Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Hp Tuners user defined pid’s

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-2021, 07:27 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Default Hp Tuners user defined pid’s

Been trying to get different information from the speed sensor in hp tuners. My end goal is to try and calculate how much clutch slip I have. I can hand calculate all this with mph and engine rpm but I would rather know what the driveshaft speed is or the input shaft speed.

If I can use the user defined pids part in vcm scanner to do this then that would be great but I’m having trouble trying to figure out how to do that if it’s possible.
Old 02-18-2021, 02:02 AM
TECH Resident

Received 137 Likes on 105 Posts

If you can create a math parameter for RPM/MPH, you'll get a ratio that will normally have one of 5 or 6 ratios (depending on how many gears your trans has) with some random values while you're starting and shifting. If you log a short run through all gears, just spending a few seconds in each gear, you'll see what the ratios normally are.

Then when you log some interesting driving (a drag pass, for example), and plot that ratio over time, you should see a few straight lines with some short squiggles at each shift. If your clutch slips I suspect you'll see a shift squiggle followed by a bent line. And I'm guessing that bend will stand out enough to give you the insight you are looking for.
Old 02-18-2021, 03:08 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by NSFW
If you can create a math parameter for RPM/MPH, you'll get a ratio that will normally have one of 5 or 6 ratios (depending on how many gears your trans has) with some random values while you're starting and shifting. If you log a short run through all gears, just spending a few seconds in each gear, you'll see what the ratios normally are.

Then when you log some interesting driving (a drag pass, for example), and plot that ratio over time, you should see a few straight lines with some short squiggles at each shift. If your clutch slips I suspect you'll see a shift squiggle followed by a bent line. And I'm guessing that bend will stand out enough to give you the insight you are looking for.
I see what your saying. I was wanting to do something more precise and easier to read. I made a formula I’m gonna try to get input shaft rpm using mph as the sensor reads. That way it will plot a graph next to engine rpm in the chart area of vcm scanner. I’m gonna test it on my trans am on the way home from work and see if it works or not.

I will post the formula later on tonight.

honestly my biggest issue with the vcm scanner is that I cannot put at least a single decimal place on the mph so when I calculate the amount of clutch slip, it would be really accurate.

Last edited by nmass399; 02-18-2021 at 03:23 PM.
Old 02-18-2021, 07:12 PM
TECH Fanatic

((Gear ratio*336)*mph)/tire diameter in inches)=driveshaft rpm
driveshaft rpm*current trans gear ratio=inputshaft speed

For 4th gear in the trans with the converter locked ((1085.28*[sense.20.Imp])/24.91)*.688

It never would equal the pid (trans input shaft rpm) for some reason but it was only around 50 rpm away at most.

Also it would not equal the engine rpm most of the time but at one point it calculated the input shaft rpm that I setup to be more than the actual engine rpm. I guess it’s about as good as it’s gonna get here.

My camaro is a t56 car and won’t measure input shaft rpm in the pid’s, not sure why exactly other than it doesn’t know what gear it’s in.

Quick Reply: Hp Tuners user defined pid’s