Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Going heavy lean under boost

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-2023, 09:23 PM
Teching In

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Question Going heavy lean under boost

Hey everybody I am new to the forum but have referenced tons of info off here over the past year. Sadly I cannot find anything relating to what I'm currently fighting. I've got a LM7 with a single turbo and have about 3-4k miles on the setup everything was running amazing till I nuked the little 4l60e. I swapped to a 4l80e and its been great for a bit until one day my engine blew up while doing a little bit of tuning. my wideband went lean and I stayed in it and BAM engine is toast, cracked the top of piston on cylinder 8. so I swapped another LM7 into it running the exact same tune and its like the second my truck hits any boost I hit a wall and the wideband pegs lean and the truck falls on its face. I have ruled out fuel supply pressure to be an issue. I am using stock truck intake and rails with boost reference FPR. I've hooked up my fuel pressure gauge to the rails and watched the PSI while driving, normally seeing 57-58psi and as I get closer to boost fuel pressure slightly increases to 60-65psi by the time I start seeing boost, I cannot stay in it for much longer as the engine is running so lean I don't want to risk blowing another engine. I was running decapped stock injectors for the longest time and my fear was that they where starting to fail, instead of testing them I decided it was finally time to get some nice injectors. I bought some super expensive 1000cc injectors that came with a flash drive to adjust injector data in HP Tuners, very convenient, after the injector swap the truck runs a whole smoother but I'm still hitting a wall under boost. I've tried adding fuel in the VE tables but the truck just wont take it, continues to peg the wideband lean right when I hit boost. I've gone through everything I can think of to correct this issue and I'm lost now. for some reason I feel like my stock PCM is glitched or something considering I didn't change a thing, went from burnouts and redline everywhere to it just blowing up. I'm going to the junkyard tomorrow to find another PCM and license that computer and see if I can start adjusting fuel again. any info would be greatly appreciated, Id really like to save the money and not have to go through a whole new PCM and id like to keep my VIN# in the PCM the same as the truck. Thank you again in advance. I've attached the log file of when the engine blew up maybe you guys can see something I don't.
Attached Files
File Type: hpl
engine blows up 08-05-2023.hpl (398.5 KB, 17 views)
File Type: hpt
09-15-2023 SD tuning.hpt (256.9 KB, 14 views)
Old 09-17-2023, 02:36 PM
Teching In

Could not find another PCM at the junkyard today, I will continue to check the inventory online as the weeks go on in hunt of a new PCM. Going to go back over my tune and see if I cant find any differences between when I had the 4l60 to the 4l80. I'm wondering if something internally in the software that HP Tuners doesn't show me as a parameter is the underlying cause to making it go lean when the boost hits with the software changes in a 4l80 segment swap and the custom OS.
Old 09-17-2023, 03:03 PM
TECH Addict

Received 202 Likes on 166 Posts

So, have you made a hit, shut it off and pulled a plug? Verify the plug shows lean first. How old is the wideband sensor? Replace. Lots of those show lean when they degrade. Have you smoked the exhaust fittings for cracks/leaks?
If the VE table is the same one that worked well, you either have a false lean shown by the wideband, or a failing fuel issue. I don't remember if you mentioned the method your logging the fuel pressure, but I would also double check that.
And you have verified that the map is reading actual boost?
The following users liked this post:
Old Buzzard (09-18-2023)
Old 09-17-2023, 04:33 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 898 Likes on 640 Posts

What is your fuel pressure when it is going lean?

Have you checked your fuel filter?

What are the narrowbands showing when the WB is going lean?

Old 09-17-2023, 04:37 PM
TECH Senior Member

In that log the WB was telling truth, you can tell by how the narrow bands went dead *** lean.

If you are adding a bunch of fuel to the VE and it's not getting richer and you have new injectors, your pump or FPR is junk, fuel filter clogged or an obstruction in the line.
Old 09-17-2023, 04:42 PM
TECH Senior Member

Also, in that log is doesn't look like the MAF is failed.

and 32 degrees of timing at 150kpa is ******* ridiculous, I don't care if is on E85

It was going to blow up regardless.
Old 09-17-2023, 05:24 PM
TECH Senior Member

Also, the VE table...........I have no words

Old Buzzard (09-18-2023)
Old 09-18-2023, 11:18 AM
7 Second Club

Received 303 Likes on 203 Posts

Yeah the VE table is a disaster as it's WAY under-reporting airflow for a boosted application along with timing that is sky high, but the part that I think really fucked you was that you are trying to tune it in speed density by manually failing the MAF with the P0103 fail frequency high set to 1 but you have the P0103 code completely disabled in your tune by setting it to no error reported. The PCM had no idea what was going on by the looks of it and was in some weird state... 100% error either way with the person behind the laptop.
Old Buzzard (09-18-2023)
Old 09-18-2023, 09:41 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

ummm well for one this is garbage,, theres no way im going wot if i dont even have partial dialed in. you have to get dialed in.
Old 09-18-2023, 10:15 PM
TECH Enthusiast

also im guessing your FPR is boost referenced. if so your injector data is setup incorrectly.
Old 09-19-2023, 01:06 AM
TECH Regular

Received 155 Likes on 114 Posts

That VE table looks like it was drawn by Frankie, the Extreeeeme Weather Alert guy.
hamnsteroo7 (09-19-2023)
Old 09-19-2023, 02:44 PM
TECH Senior Member

OP,
Start over with a stock tune with proper injector data. By the way the tune looks, you need to do a bunch of reading, watching YT videos on how to tune.

