PCM Diagnostics & Tuning HP Tuners | Holley | Diablo
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Which sensor, when failing, causes backfiring and complete loss of power, then stall.

Search this Thread

Old 07-04-2020, 07:38 PM
Banned

Received 53 Likes on 41 Posts
Default Which sensor, when failing, causes backfiring and complete loss of power, then stall.

1 week ago. Cruising at 45mph.....I gradually accelerate to speed up to 60mph...….

Complete loss of power....big backfire bangs out the exhaust pipes......gas pedal movement has no affect, but its still barely running and backfiring...….

Then it finally stalls......pull over to the side of the road thinking the engine literally came apart...….and it fires right up perfectly and runs normal like nothing ever happened...…

A couple times since then while accelerating gradually from a traffic light.....it backfired a little and stumbled......then picked right up and has been normal since.

No codes accept for a Bank 2 Sensor 1 Slow Response.....which is kind of normal for this PCM. Even after replacing a brand new 02 sensor that code pops up a week later and stays forever.

But can a bad/failing 02 sensor cause backfiring, loss of power, stalling out. Then its perfect for a week.

Thanks.
Old 07-04-2020, 07:44 PM
TECH Addict

Received 478 Likes on 368 Posts

Crank sensor did that on my 2.5 jeep,, intermittent then died.. (jeep uses mostly Delphi sensors so "gm,, ish")
The following users liked this post:
G Atsma (07-04-2020)
Old 07-04-2020, 09:03 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by pdxmotorhead
Crank sensor did that on my 2.5 jeep,, intermittent then died.. (jeep uses mostly Delphi sensors so "gm,, ish")
Ok cool thanks.

Did you have any codes?

I bought my Trans Am new in 1998 and I’ve learned that a lot of these cars have PCMs that sometimes show “failing” sensors and I know a bunch of people like me with 98-02 Fbodys with PCMs that do not show codes for “failing” sensors......they only show a code when the sensor actually fails or is basically failed and causing major problems.

I bought all new engine sensors the other day, all AC Delco. I’ll put them all in, but I’ll start with the Crank Sensor.

Thanks.
Old 07-10-2020, 04:09 AM
Teching In

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I had a coolant temp sensor break when I did long tubes on my B4C and it caused a short, making the car run suuuuuuper rich, loss of power and also randomly die. Might be worth a look.
Old 07-10-2020, 07:23 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by LowBudgetRacer
I had a coolant temp sensor break when I did long tubes on my B4C and it caused a short, making the car run suuuuuuper rich, loss of power and also randomly die. Might be worth a look.
Funny you mention that. My engine literally will not run with a bad or unplugged Coolant Temp Sensor. If started up with a bad or unplugged sensor the car spits raw gas out the tailpipes, sputters, the throttle is out of the loop and has no affect, the rpm needle just jumps from 200-600 and then after about 6-8 seconds turns off. Other people with the identical car, sane year, factory PCM, can drive their car normally like that sensor doesn’t matter.

Thats why I’ve always said all PCMs are not created equal. They are different inside at least how the brain of it works.

i have a new Coolant Temp sensor too....if the Crank sensor doesn’t do the trick I’ll put that one in also. I’m changing sensors one at a time so I can find which I’ve is the culprit because my PCM doesn’t want to tell me.....lol

Thanks.
Old 07-10-2020, 07:29 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by LowBudgetRacer
off subject...

what does B4C stand for......?
Old 07-10-2020, 07:54 AM
TECH Resident

Received 133 Likes on 114 Posts

Originally Posted by stilealive
off subject...

what does B4C stand for......?
Its the police package.
Old 07-10-2020, 09:44 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by Tyler Dietzenbach
Its the police package.
Gotcha. All these years seeing that I never knew.

whats included in the package?
Old 07-10-2020, 09:49 AM
TECH Resident

Default From user JRP..

What's different about a B4C???

Got this question asked on another board and figured that because the question comes up with regularity, I'd post it here, too.......... (moderators...you may want to move this to other forums.......)

The question: How does a B4C differ from a Z28?

Since 1998, the only real parts difference, overall is the rear trailing arms.
The packaging is different. From 1998 thru 2000, the B4C came with a Power Steering Cooler, whereas the Z28 offered the cooler as an option....however, the cooler was made standard on all V8s in 2001/ 2002.....
From 1998 thru 2000, the B4C included Eagle RS-A Tires..which meant the car was not speed limited to 110 (or thereabouts) as a standard Z28 with the standard Eagle GA tires. (Z28s with RS-A tires or GSCs were speed limited to 162mph as I recall.)

From 1998 thru 2002, the B4C had power windows, locks, mirrors, and driver's seat in the package along with, I believe, fog lamps cruise control, and a power hatch release. (this forces a heavier wiring harness in the body of the car.......) The B4C also came with the vinyl steering wheel and brake release handle unless you specifically ordered the leather wrapped wheel ('98/'99) or the "Duplicate Radio Controls" (00, 01, 02) which got you the leather wrapped wheel and brake release. The B4C also deleted the Z28 emblems and furthermore forced a body colored roof panel, rather than the black roof panel that Z28s came with. CC1 removable roof panels were not available. The 6-speed transmission WAS available. However, from Start of Production in the '98 model year, thru the end of January 2002, the B4C could only be ordered 'Fleet' and that required a 6-digit fleet code to do so. Starting in February of 2002, the B4C was opened up (quietly) to retail orders for a good reason: We told (thru our fleet operations) all B4C users that fleet orders would not be accepted after February 1 due to build out and the large number of sold orders. Naturally, we started getting calls from dealers/police departments wanting to "order one more car......."

