Sponsored by:

Holley term X inputs/outputs

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-2021, 10:03 PM
TECH Addict

Received 107 Likes on 92 Posts
Default Holley term X inputs/outputs

terminator X ls1 99-07 24x EV1 kit

Most of my term x is installed on a gen 3 5.3 and getting to the point of hooking up the inputs and outputs. All I need to control are fans 1&2 which will trigger my GM 3 relay harness I built for my 78 vette with dual fans. It says the stock ecu is setup for fan 1 and fan 2 on grey/red and grey/yellow outputs. Then says Idle input for fan bump on white/blue input I believe. The input/output harness has 8 pins/wires, 4 are white/color and those are inputs and grey/color are outputs.

- can I connect the white/blue idle input (looks for ground I believe) to the fan 1 or fan 2 output (ECM sends ground to activate fan relays) that way when the fans kick on the input is activated and I get a bump in idle speed?

- what are the other 5 wires controlling? It only describes one other wire but I have no idea what the remaining outputs/inputs do. My fitech had terminated plugs and non configurable inputs/outputs so I want to make sure I have everything looked up. I noticed every white and every grey wire have the similar color for each... so grey/yellow, white/yellow, grey/blue, white/blue etc. I’m not a tard with electronics and wiring but there is no diagram in the instructions! If I don’t need them that’s great and I can configure them later if I need to.

Old 01-21-2021, 11:04 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Don't connect an input wire to an output wire, you are defeating the purpose of the software.
You can go in and assign the inputs/outputs to whatever function you want as long as it meets the requirements for that i/o (ground, pwm, etc...)

Go into the software in the I/O dropdown. Assign the outputs to Fan 1 and Fan 2 and configure them however you want.
Old 01-21-2021, 11:32 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by MtotheIKEo
Don't connect an input wire to an output wire, you are defeating the purpose of the software.
You can go in and assign the inputs/outputs to whatever function you want as long as it meets the requirements for that i/o (ground, pwm, etc...)

Go into the software in the I/O dropdown. Assign the outputs to Fan 1 and Fan 2 and configure them however you want.
I think you must be missing what I was saying, I wasn't defeating the purpose of the output/input. The Fan 1 and 2 are ground outputs, the IAC Kick is an input (senses ground) and increases idle/iac steps to compensate for fan amp draw so the RPM doesn't drop when they kick on. Fan 1 & 2 go to the relay triggers for the dual fan speeds, but I could easily add the idle speed input to either of those connections (use it as a trigger)... so if fan 1 (low) or Fan 2 (high) kicks on it will sense the ground and thus increase idle speed so no RPM drop. I personally think this will be something that I have to play with as the dual speed relay setup doesn't really have a hard AMP draw on low so I might trigger it with the High output.

I'm not sure why Holley doesnt say anything about any of the other inputs/outputs in the manual/instructions. It talks very specifically about those 4 (Fan 1 output, Fan 2 output, AC shutdown output, IAC Kick input) only saying they are pre-configured in the base calibrations. I just wasn't sure if any of the other inputs were needed for the startup/running of the EFI system. You know how on the holley HP or Dominator they say it has 4 or 10 inputs and each bank of coils is an input, injectors is an output etc so when you get all the necessary stuff hooked up its really like 1 or 2 extra inputs/outputs that you can configure.
Old 01-21-2021, 11:33 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 399 Likes on 291 Posts

I have HP EFI, very similar.

There is no wire for fans in the harness, You have to use up custom outputs to operate fans. After you choose which of the custom outputs will be used for fans, then you can go into the software and configure the conditions when the fans operate. Holley has a built-in fan configurator in the software where they help you build the fan settings. Don't use it. You can do better yourself by building your own conditions when the fan goes on/off.

The other thing I think you're referring to is AC Kick. It's a software feature where the ECU will momentarily bump the IAC valve if it sees a voltage change on the AC Kick wire input to ECU. It's meant to help the engine from stumbling at idle when a parasitic load turns on, such as AC compressor. I guess you could use it with fans, but most people don't need to. My idle is entirely unaffected by electric fans. Again, there is no wire in the harness for AC Kick, you have to use up one of your custom inputs and assign it as the AC Kick.
Old 01-21-2021, 11:41 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by QwkTrip
I have HP EFI, very similar.

There is no wire for fans in the harness, You have to use up custom outputs to operate fans. After you choose which of the custom outputs will be used for fans, then you can go into the software and configure the conditions when the fans operate. Holley has a built-in fan configurator in the software where they help you build the fan settings. Don't use it. You can do better yourself by building your own conditions when the fan goes on/off.

