PCM Diagnostics & Tuning HP Tuners | Holley | Diablo

Hp tuners doesn't work after update.

Search this Thread

Old 11-08-2020, 09:55 AM
10 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Hp tuners doesn't work after update.

Hp tuners doesn't work after update. Cant seem to get it uninstalled to go back to previous version. Anyone else? I saw on there forum were others had posted the same with no response.
Old 11-08-2020, 10:21 AM
Launching!

Received 29 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by randall 32
Hp tuners doesn't work after update. Cant seem to get it uninstalled to go back to previous version. Anyone else? I saw on there forum were others had posted the same with no response.
Which version are you running? Which post in their forum?
Old 11-09-2020, 05:04 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 99 Likes on 80 Posts

If Windows System Restore is active, Windows creates a restore point at each update. Some restore points can go back for 30 days or more.

If you have not already done so I would restore to a previous date prior to when you performed the last HP Tuners update or installation. You do NOT lose any data when you do a system restore to an earlier date. For example: email data logs, tunes, Excel spreadsheets,Word Docs.

Then reinstall HP Tuners and latest update.

As for Windows updates that were installed after the chosen restore date - Windows will catch up with updates either automatically or during a shutdown after you restore..
The following users liked this post:
68Formula (10-28-2021)
Old 11-14-2020, 08:56 PM
10 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thank you, I had tried to restore to previous install point, but still couldn't connect to the mpvi. After opening a ticket with hp tuners and remote access diagnosis the mpvi failed during a firmware update. HP TUNERS emailed me a return label for the mpvi. If they can't fix it they will send me a new one. A great company to work with.
Old 11-19-2020, 03:16 PM
TECH Addict

Received 202 Likes on 166 Posts
LS1Tech 10 Year

I am curious what HP Tuners setup you have/had? Was it a MPVI 2 or a older cable? They have not come out and said it, but it sure seems like they are trying to get rid of the cable units. It seems every update, some things change and or stop working. As someone who understands the software side of things, I worry they are causing this movement. I don't understand why they would do this, unless there are things I am unaware of. There are others on a Facebook group who also feel this way. My last problem, I got absolutely no response from them at all. As a company who used to be right on top of responding, they seem to be much less so now imo.
Old 11-20-2020, 12:04 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 915 Likes on 655 Posts
LS1Tech 10 Year

From what I was told, The MPVI1 was able to be hacked someway and they are loosing money. That's why they offer such a sweet trade in on the MPVI2. HPT will also transfer all of your licenses from the MPVI1 to the MPVI2...but won't send you your MPVI1 back.

I got kinda shitty with someone at HPT on the forums when they finally came out and said that.

JSAauto (01-21-2023)
Old 11-20-2020, 03:37 PM
8 Second Club

Received 712 Likes on 446 Posts
LS1Tech 10 Year

Heard that too.
I still have the orig MPVI.
I tune a turbo truck, they have MPVI2. I find that the data is cleaner. Especially the external inputs. Wideband and fuel pressure in this case.

We did have issues with the trans brake solenoid flyback voltage killing the data. Was not an issue when we logged with my MPVI. We fixed that thankfully.

i went to their website to see how to trade in my MPVI pro. Very confusing. Not sure why they just can’t spell it out. Like, trading in the orig pro ought to net you the pro MPVI2 pro with the cables. They seem to want to charge extra for that.
Old 11-20-2020, 05:43 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 380 Likes on 252 Posts

Originally Posted by LilJayV10
From what I was told, The MPVI1 was able to be hacked someway and they are loosing money. That's why they offer such a sweet trade in on the MPVI2. HPT will also transfer all of your licenses from the MPVI1 to the MPVI2...but won't send you your MPVI1 back.

I got kinda shitty with someone at HPT on the forums when they finally came out and said that.
I was in limbo when I bought my old MPVI pro. They had just rolled out the MPVI2 and the MPVI was no longer for sale at their dealers. I'm guessing the licensed dealers traded the old units for the newer. The MPVI2 Pro features were not supported yet and that caused a lot of negativity on the forums. I couldn't find the older pro anywhere with GM credits. Finally found a new MPVI Pro on e-bay with 8 Ford credits.