No larger battery, no larger alternator, no special transmission or engine or brakes......

oh....a few other things....I believe we made the Monsoon system standard on the Z28 in 1998. (memory is fading...it's late.....) The B4C, on the other hand, got the standard radio ...but could be upgraded to the Monsoon as a free flow option.... and remote keyless entry, while in the upgrade package on the Z28 was a free flow option on the B4C. AND......depending on the number of orders, we would two-tone cars with B4C....required, as I recall, a 90 day lead time and line drawings would have to be submitted.....and the colors had to be existing RPO colors........paint lines would be established by body panels. Most usually had doors and hood the secondary color with the rest of the panels the primary color. There was a charge for this, and thus, most departments desiring special paint would do it locally once they received the cars.
Old 07-10-2020, 09:51 AM
TECH Resident

also they were hard top cars, I think.
Old 07-10-2020, 11:20 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 913 Likes on 653 Posts

I would replace the CKP. A lot of times they don't throw a code when they fail. "Normally" they start to fail when they get hot then just stop working.
Old 07-10-2020, 12:06 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Tyler Dietzenbach
What's different about a B4C???

Got this question asked on another board and figured that because the question comes up with regularity, I'd post it here, too.......... (moderators...you may want to move this to other forums.......)

The question: How does a B4C differ from a Z28?

Since 1998, the only real parts difference, overall is the rear trailing arms.
The packaging is different. From 1998 thru 2000, the B4C came with a Power Steering Cooler, whereas the Z28 offered the cooler as an option....however, the cooler was made standard on all V8s in 2001/ 2002.....
From 1998 thru 2000, the B4C included Eagle RS-A Tires..which meant the car was not speed limited to 110 (or thereabouts) as a standard Z28 with the standard Eagle GA tires. (Z28s with RS-A tires or GSCs were speed limited to 162mph as I recall.)

From 1998 thru 2002, the B4C had power windows, locks, mirrors, and driver's seat in the package along with, I believe, fog lamps cruise control, and a power hatch release. (this forces a heavier wiring harness in the body of the car.......) The B4C also came with the vinyl steering wheel and brake release handle unless you specifically ordered the leather wrapped wheel ('98/'99) or the "Duplicate Radio Controls" (00, 01, 02) which got you the leather wrapped wheel and brake release. The B4C also deleted the Z28 emblems and furthermore forced a body colored roof panel, rather than the black roof panel that Z28s came with. CC1 removable roof panels were not available. The 6-speed transmission WAS available. However, from Start of Production in the '98 model year, thru the end of January 2002, the B4C could only be ordered 'Fleet' and that required a 6-digit fleet code to do so. Starting in February of 2002, the B4C was opened up (quietly) to retail orders for a good reason: We told (thru our fleet operations) all B4C users that fleet orders would not be accepted after February 1 due to build out and the large number of sold orders. Naturally, we started getting calls from dealers/police departments wanting to "order one more car......."

No larger battery, no larger alternator, no special transmission or engine or brakes......

oh....a few other things....I believe we made the Monsoon system standard on the Z28 in 1998. (memory is fading...it's late.....) The B4C, on the other hand, got the standard radio ...but could be upgraded to the Monsoon as a free flow option.... and remote keyless entry, while in the upgrade package on the Z28 was a free flow option on the B4C. AND......depending on the number of orders, we would two-tone cars with B4C....required, as I recall, a 90 day lead time and line drawings would have to be submitted.....and the colors had to be existing RPO colors........paint lines would be established by body panels. Most usually had doors and hood the secondary color with the rest of the panels the primary color. There was a charge for this, and thus, most departments desiring special paint would do it locally once they received the cars.
Is that all......lol

ok cool.....thanks.
Old 07-10-2020, 12:08 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by LilJayV10
I would replace the CKP. A lot of times they don't throw a code when they fail. "Normally" they start to fail when they get hot then just stop working.
I just got The Call.......I have to leave the country over to Asia tomorrow morning. Sucks......won’t be back for 3 months. Going out to cover my car and disconnect the battery now. I’ll do it all when I get back.
The following 2 users liked this post by stilealive:
G Atsma (07-10-2020), LilJayV10 (07-10-2020)
Old 07-10-2020, 12:49 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3,221 Likes on 2,513 Posts

Originally Posted by stilealive
I just got The Call.......I have to leave the country over to Asia tomorrow morning. Sucks......won’t be back for 3 months. Going out to cover my car and disconnect the battery now. I’ll do it all when I get back.
Hey, safe travels, and stay safe!
Old 07-11-2020, 10:23 PM
Banned

So....I stayed one more day. Actually covered it this morning and drive it downstairs to where our building has a tire air service station. Just filing through my building it started losing rpm and backfiring. SES came on. So I read the code and sure enough it said something like: Crankshaft Position Sensor Low Performance

So cool....it’s that sensor. I’ll do it when I get back to the USA.
The following users liked this post:
LilJayV10 (07-12-2020)
Old 07-11-2020, 10:24 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by G Atsma
Hey, safe travels, and stay safe!
Thanks.....flying our Gulfstream 450 to Alaska tomorrow. Rest for about 20 hrs. Then to Tokyo for a fuel stop and on to Malaysia.

Quick Reply: Which sensor, when failing, causes backfiring and complete loss of power, then stall.