PCM Diagnostics & Tuning HP Tuners | Holley | Diablo
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Holley Terminator X goes way rich on startup, hot or cold

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-2023, 02:29 PM
TECH Resident

Received 155 Likes on 124 Posts

If you suspect a bad o2 sensor which could be the case since Terminator X can only use one type of crappy sensor there's a very good video by Joe Simpson of Tempest Racing that goes thru all the checks for a bad o2
Old 06-16-2023, 09:20 PM
11 Second Club

Received 289 Likes on 190 Posts

Originally Posted by minytrker
I just quickly looked at it, here are a couple things:
I'd raise base fuel psi to 50 psi ( seems to work better on those injectors IMO)
VE table is not super smooth right off idle
Turn off Lean and use CL to get it dialed in
Log and Tune file need to match for someone to help
You want slow throttle movements to try to get the best data you can
Thanks for taking a peek.
I mainly took that log above to show how it acts on startup.
I believe at least a portion of why my fueling is out of whack is because it was evidently "learning" with DFCO active. I never used that feature with HPTuners, but wanted to try it. Its since been turned off. I honestly havent done a whole lot of slow throttle driving to allow any accurate tuning. The startup richness was starting to aggravate me and doesn't make sense to me why its happening.

Not sure what you mean by Tune and Log file have to match? After driving it, I thought I saved the most current tune and datalog

Thanks for the tips. I appreciate it.
Old 06-16-2023, 09:26 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by wlink14
What temperature does your closed loop and open loop come active at? It should be AFTER all of your temperature and startup enrichment is done, say 140ish degrees.
Have your tried reducing the startup enrichment percentage as seen below?
These values seem to work great for my 6.0, with 50lb injectors whether I am on E or pump gasoline.

A quick way to see if it is in fact the O2 sensor heating element or not would be to start the car cold for 20 seconds, shut it down, and then immediately crank it up again. The element should be heated by that point. But your O2 should not be enabled for startup anyway. Closed loop will fight with your temperature enrichment.
On the tune I attached, it shows my current afterstart settings, which are much lower than yours. I have 210lb injectors, FWIW.
I have closed loop active on startup, and learn is active only after 5% tps.
in the log attached above, I let car set, with key on for 30+ seconds, before starting. I would think that also heated up the O2 sensor adequately?

Thanks for reply.

Old 06-16-2023, 09:38 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by QwkTrip
Idle tuning is the bedrock that cold start is built on. First you need to refine your idle and off idle zones very well with engine at full operating temp. After that you can fine tune the startup enrichments.

Idle is one of the most difficult things to tune. Expect to spend time at it.
Yeah, I'll admit I havent had time for any real amount of drive time to get quality data and tuning done. That will have to change. Working 6 days a week, sucks. Thanks for the reply.

Originally Posted by 91 Z28
If you suspect a bad o2 sensor which could be the case since Terminator X can only use one type of crappy sensor there's a very good video by Joe Simpson of Tempest Racing that goes thru all the checks for a bad o2
Thanks.
I've had a wideband on this car for 5 years now. AEM wideband uses same sensor as Holley terminator does. Current sensor for the Holley, is brand new. Bosch 17025. My wideband's sensor was still reading same as the brand new one connected to Holley, and is almost 3 years old.
FWIW, for last 3+ years, car runs on nothing but pump E85, lately testing at 70-73% ethanol.
Old 06-17-2023, 12:38 PM
TECH Addict

Received 202 Likes on 166 Posts

I'm not going out on a limb and saying this is gospel, but even leaving the key in the on position to let the O2 warm up, I don't think matters, because as soon as you start it, I believe it recycles the count down on the O2.
I know HP Tuners does that, as I have been down that road.

I don't enable closed loop until 160. Once you have the tune dialed in, you can turn back on DFCO if you want. Kinda personal preference.
Old 06-17-2023, 02:41 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by rpturbo
I'm not going out on a limb and saying this is gospel, but even leaving the key in the on position to let the O2 warm up, I don't think matters, because as soon as you start it, I believe it recycles the count down on the O2.
I know HP Tuners does that, as I have been down that road.

I don't enable closed loop until 160. Once you have the tune dialed in, you can turn back on DFCO if you want. Kinda personal preference.
Closed loop in Holley EFI starts right away after the o2 heating cycle even when the engine is cold, it's the learn that doesn't start until coolant temp is at 160*F
Old 07-21-2023, 02:30 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 46 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by rel3rd
I've had a wideband on this car for 5 years now. AEM wideband uses same sensor as Holley terminator does. Current sensor for the Holley, is brand new. Bosch 17025. My wideband's sensor was still reading same as the brand new one connected to Holley, and is almost 3 years old.
FWIW, for last 3+ years, car runs on nothing but pump E85, lately testing at 70-73% ethanol.
Decided to bump this back up.. I've been having a similar issue with mine staying at 9.55 afr for the first 60 secs or so after startup hot or cold. I know it's the ecu not reading the sensor for whatever reason, if I let it sit with the ignition on for a while it will start showing 35.4 afr. I also have replaced the factory holley o2 sensor with a bosch 17025 due to oil contamination, forgot to turn on scavenge pump. The problem seemed to get worse after this but I'm not sure. Cold start is easy I just raised the closed loop temp. But if I start it warm the closed loop will start pulling fuel out to get it off 9.55 afr, then it starts reading and it's lean, one of those vicious cycles. I also found a couple threads about this on the holley forum but they just said to contact support.

