PCM Diagnostics & Tuning HP Tuners | Holley | Diablo
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Need help with tuning big injectors (HP tuners)

Search this Thread

Old 10-17-2020, 01:02 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Default Need help with tuning big injectors (HP tuners)

So I have a ly6 short block w/ LS3 heads/intake and btr turbo cam (probably close to a stage ii). It's a sbe turbo motor w/o the turbo. I bought 127 lb Bosche injectors from FIC. I still have the stock fuel system other than a 255 pump and a wiring harness kit for the pump.

So I was using EFI Live and was having issues. It would go from running to not even starting. For a while I had issues because I couldn't lean the idle because there was no place to reduce the minimum pulse width. I then found out someone came up with a way to program it into EFI Live so that solved that part.

Since I heard a lot of talk that EFI Live was primarily focusing on on the diesel market and not really catering to the LS/LT crowd so right or wrong I switched over to HP tuners.

So basically the same thing is happening.

When I make a change it seems to be exaggerated. This morning I finally got back to it and the idle was showing 11% rich and when I pressed on the gas to 1500 and 2000 it was up to 19/20% rich.

So I applied 95 percent to the VE table values. I started it up and it went to 17% lean at idle.

I put the injector values that were supplied. It seems like maybe it's injector/injector data related. Maybe they are smaller than they are supposed to be? If that was the case I wouldn't think I would have had a problem with the minimum pulse width.

I am far from a competent tuner but I know some basics.

Any Ideas?
Attached Files
File Type: hpt
File Type: hpl
logidleonly101720#1.hpl (106.0 KB, 23 views)
File Type: hpl
logidleonly101720#2.hpl (24.3 KB, 24 views)
Old 10-17-2020, 09:36 PM
10 Second Club

Received 1,740 Likes on 1,299 Posts

Efi live has .cax files to set the min pulse adjust. Anywho, make sure your injector data is at the same fuel pressure you are running otherwise you'll have to adjust the IFR table. You'll also need to set the IFR table based on whether or not your fuel pressure regulator is vacuum referenced.
Old 10-18-2020, 06:54 AM
TECH Fanatic

I believe that I do have the proper data. Here is the data that they sent me. The file name includes 4Bar so the data is for fuel pressure at 58 lbs.
Attached Files
Old 10-18-2020, 07:41 AM
10 Second Club

Have you measured fuel pressure? Why are you using massive injectors with a basically stock fuel system?
Old 10-18-2020, 08:21 AM
TECH Fanatic

I haven't checked the fuel pressure but will shortly.

The plan is to put on a turbo. I was tired of the big cam. I previously had a 427 that went bad (in the car since 2009). I just wanted to get this going n/a before the turbo. I bought a used APS twin turbo kit (some parts missing/parts need replacing). I also bought dtk gen II precession 6266 ball bearing turbos.

I didn't know what direction to go with for the fuel system and seeing it's so expensive, I didn't plan to get it until I put the turbos in.

I'd like to get everything working right before the turbos. I kind of took the motor apart myself and put it back together myself so I wasn't even sure it would run. (bought as a short block, had the crank changed from a 58 tooth to a 24 tooth reluctor wheel, gapped the rings, added ls3 heads and trunnion upgrade to stock rockers).
Old 10-18-2020, 08:31 AM
10 Second Club

You hardly needed that big of injector for that turbo. But rereading this, you have to change the VE table using a wideband to see the error at each cell. Your fuel injector data may be fine and your VE may be the issue. You can keep tweaking the injector data or go with what you've got and tweak the ve table. Yes injector data is super important but you should try to change the VE and see if you can dial it in. Then it tells you you're in the ballpark.
Old 10-18-2020, 03:11 PM
TECH Fanatic

Ok, I tried to check this morning. I thought my gauge wasn't working so I bought another. Before I starting using the new gauge I realized I may connected it the wrong way and I did. So operator error. One side of the hose has a pin and the other doesn't.

Anyway, I just checked and at idle it's reading 64-65 lbs, not the 58 lbs that it is suppose to be.

Not sure if that would be the issue?
Old 10-18-2020, 03:38 PM
10 Second Club

It can be part of the issue but you need to tune the VE table with a wideband.
Old 10-18-2020, 03:55 PM
TECH Fanatic

That was what I was doing. I was saying that I made a 5% change to the VE table values and it made a 28 point swing in what was being read by the wideband. It went from 11% rich to 17% lean.

So I'd need to make roughly a 2% change to the table for a 10% rich histogram. Doesn't seem accurate at all. Resolution would pretty much suck.
Old 10-18-2020, 04:13 PM
10 Second Club

You can adjust the ifr for your exact fuel pressure but I still think you need to dial in the VE and see how close you can get it and go from there.
Old 10-18-2020, 06:27 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 99 Likes on 80 Posts

Don't know but did you copy the VE table from your 427 tune file?

Reason I ask is because your cylinder volume is for a 427. If you have a 6.0 your cylinder volume should be in the 45+ range rather than 53.37. That's about an 18 percent difference.

Pretty sure that when you change cylinder volume that all of the values in the VE table adjust as well. You can test which way the numbers adjust by making a copy of your current tune,change cylinder volume, and then compare the result. I don't recall but think when I changed my cylinder volume from the stock 347 to 370 iron block the VE numbers got smaller or vice versa.

In any case I assume you want to start with the correct cylinder volume rather than later find out this step was was missed and then start all over.

https://forum.hptuners.com/showthrea...d-for-anything

Do you have drive by wire? Is that why your base set point for the base idle table contains zero's in the P/N row? Same for the Base Running Airflow? The P/N row contains zero values in the BRAF table as well. Is that normal for drive by wire? Maslic's tutorial suggests that you need values in the P/N row in both tables. If not then what's the point of the tutorial explaining how to change the values?

Maslic's rule is to double the stock values in the BRAF table with a mild cam. Then from that point create a BRAF correction table to tweak the BRAF values. Follow Chopper Doc's tutorials showing how to create a BRAF correction graf.

Dynamic airflow in your log is around 17 - 18 when it should be around 12 or less at 750 - 850 RPM. As you tweak the BRAF table, desired air flow g/s and dynamic air flow g/s get closer and closer. You need to add desired airflow to your log.

Maslic has, IMO, a very good tutorial explaining how to tune for idle.

Last edited by dlandsvZ28; 10-19-2020 at 08:42 AM. Reason: edit content
Old 10-19-2020, 10:06 PM
TECH Fanatic

Kind of weird but I see under cylinder volume there is a .875 liter value which equates to a 427 (my view is in metric). I thought that I kind of started from scratch.

I'll fix that as well and see what kind of effect it has.

I have a 102mm fast on an LS3 intake. It has a throttle cable (I guess drive by wire)

It's a 6 spd. I will look into the other stuff as well.

Thanks
Old 10-20-2020, 12:43 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 99 Likes on 80 Posts

It appears you have drive by cable:

Quick Reply: Need help with tuning big injectors (HP tuners)