Was thinking of doing the swap to the new MPVI2 so I can exchange those useless Ford credits to universal. Kyle over at Goat Rope Garage says to hold on to the old pro units "they're like gold". I guess I'll keep it until they force us to down grade to the new 2 lol.
Old 12-01-2020, 04:36 PM
TECH Addict

LS1Tech 10 Year

Yeah I heard it was a actual credit hack though idk. I have absolutely ZERO desire to "upgrade" to their wireless setup. Granted, I am/was one of the people who looked at it when it first came out. I was much more involved in their forum at the time and it started out pretty rough. At the time there was no way to log a wideband. I'm guessing that's fixed, but I was done right then and there. I couldn't understand how/why they would release a product at that scale, without a vital function even figured out. I will say, I do like HPT, however they have a reputation for "working on that" for a long time before ever actually getting around to releasing "that" whatever it may be. JMO
Old 12-01-2020, 05:06 PM
8 Second Club

LS1Tech 10 Year

I decided to stick with my MPVI1 pro.
Old 12-01-2020, 06:32 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 380 Likes on 252 Posts

Originally Posted by rpturbo
Yeah I heard it was a actual credit hack though idk.

Law 360, New York (September 21, 2017, 3:07 PM EDT) -- An Illinois- based maker of software designed to let car enthusiasts and repair shops tune vehicle computers went after a rival in Washington federal court Wednesday for allegedly hacking into the company's systems and making off with trade secrets.

HP Tuners LLC alleges in its complaint that Syked ECU Tuning Inc. and its president, Kevin Sykes-Bonnett, wormed their way into the plaintiff's VCM Suite software, stole its source code and misappropriated it in a number of ways, including by creating a “cracked” version of the software that lets users dodge licensing fees.

“Defendants, acting in concert with others, have wrongfully accessed, trespassed, engineered and/or hacked HPT’s software, systems and source code to remove licensing restrictions from HPT’s VCM Suite software to distribute it for their own profit as well as to cause harm to HPT, which defendants view as a competitor,” the complaint says.

The suit continues, “Defendants, acting in concert with others, accomplished this via various means including adding extra licenses to existing interfaces and reselling them, by logging in via remote desktop to customer machines to enter in a hacked license key and by selling a version of hacked software with licensing defeated.”

HP Tuners alleges that it invested significant time and resources into developing its tuning and data acquisition software, which lets users tune and calibrate the computers in automobiles, trucks and other vehicles, including all-terrain vehicles and snowmobiles.

The company has taken substantial precautions to protect its proprietary products and source code, restricting access to HP Tuners' confidential information among employees and implementing security measures like hard-drive encryption and sophisticated firewalls, according to the complaint.

However, a little more than a year after purchasing software from HP Tuners in September 2015, Sykes-Bonnett started reaching out to company employees, hinting at having reverse engineered the product and threatening to make public a version that does not require licensing, the suit alleges.

In early 2017, Sykes-Bonnett started advertising hacked versions of HP Tuners products on Facebook and bashing HP Tuners and its owners in posts, according to the complaint.

The offerings ramped up as the year went on, with posts showing up on HP Tuners' forum under a username believed to be used by Sykes-Bonnett and other conspirators, offering help with generating VCM Suite licenses at discounted prices and advertising cracked versions of the software that do not require licenses at all, the suit says.

The email address associated with that username proceeded to send HP Tuners a number of messages threatening to publicly release cracked versions of its software, until the company obtained a temporary restraining order in connection with arbitration proceedings against a former employee, according to the complaint.

"As a direct and proximate result of defendants’ ongoing violations and the misconduct alleged herein, [HP Tuners] has suffered, and will continue to suffer substantial injuries, loss and damage to its business and goodwill in an amount to be proven at trial," the suit says. "If defendants are permitted to continue its conduct, [HP Tuners] will be irreparably harmed."

