PCM Diagnostics & Tuning HP Tuners | Holley | Diablo

E67 ECM / 6l80e TCM compatibility - no signal

Search this Thread

Old 11-04-2021 | 12:17 PM
Teching In

Default E67 ECM / 6l80e TCM compatibility - no signal

I need to get my stalled project going...I purchased what I thought would be a ready to use ecm / harness package for an LS3/6l80e swap from a shop. I have everything installed but getting a communications error and no signal is being sent to the starter. I am getting a Can Bus error - U0100. It seems the BCM and ECM is OK since I can get PIDs and the chimes and the climate control and radio work fine.

I did not realize I would need a TCM programmed to the VIN so that has not been done yet. I have 2 questions -

Can the U0100 code cause no signal being sent to the starter ? I was told by the shop that the communications routes through the TCM and this is why it will not turn over @ all.
The ECM is a "Corvette" based tune which I believe only means I can add select shift/paddle later. Do I need a particular TCM for this type of configuration ?
Old 11-05-2021 | 06:39 AM
TECH Resident
15 Year Member

Normally for a conversion the starter wiring bypasses the ECM, but do you have factory style key on via BCM?

Also normally even if the CAN between the ECM and TCM is disconnected, the engine will start but the trans will run in limp mode - single speed in Drive in 3rd gear.

And yes you need a TCM OS/Cal that is matched with the C6 ECM OS/cal. Same model year preferred for best results. .

Originally Posted by mrbtd
I need to get my stalled project going...I purchased what I thought would be a ready to use ecm / harness package for an LS3/6l80e swap from a shop. I have everything installed but getting a communications error and no signal is being sent to the starter. I am getting a Can Bus error - U0100. It seems the BCM and ECM is OK since I can get PIDs and the chimes and the climate control and radio work fine.

I did not realize I would need a TCM programmed to the VIN so that has not been done yet. I have 2 questions -

Can the U0100 code cause no signal being sent to the starter ? I was told by the shop that the communications routes through the TCM and this is why it will not turn over @ all.
The ECM is a "Corvette" based tune which I believe only means I can add select shift/paddle later. Do I need a particular TCM for this type of configuration ?
The following users liked this post:
mrbtd (11-05-2021)
Old 11-05-2021 | 07:50 AM
9 Second Club
20 Year Member

only zr1's used E67 and were all manuals, base vettes and z06 both used e38's.
Old 11-05-2021 | 08:51 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by rsz288
Normally for a conversion the starter wiring bypasses the ECM, but do you have factory style key on via BCM?

Also normally even if the CAN between the ECM and TCM is disconnected, the engine will start but the trans will run in limp mode - single speed in Drive in 3rd gear.

And yes you need a TCM OS/Cal that is matched with the C6 ECM OS/cal. Same model year preferred for best results. .
I am using the factory style key via the BCM. Interesting though - if my TCM is not connected the ODB port cannot communicate with HP Tuners (connect).

OK it seems like there is no doubt I have a mismatch between the ECM and TCM. I guess where I am stuck is I only know the OS of the ECM (12632122) I was told the TCM I need is 24275872. Would love to verify that before throwing more $ at it.

The no starter signal has me worried. Of course the shop I purchased everything from is telling me it is because of the TCM issue and they are having trouble getting a TCM programmed so I was looking to move in another direction.
Old 11-06-2021 | 04:22 AM
TECH Resident
15 Year Member

Originally Posted by mrbtd
I am using the factory style key via the BCM. Interesting though - if my TCM is not connected the ODB port cannot communicate with HP Tuners (connect).

OK it seems like there is no doubt I have a mismatch between the ECM and TCM. I guess where I am stuck is I only know the OS of the ECM (12632122) I was told the TCM I need is 24275872. Would love to verify that before throwing more $ at it.

The no starter signal has me worried. Of course the shop I purchased everything from is telling me it is because of the TCM issue and they are having trouble getting a TCM programmed so I was looking to move in another direction.
Minytrker is correct. I was thinking E38. E67 if it is Corvette is manual only. If you are meaning when you pull the T43 TCM connector, HPT wont connect, likely the CAN is wired through the T43 in the A6. This is one of the wiring options used. But if your E67 is for a manual (ZR1), it wont be trying to talk to the T43 TCM. Did you read the OS numbers with HPT or another scanner? PM the VINs (ECM & TCM) if you did and can check what the OS/Cals are from.

Quick Reply: E67 ECM / 6l80e TCM compatibility - no signal