Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Open-loop due to system failure

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-2022, 01:24 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Open-loop due to system failure

Hey guys I'm hoping this is an okay area to post this.... But I need some real help and no BS or anything please I have a 98 Chevy S-10 It is still the Stock 4.3 Vortec engine and it has the Same VCM that a lot of the full size trucks use and so on and in the S-10 Forum there was not much help and seems to be a lot more Knowledgeable people in here with the VCM diagnostics, tuning etc.

So my issue is that my truck is running RICH and I mean extremely rich! It's stuck in Open Loop and my scanner says (open Loop due to System Failure Fuel Status 1 and 2) I checked my Code Reader/Scanner and seen it had ((P0134 and P0154 "02 Sensor No Activity Detected"). I did have 2 Broken wires to my Drivers side 02 Sensor (however before I found the broken wire I replaced all three 02's assuming one or all were bad). So anyways after clearing the codes and driving it once again I still get the exact same codes. So got it back home and decided to remove the entire Harness, unplugged the wire harness from the transmission all the way to the PCM I literally took the entire wire harness out and went through it, I fixed the Tan/White wire and Purple/White wire that went to the Drivers side 02 Sensor and found a break where they rubbed through on the Passenger side Valve Cover along with 2 broken grounds that went to the back of the Drivers side head and just grounded them to a new spot on the fire wall with a new wire and all wire repairs were done with Solder and Heat Shrink too, I also pulled the Passenger side 02 Sensor Wire harness that plugs into the main harness by the Passenger side exhaust manifold behind the Passenger tire area and went through that harness 100%, there is no breaks at all.

With the Key on there is 12V to all of the Pink Wires on all 02 Plugs

With the key on I get 4.50V at the Tan passenger 02 Plug
With key on I get 0.00V to the Purple Passenger 02 Plug

With the Key on I get 4.50V at the Drivers Side Tan/White wire 02 Plug
With key on I get 0.00V at the Purple White wire 02 Plug
(Same with the Cat 02)

Here is what my Scanner is saying during Idle

all 3 032 Sensor are showing .045mV (No fluctuation no movement at all!)

Engine Coolant Temp - 192.2

Mass Air Flow Rate - 1.73lb/min

Intake Manifold Absolute Pressure - 24.21 inHg

Ignition Timing is 20 Degrees Advanced

655 RPMS

I'm not sure what else to do. There is no Exhaust Leaks, No clogged Cat, etc. Is my VCM bad?

Old 01-30-2022, 07:03 PM
Teching In

Well this forum is pretty ****** useless.
Old 01-30-2022, 10:38 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3,221 Likes on 2,513 Posts

Originally Posted by FourThreeVortec
It is useful for most who take advantage of it, AND if you are fortunate enough to have an issue someone here has a solution to. Hundreds have been helped here.
If all you demand of us is a reply of sorts, dozens would do so with a "sorry, can't help you" which solves nothing.
Sometimes it might be a week or more before the right guy with experience with your issue in particular might catch sight of your post. You only waited 3 days.
But to declare this forum useless is being pretty narrow-minded. Before you throw labels out, check a mirror sometime.
The following users liked this post:
Tyler Dietzenbach (01-30-2022)
Old 01-30-2022, 10:59 PM
TECH Resident

Received 133 Likes on 114 Posts

Originally Posted by G Atsma
It is useful for most who take advantage of it, AND if you are fortunate enough to have an issue someone here has a solution to. Hundreds have been helped here.
If all you demand of us is a reply of sorts, dozens would do so with a "sorry, can't help you" which solves nothing.
Sometimes it might be a week or more before the right guy with experience with your issue in particular might catch sight of your post. You only waited 3 days.
But to declare this forum useless is being pretty narrow-minded. Before you throw labels out, check a mirror sometime.

Only thing I'd change "hundreds have been helped here" I can confidently say it's in the 1000s.
G Atsma (01-31-2022)
Old 01-31-2022, 12:20 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3,221 Likes on 2,513 Posts

Originally Posted by Tyler Dietzenbach
Only thing I'd change "hundreds have been helped here" I can confidently say it's in the 1000s.
Didn't want to sound like I was bragging.... thanks man...
Tyler Dietzenbach (01-31-2022)
Old 01-31-2022, 08:02 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 913 Likes on 653 Posts

Originally Posted by FourThreeVortec
Wow. Go back to wherever the **** you came from. Anyone that might have helped you probably won't now.

The following 2 users liked this post by LilJayV10:
G Atsma (01-31-2022), Tyler Dietzenbach (01-31-2022)
Old 01-31-2022, 09:11 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by LilJayV10
Wow. Go back to wherever the **** you came from. Anyone that might have helped you probably won't now.
Already have. 😃 Thanks for the help. 👍🏻
Old 02-04-2022, 03:27 PM
TECH Addict

Received 202 Likes on 166 Posts

Yeah just because your frustrated that your truck is broke, and your not getting a response as fast as you would like, isn't going to help, but regardless of that here's my opinion:

Obviously you know you should have power on your other O2, and you don't, so find out why.

Your O2's aren't swinging, because it's dead rich. They only swing, rich/lean. Your not getting anything but rich, so how are they going to swing? So, you could have shorted out something in the ecm when the wires rubbed through, you could have a stuck injector, or maybe your fuel pressure is jacked.

Take a breath, step back and think through the process. AutoZone has a noid light, you can plug in and make sure the ecm is pulsing the injector signal to start. Make sure you hear the injectors clicking on/off.

Check your map. Key on engine off, then key on engine running.
G Atsma (02-04-2022)

Quick Reply: Open-loop due to system failure