I'm trying to figure out an advanced table to stop closed loop for a minute, but I'm already using all my 1d and 2d tables so I'll have to use a per gear table or move a table to a per gear table. You find a solution to your issue rel3rd?
Old 07-21-2023, 04:36 PM
11 Second Club

No, unfortunately, I didn't. Everything that I have read or heard, to try, hasn't had any effect at all.
What's really weird is that with no normal pattern or whatever, sometimes it will start and idle "normal" with no 9.55 afr. I've moved the Closed Loop and Learning all over the place, with no luck.

If you somehow stumble on a solution, please let me know, and I will do the same.

Mine's also "injured" at the moment...as in, I am 99% sure it lifted a head and comprised a head gasket. At anything more than 10# of boost, it pressurized the cooling system, belches some coolant out, then overheats. My caveman HPTuners tuning must have been better than I thought...lol.
Old 07-21-2023, 08:36 PM
TECH Enthusiast

If I can get it so the closed loop won't try to correct until it starts reading correct I'll be fine with it. But on a warm restart it tries to correct by pulling all the fuel out until it dies. I made an advance table I think will work for me but haven't been able to test it. If it works ill post some pics of it
The following users liked this post:
rel3rd (07-22-2023)
Old 07-21-2023, 08:45 PM
TECH Enthusiast

When I put the rod and piston 6.0 in my truck that I sold it pushed the gasket out around #1 on the first rip on 8 psi. Freshly decked block and heads with the $800 ca625 head studs. My fuel tank was full of water lol, thankfully it only cost me a ls9 gasket
Old 07-21-2023, 09:01 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by Lsxford
If I can get it so the closed loop won't try to correct until it starts reading correct I'll be fine with it. But on a warm restart it tries to correct by pulling all the fuel out until it dies. I made an advance table I think will work for me but haven't been able to test it. If it works ill post some pics of it
Your tune is way off if that's what your doing on a warm restart
Old 07-21-2023, 10:53 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by 91 Z28
Your tune is way off if that's what your doing on a warm restart
The tune is fine, it doesn't have a problem once the sensor starts reading. For about 60 secs the o2 shows 9.55 afr, so the ecu starts pulling all the fuel out trying to correct for an incorrect reading. Also like I said previously if I let it sit with the ignition on for about a minute then start it the o2 reads perfect. It's like it takes too long for the sensor to warm up. But 3 different sensors and it's the same story.
Old 07-23-2023, 10:21 PM
9 Second Club

Received 239 Likes on 178 Posts

Advanced table and put in a delay for the O2 sensor for 60 seconds.
The following users liked this post:
rel3rd (07-24-2023)
Old 07-24-2023, 11:38 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Same problem…

Originally Posted by rel3rd
No, unfortunately, I didn't. Everything that I have read or heard, to try, hasn't had any effect at all.
What's really weird is that with no normal pattern or whatever, sometimes it will start and idle "normal" with no 9.55 afr. I've moved the Closed Loop and Learning all over the place, with no luck.

If you somehow stumble on a solution, please let me know, and I will do the same.

Mine's also "injured" at the moment...as in, I am 99% sure it lifted a head and comprised a head gasket. At anything more than 10# of boost, it pressurized the cooling system, belches some coolant out, then overheats. My caveman HPTuners tuning must have been better than I thought...lol.
I have also had this issue my entire terminator ownership… ive tried everything i can think of, no solution, ill lyk if i ever figure it out 😂.
Old 07-24-2023, 01:00 PM
11 Second Club

Will try that ASAP and report back.
Old 07-26-2023, 05:43 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I can't get mine to operate based on time, it just stays in open loop. So I have an advanced table that disables closed loop, it comes on if the o2 sensor is reading below 9.6 afr. It only reads that low when it's in its warm up period, and should never be close to that normally. I can post pics if needed, it seems to work good. Then the past few days the sensor has warmed up with in seconds.

Edit I'd like to add the sensor will still read 9.55 even with this table until the sensor heats up. But the ecu wont try to correct the afr until the sensor is heated up and working

Last edited by Lsxford; 07-26-2023 at 05:49 PM.
Old 08-15-2023, 06:44 AM
Teching In

Default Did you find a cure?

I’m experiencing the exact same problem. I am working with a very well respected remote tuner. He thought bad injector/injectors…. Had them flowed and cleaned, ended up needing 1 new one. Thought for sure I found the problem….. nope. I am noticing condensation from exhaust…. Possible killed O2? My previous experience with bad O2’s was pegged lean…35.5. I’m pulling the last few hairs out that I have left.
Old 08-15-2023, 08:25 AM
TECH Resident

Received 364 Likes on 267 Posts

During a search for reasons behind premature sensor failure, I came across a statement that read...
Waiting for the sensor to heat up before starting the engine can/will hit the hot sensor with a stream of cold condensate.
This can shorten the life of and/or affect the sensor accuracy.
Yes/no??
Old 08-20-2023, 10:37 AM
Teching In

can you explain deeper. I’m looking in advance tables. I don’t see delay for O2
Old 08-20-2023, 10:50 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Lsxford
I can't get mine to operate based on time, it just stays in open loop. So I have an advanced table that disables closed loop, it comes on if the o2 sensor is reading below 9.6 afr. It only reads that low when it's in its warm up period, and should never be close to that normally. I can post pics if needed, it seems to work good. Then the past few days the sensor has warmed up with in seconds.

Edit I'd like to add the sensor will still read 9.55 even with this table until the sensor heats up. But the ecu wont try to correct the afr until the sensor is heated up and working
can you please post pics or even email me at blazeracing@sbcglobal.net

Quick Reply: Holley Terminator X goes way rich on startup, hot or cold