The suit accuses Sykes-Bonnett and his Washington-based company of violating the Computer Fraud and Abuse Act; federal, Washington and Illinois trade secrets statutes; and both states' consumer protection laws. The complaint also brings claims for breach of contract and tortious interference.

HP Tuners seeks disgorgement of the defendants’ profits and damages suffered by the plaintiff; exemplary, compensatory and other damages; injunctive relief; pre- and post-judgment interest; and attorneys’ fees and costs.

Representatives for the parties did not immediately return requests for comment Thursday.

HP Tuners is represented by Stephen G. Leatham of Heurlin Potter Jahn Leatham Holtmann & Stoker PS and Andrew P. Bleiman of Marks & Klein.
Old 12-03-2020, 09:48 AM
TECH Addict

LS1Tech 10 Year

Nice find. IMO Hopefully HPT stomps the guy in court. I'm all about free enterprise, but reverse engineering someone's product, and blackmailing employees, well there are laws against that. We might not be able to keep other countries from making a copy of stuff, changing something and importing it here much cheaper, but we can keep this from happening. If the guy was smart enough to build his own system great, but not this.
G Atsma (12-03-2020)
Old 12-04-2020, 12:21 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 482 Likes on 333 Posts
LS1Tech 10 Year

That law suite is old news.... They are forcing firmware updates to control what you can and can not use. They don't want you to have access to functions in older version of the software. This is a long winded video but it explains a few things.I don't think he discusses any thing till about 5 min in.

RedXray (12-04-2020)
Old 10-20-2021, 07:49 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 211 Likes on 163 Posts
LS1Tech 10 Year

Figured this would be a good thread to add to, I noticed this happened to the 3D chart after a windows update on the 18th. I removed the update and it was back to normal.

G Atsma (10-20-2021)
Old 10-20-2021, 11:00 AM
8 Second Club

LS1Tech 10 Year

Yep. But windows will re-install it.
Old 10-20-2021, 11:55 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 211 Likes on 163 Posts
LS1Tech 10 Year

Originally Posted by RonSSNova
Yep. But windows will re-install it.
Yes, if your computer is connected online. I turned off the auto updates for now until HP resolves the issue.
G Atsma (10-20-2021)
Old 10-27-2021, 12:47 PM
On The Tree

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
LS1Tech 10 Year

Originally Posted by LaBLKv6Z
Yes, if your computer is connected online. I turned off the auto updates for now until HP resolves the issue.
Using the latest 4.11 Beta solves the issue, but now you are stuck using the newer software that has less features, and if you have an old MPVI still on firmware 120, it will update the firmware to 121.
The following 2 users liked this post by Pulse_GTO:
G Atsma (10-27-2021), JimMueller (11-03-2021)
Old 10-27-2021, 05:11 PM
10 Second Club

Received 69 Likes on 52 Posts
LS1Tech 10 Year

Originally Posted by LaBLKv6Z
Figured this would be a good thread to add to, I noticed this happened to the 3D chart after a windows update on the 18th. I removed the update and it was back to normal.

How do you remove a windows update???? My 3d chart looks the same.
Old 10-27-2021, 10:45 PM
8 Second Club

LS1Tech 10 Year

Originally Posted by Pulse_GTO
Using the latest 4.11 Beta solves the issue, but now you are stuck using the newer software that has less features, and if you have an old MPVI still on firmware 120, it will update the firmware to 121.
Figured that would happen.
I’ll stick with less security and 4.8.7
Pretty sure MPVI1 FW went to 1.21 some time ago if you were updating the SW regularly.

What sucks is trying to help folks who have gone 4.1X and you can’t read their tunes. Oh well!
Old 10-27-2021, 10:46 PM
8 Second Club

LS1Tech 10 Year

Originally Posted by dw456post
How do you remove a windows update???? My 3d chart looks the same.
control panel/add remove programs/installed updates.

dw456post (10-28-2021)

Quick Reply: Hp tuners doesn't work after update.