It's good to hear you got rid of the decapped injectors(garbage IMO). If you don't mind me asking what injectors did you end up going with?

Old 09-19-2023, 04:00 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by LilJayV10
OP,
Start over with a stock tune with proper injector data. By the way the tune looks, you need to do a bunch of reading, watching YT videos on how to tune.

It's good to hear you got rid of the decapped injectors(garbage IMO). If you don't mind me asking what injectors did you end up going with?
After reading all of your guy's input. which I greatly appreciate! Turns out I'm just an idiot. I'm going to just start fresh with a stock file from the Tune Repository on HP Tuners and start with changing the injector data. All of my tuning skills have been taught from Goat Rope Garage on YouTube. and have followed his steps for the most part

I went to the junkyard today and spent $200 on a bunch of BS I guess I didn't need like, new electric throttle body, TAC module, wiring, and PCM. I'm going to start fresh with a new file on my current setup and only change the injector data and get a base line fuel for boost. As far as tuning in speed density how else would I fail the MAF without setting my High RPM Disable threshold in steady state to 12000 rpm? as far as I know that's the only way to fail the MAF. Ill look into more about failing the MAF before I start tuning my new file. The only way I know how to tune is by driving the truck with my wideband readings feeding a histogram that I've set up so can copy and paste "Multiply by % half" straight into the VE table.

The injectors I'm running currently are Fuel Injection Connection 1000cc EV6 injectors. my buddy with a c6 vette recommended these injectors as he uses them and goes to the track all the time, so I figured they must solid enough for my truck if he is running them on his vette.

I'm going to start with my file adjusting right now. The truck is basically undrivable unless at WOT so I will know immediately if any improvements have been made. Ill update as soon as I get a fresh file loaded into the PCM. I knew my tune sucked but hearing all the comments made from you guys really solidified it that I messed up big time. ill be sure to drop my timing tables significantly I swear I had the tables fairly safe but from what you guys are saying I tuned it to blow up. Ill post updated logs as soon as I get them running in the truck.

Last edited by hamnsteroo7; 09-19-2023 at 04:20 PM.
Old 09-19-2023, 04:32 PM
TECH Senior Member

This is how I disable the MAF and force SD.

engine>airflow>general
For the MAF table, I zero out everything above 2500hz

engine>airflow>dynamic
High rpm disable: 8,000
High rpm hyst: 7,999

engine diag>airflow
MAF frequency fail high: 100

engine diag>DTCs
P0101: MIL on first error
P0102: MIL on first error
P0103: MIL on first error

Leave the SES box unchecked. This way when it fails the MAF, you won't get a SES light. If you check the box, the light will always be on, so if you have an issue and it throws another DTC, you aren't going to know it.
After you start it, go to the scanner and check for DTC's. If it's failed the MAF, you will get at least one of those codes. If you do, it's in SD.

Shoot me a PM.

Old 09-19-2023, 04:33 PM
TECH Enthusiast

do you have a boost reference regulator ?

you can compare this file, to what you have, it might be a good starting point BUT i did not mess with the fuel injector data. I dont mind helping but you have to be willing to learn and ask questions.
Attached Files
File Type: hpt
SD tuning 1.0 revise.hpt (262.3 KB, 9 views)
Old 09-19-2023, 05:55 PM
Teching In

I've been trying to make an attempt at starting with a new file but would there be anyway to fix my file the way it is? I've got so many adjustments made to compensate for my DBC conversion, electric fan swap, 4l80 conversion, custom OS for 2 bar. just finding a new starting point has been a huge struggle. been looking for 2 hours to make a change and have made 0 progress. I'm going to need more time to get a fresh start was hoping to do this quickly while I have your guys help but I will need another day to start from scratch so I don't accidently brick my pcm.
LilJ I made the changes you suggested in the VCM but did not get any codes on the scanner, I double checked I followed your steps correctly and everything looked good so I'm not sure what else I could do to ensure SD is in effect.

Originally Posted by txh0tb0i972

you can compare this file, to what you have, it might be a good starting point BUT i did not mess with the fuel injector data. I dont mind helping but you have to be willing to learn and ask questions.
I do have a boost reference regulator and I've got a spare from the junkyard ready to go as well if need be. I've verified fuel pressure while driving it climbs as the pressure in the manifold builds.
I looked over the file and it looks like you've adjusted the VE table to be smoother as well as the timing tables where dropped to 10* in the higher rpm. I also noticed you've set the MAF fail frequency to 0hz and changed the p0101, p0102, and p0103 to MIL on first error with the SES boxed unchecked like LilJ suggested. tempted to load this file and see if I get the DTC in the scanner.
Old 09-19-2023, 06:05 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by txh0tb0i972

you can compare this file, to what you have, it might be a good starting point BUT i did not mess with the fuel injector data. I don't mind helping but you have to be willing to learn and ask questions.
I've loaded that file and now I've got the P0103 code. the truck is running much more poorly now with the fueling changes in the VE table I'm guessing.
what do you suspect to be an issue with the injector data you where talking about the boost reference fuel pressure regulator?? very interested in what you are looking at to determine that being wrong?
Old 09-19-2023, 06:09 PM
TECH Enthusiast

if it is boost referenced then yes its going to need fuel data changed.
Old 09-19-2023, 06:13 PM
Teching In

what is wrong with the fuel data?
Old 09-19-2023, 06:19 PM
TECH Enthusiast

im trying to get a good read for you so you can understand, then i would prefer you to set it up, then post it. Im sure you will get the help you need but you have to try.

Quick Reply: Going heavy lean under boost