The other thing I think you're referring to is AC Kick. It's a software feature where the ECU will momentarily bump the IAC valve if it sees a voltage change on the AC Kick wire input to ECU. It's meant to help the engine from stumbling at idle when a parasitic load turns on, such as AC compressor. I guess you could use it with fans, but most people don't need to. My idle is entirely unaffected by electric fans. Again, there is no wire in the harness for AC Kick, you have to use up one of your custom inputs and assign it as the AC Kick.
Sounds about right QuickTrip, I understand all that! See my comment above, Holley pre-configured certain inputs/outputs in the base tunes. My fans only need ground triggers for low and high speeds, IAC kick for fans but like you said it probably wouldn't need it. In my other car I run the fitech ultimate LS EFI with a turbo 5.3 and it gets a light surge when my fans kick on... not sure why. I won't have AC, and I doubt I would need anything but my fans to come on at the assigned temps... my trans is a 700r4 with mechanical speedo so I can't do fan on/off by speed etc. If I was on the highway I would think temps would drop below set temps so the fans would be off anyways. I just thought maybe the IAC kick would help if my fans all of a sudden needed 20 more amps that the alternator loads the engine a tad more.
Old 01-22-2021, 12:03 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by MtotheIKEo
That's just total BS. Nothing wrong with having an input monitor an output. Sometimes it's even necessary depending what you're trying to do.
Old 01-22-2021, 12:42 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by customblackbird
In my other car I run the fitech ultimate LS EFI with a turbo 5.3 and it gets a light surge when my fans kick on... not sure why.
So is the AC Kick looking for a +12V rise, or a pull to ground? All your Terminator X custom outputs are grounds, so monitoring an Output is not going to work if AC Kick is looking for a +12V rise. I know the AC Kick with my HP EFI unit is looking for a +12V rise.

I kinda doubt you'll need the AC Kick with fans. What you could do is lay the wire in place so it's there if you need it later. I seeded my harness with several extra wires just in case I came up with new ideas in the future.
Old 01-25-2021, 09:27 AM
TECH Addict

So is the AC Kick looking for a +12V rise, or a pull to ground? All your Terminator X custom outputs are grounds, so monitoring an Output is not going to work if AC Kick is looking for a +12V rise. I know the AC Kick with my HP EFI unit is looking for a +12V rise.

I kinda doubt you'll need the AC Kick with fans. What you could do is lay the wire in place so it's there if you need it later. I seeded my harness with several extra wires just in case I came up with new ideas in the future.
On the term X its looking for a ground, so connecting it to the Fan 1 or fan 2 output from the holley will provide the ground. On my Fitech I'm not using any IAC kick/bump... in the internal software the fan 1 and 2 outputs allow the PCM to add IAC or RPM when activated... but I'm using a flexalite variable speed controller that uses its own sensor and harness.I'm not sure why I get the light surging its timed perfectly when the fans kick on and I know the flexalite is not PWM control but does somehow control fan speed to 60% starting.
Old 01-27-2021, 09:26 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1,451 Likes on 916 Posts

On the term X its looking for a ground, so connecting it to the Fan 1 or fan 2 output from the holley will provide the ground. On my Fitech I'm not using any IAC kick/bump... in the internal software the fan 1 and 2 outputs allow the PCM to add IAC or RPM when activated... but I'm using a flexalite variable speed controller that uses its own sensor and harness.I'm not sure why I get the light surging its timed perfectly when the fans kick on and I know the flexalite is not PWM control but does somehow control fan speed to 60% starting.
The IAC Kick input on the Terminator X is a 12+ input. It should get activated when the AC compressor is energized. While this is helpful, I find that in most cases it is not necessary, as the IAC and spark timing do a nice job of maintaining target idle speed when the compressor kicks on. The IAC kick is a momentary bump in IAC to avoid a stumble, mostly at idle, when the compressor kicks on.

I suggest you read over the wiring manual:
https://documents.holley.com/techlib...10555rev17.pdf

That particular document is for the HP and Dominator, but most everything is applicable to the Terminator X, with the exception that all Terminator X outputs are either ground side triggers or PWM-, while the HP and Dominator can have high side trigger outputs and PWM+

Andrew
Old 01-27-2021, 10:18 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by Project GatTagO
The IAC Kick input on the Terminator X is a 12+ input. It should get activated when the AC compressor is energized. While this is helpful, I find that in most cases it is not necessary, as the IAC and spark timing do a nice job of maintaining target idle speed when the compressor kicks on. The IAC kick is a momentary bump in IAC to avoid a stumble, mostly at idle, when the compressor kicks on.

