sensor in a ford 8.8 for the VSS and I had a bad sensor when I started tuning last year. This year I changed the cam, injectors and converter so I had to retune it all and I added the VSS in at that time. It would stall at stop lights and stuff occasionally without the VSS but never had throttle hang. Maybe because the ecu always registered 0mph?

The I sent my ECU off the first time to have a very basic tune installed because I had never used HPtuners before and never tuned an EFI before. So about half of the stuff with zeroed out tables I have no clue what it does and haven't messed with it yet. I did a lot of searching and most of the stuff I found said to check things like idle timing and base timing tables for to much spark in the idle range. I'm at 24* in all the tables for idle on a 231/234 .600/.585 115lsa 5*adv camshaft. Which didnt seem out of the ballpark for it.

Base Idle Airflow is about 14g/s at operating temp. Does the base idle airflow tell the air controller how far to open the stepper motor or it is a relationship to fuel and air like the VE table? I've tried going down 1-2 grams on that table but it didn't seem to help and made it harder to idle while stopped.

Can I use the rolling idle table to fix this? That table has always been zeroed out.

I'm attaching a scan and my current tune. Thanks for looking.
Attached Files
File Type: hpl
collins.hpl (1.59 MB, 17 views)
Old 05-23-2020, 01:17 PM

Received 424 Likes on 323 Posts

Hopefully a more experienced person can guide you to tuning specifics, but look at Idle -> Airflow -> Throttle Follower ->Decay (Gear) values. You might try adding 50% to the values for 3rd and 4th gear to see if that helps.
Yes, the Base Idle Airflow also needs to be correct. 14g/s seems extremely too high; I run 10 g/s with a 7L engine and much bigger cam. A stock 2002 LS1 has values of 6.20. So perhaps try stock values multiplied by 1.25.
I will look at your log and tune later today; hopefully someone can beat me to it.
Old 05-23-2020, 02:28 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by mrvedit
Hopefully a more experienced person can guide you to tuning specifics, but look at Idle -> Airflow -> Throttle Follower ->Decay (Gear) values. You might try adding 50% to the values for 3rd and 4th gear to see if that helps.
Yes, the Base Idle Airflow also needs to be correct. 14g/s seems extremely too high; I run 10 g/s with a 7L engine and much bigger cam. A stock 2002 LS1 has values of 6.20. So perhaps try stock values multiplied by 1.25.
I will look at your log and tune later today; hopefully someone can beat me to it.
Ok, I'll check out the base idle airflow more. But the truck has a th400 in it, the ecu doesn't know which gear it's ever in. I don't have a P/N switch either. So what ever I change on a per gear basis I have to replicated to each gears table. The ECU seems to go between thinking its in 2nd or 3rd most times, I'm not sure what prompts it to guess because there is no transmission plugs from the harness plugged into anything. Although I did leave those all pinned into the harness and connectors in case I decided to put a 4l80e in it later. The tune is just set to "non-electronic auto".
Old 05-24-2020, 12:19 AM
TECH Regular

I dropped the base airflow by 2grams and that helped a lot, but also introduced some surging when coming back down to idle. My IAC counts are 80ish when the idle stabilizes. I got the VE corrected for the airflow change. It died on me twice tonight going from drive to reverse.

Quick Reply: throttle hang during cruising