I suggest you read over the wiring manual:
https://documents.holley.com/techlib...10555rev17.pdf

That particular document is for the HP and Dominator, but most everything is applicable to the Terminator X, with the exception that all Terminator X outputs are either ground side triggers or PWM-, while the HP and Dominator can have high side trigger outputs and PWM+

Andrew
I'm sorry but you are incorrect, I suggest you read the right manual as I have been through this manual multiple times. I have attached a screenshot from the Terminator X reference guide/manual 550-903 as well as a link below so you can refresh yourself on the wiring schematics. I don't disagree however with you and I will prob leave the wire not connected but run out to the same area just in case. All the Inputs and outputs including the IAC kick are ground activated on the terminator X.

Page 27 has the inputs/outputs
https://documents.holley.com/techlibrary_199r11761.pdf

Old 01-27-2021, 10:41 AM
TECH Senior Member

I'm sorry but you are incorrect, I suggest you read the right manual as I have been through this manual multiple times. I have attached a screenshot from the Terminator X reference guide/manual 550-903 as well as a link below so you can refresh yourself on the wiring schematics. I don't disagree however with you and I will prob leave the wire not connected but run out to the same area just in case. All the Inputs and outputs including the IAC kick are ground activated on the terminator X.

Page 27 has the inputs/outputs
https://documents.holley.com/techlibrary_199r11761.pdf

I must be an idiot then...sounds like you have it all figured out. So carry on.

Andrew
The following users liked this post:
customblackbird (01-27-2021)
Old 01-27-2021, 10:47 AM
TECH Addict

I must be an idiot then...sounds like you have it all figured out. So carry on.

Andrew
Don't think you are... easy to mix up especially with all the options that holley has for systems. I like to conclude my threads so people looking back won't read miss information.
Old 01-27-2021, 11:07 AM
TECH Senior Member

I didn't take all three tiers of Holley EFI classes for ***** and giggles...

The A/C kick can be configured as a 12+ input, which makes it easier to trigger when hooked to the compressor activation wire.

Andrew
customblackbird (01-27-2021)
Old 01-27-2021, 12:13 PM
TECH Fanatic

I didn't take all three tiers of Holley EFI classes for ***** and giggles...
Are you andrewb70 at the Holley EFI forum? You've helped me a lot over there. Just want to say I appreciate that, man!
Project GatTagO (01-27-2021)
Old 01-27-2021, 02:01 PM
TECH Senior Member

Are you andrewb70 at the Holley EFI forum? You've helped me a lot over there. Just want to say I appreciate that, man!
That's me. Glad to help!

Andrew
Old 05-21-2021, 10:00 AM
Staging Lane

Sorry to tag onto your thread here, but I think its related. I'm wiring up my Terminator X right now, and working on the I/O.

In the manual as mentioned above, Fan 1 is pre-programmed as a ground on the gray/yellow output 1.

But in the only listing of all 8 I/O that I can find on their website, it says gray/yellow output 1 cant be a ground. So I assume that list is incorrect, but where do I find a list of what these I/Os can be, other than in the software which I dont have anywhere yet.

Thanks
Old 05-21-2021, 02:49 PM
TECH Regular

Received 115 Likes on 88 Posts

Originally Posted by BaD AZz Z28
Sorry to tag onto your thread here, but I think its related. I'm wiring up my Terminator X right now, and working on the I/O.

In the manual as mentioned above, Fan 1 is pre-programmed as a ground on the gray/yellow output 1.

But in the only listing of all 8 I/O that I can find on their website, it says gray/yellow output 1 cant be a ground. So I assume that list is incorrect, but where do I find a list of what these I/Os can be, other than in the software which I dont have anywhere yet.

Thanks
I belie the harness is common with some of the other systems (Dominator, HP) and that documentation was never updated. For Terminator X, all 4 outputs are G P-

The following 2 users liked this post by Haggar:
BaD AZz Z28 (05-21-2021), Project GatTagO (05-21-2021)
Old 05-21-2021, 02:52 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by Haggar
I belie the harness is common with some of the other systems (Dominator, HP) and that documentation was never updated. For Terminator X, all 4 outputs are G P-
That is correct. The instructions for 558-400 need to be updated with a TerminatorX section.

Andrew
BaD AZz Z28 (05-21-2021)
Old 05-21-2021, 03:46 PM
Staging Lane

Thanks for the quick reply guys. I'm wrapping up power, grounds, and relays for this swap today. Now I just have the other 90 wires this car needs to be done haha.

Quick Reply: Holley term X inputs/outputs