PCM Diagnostics & Tuning HP Tuners | Holley | Diablo

1st No Prep test/1st pass with Holley Terminator XMax issues

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-2023 | 09:10 AM
11 Second Club
10 Year Member

Default 1st No Prep test/1st pass with Holley Terminator XMax issues

My son runs some local no prep races in his LS/Turbo Foxbody Mustang and asked if I wanted to tag along to watch him and our buddy test.
Couldn't take the pressure of watching LOL, but car hasn't made a pass in almost a year due to other things (head gasket).
That being said, I was l very limited on power I could use, so put a 10#/3# launch tune in the Holley Terminator X Max. Also, forgot to open the cutout, but quick ET wasn't the goal anyway. Dragy said 1.66 sixty foot, 7.03 @ 101 letting off right at or just shy of the 1/8th, and 11.
84@60mph in the 1/4, lol. FWIW, it's been 5's just shy of 120 at the strip...

With everything suspension-wise set for street cruising, I never expected it would make a decent pass, or even hook, but gave it a shot.

Anyway, with Jakes D3 4L80E, and transbrake used in DRIVE, with the HPTUNERS I always had transmission upshifts set with a good amount of "lead time".
1>2 shift at 6400-ish, needed WOT Shift set at 5700,
2>3 shift at 6400-ish set at 5900.

Setup the X Max with the same lead time, which worked fine in the 1-2 shift, but datalog showed car going (commanded) into 3rd gear, then 2nd, back to 3rd, etc.

My shift extension on 1-2 shift, is roughly from 6500 to 5800, so my thinking is that Holley saw it above the 5700, when it shifted into 2nd, and thought it was time to shift into 3rd? Then the 3-2 downshift took over and got it confused.

Does that sound feasible?

Manually shifting, it upshifts as I manually command it, but as said, I haven't been to track with Holley, and car just spins on street, normally, so have never "tested" the WOT upshifts before.

Attached video you can hear the RPM going up and down after the 1-2 shift.

I will try to attach a datalog later, if that's even possible, but it shows what I describe.

I did change the 2-3 WOT upshift to 6100, so it shouldnt ever get confused again, if that was the issue. My only other thought is to turn off auto shifting and manually shift it, but then I lose my transbrake function as it only works in Drive (Rossler T/B fwiw)

https://youtu.be/9sFj_Muy1zI?si=wC0gPNKatS9NWhFC

Last edited by rel3rd; 09-20-2023 at 10:54 AM.
Old 09-20-2023 | 04:42 PM
9 Second Club
20 Year Member

sounds like your mph tables arent setup correctly
Old 09-23-2023 | 08:22 AM
TECH Resident
15 Year Member

Useful???
4L80E shifting from 3rd to 1st at WOT. - Holley Performance Products Forums
Old 09-23-2023 | 11:48 AM
11 Second Club
10 Year Member

I attempted to attach a datalog, but no idea if it worked.

I also attached pics (screen shots) of the upshift settings.
The HOLLEY settings were done using "Green Shorts Performance" recommendations, and aside from last weekend, had never been tested at WOT before.

The HPTUNERS settings were done using Bluecat software, and had worked flawlessly for the last few years.

I've changed the Holley settings to match the old HPTuners that I have always used, so will report back when I am able to test it again. Raining all this weekend, unfortunately

Apologies for crappy quality screenshots.

Last edited by rel3rd; 10-05-2023 at 03:15 PM.
Old 09-23-2023 | 11:57 AM
11 Second Club
10 Year Member

Originally Posted by minytrker
sounds like your mph tables arent setup correctly
Very possible since I modified them as per a "pro" recommendation instead of what I tweaked that had worked for me with HPTuners. The GSP settings were way off from what I had always used, but he had also said that Holley used RPM ONLY for WOT upshifts, which is contradicted by multiple posts in the link Old Buzzard provided, and seems to be also contradicted by your suggestion of MPH tables being wrong...assuming I am understanding your reply as intended?

Old 09-27-2023 | 04:22 PM
11 Second Club
10 Year Member

Question

Just curious...

I run Terminator X Max (using the transmission control for my 4L80E)
I have factory ECU still in play, to retain (most of) my gauges, fuel pumps, etc...
I split the oil pressure and crank position sensor connections to do that.
Stock trans harness plug was unplugged to be able to use Holley transmission harness
I used HPTuners to "turn off" everything that set a CEL.
I didn't turn anything "off" that was transmission related though.

Could there be some sort of weird mix-up/confusion between the Holley and factory ECUs?
Something or some things that still need to be turned off/disabled?

Old 09-27-2023 | 05:00 PM
TECH Resident
15 Year Member

Post the tune.
Has to be zipped.
Old 09-29-2023 | 05:00 PM
11 Second Club
10 Year Member

"GSP TRANS" is what I had in the car for the test passes...

"TEST TRANS SETTINGS" is current modified tune, as I tried to mimic the HPTuners settings best I could

HPTuners "CODES TURNED OFF" attachment is "current" tune in factory ecu

Last edited by rel3rd; 09-29-2023 at 05:29 PM.
Old 10-03-2023 | 07:26 PM
11 Second Club
10 Year Member

Anyone?
Old 10-04-2023 | 01:20 PM
7 Second Club
20 Year Member

The datalog posted doesn't show a pass at all, looks like mostly idling and holding the throttle open a few percent. I could imagine though that if it shifted at WOT according to the RPM but MPH was lower than the downshift speed at 100% TPS it would command a downshift, then upshift again at the next set RPM WOT upshift setting.
Old 10-04-2023 | 01:29 PM
11 Second Club
10 Year Member

Originally Posted by NicD
The datalog posted doesn't show a pass at all, looks like mostly idling and holding the throttle open a few percent. I could imagine though that if it shifted at WOT according to the RPM but MPH was lower than the downshift speed at 100% TPS it would command a downshift, then upshift again at the next set RPM WOT upshift setting.
Crap!
Ill try again to zip and attach one of the 2 actual runs.
Old 10-05-2023 | 03:18 PM
11 Second Club
10 Year Member

Unhappy

Damn sure wishing I kept HPTuners right this minute, lol.

Takes 1 minute to download an HPT tune, 10 seconds to attach it here...instead this old *** is beating his brains out trying to figure out how to not only grab the right datalog, but zip it as well.

I hope it worked this time...
Old 10-05-2023 | 04:44 PM
7 Second Club
20 Year Member

And which tune was loaded for this log?

Just glancing at it really quick it looks like right after the 1-2 shift it almost immediately goes for the 2-3 (probably saw too low of an RPM WOT shift specified), then it looks like it spins bad and when the tire speed settles down it tries to downshift back into 2nd probably based on the MPH table, and then immediately back up into 3rd probably due to the RPM table. I would personally push the RPM way up as a last resort type of thing and try to use the MPH tables only, but just be aware that loose converters and tire spin will make for some interesting **** in a shift schedule. I mean at one point it went from 85 mph back down to 70 mph and you were still WOT.
Old 10-05-2023 | 05:08 PM
11 Second Club
10 Year Member

Originally Posted by NicD
And which tune was loaded for this log?

Just glancing at it really quick it looks like right after the 1-2 shift it almost immediately goes for the 2-3 (probably saw too low of an RPM WOT shift specified), then it looks like it spins bad and when the tire speed settles down it tries to downshift back into 2nd probably based on the MPH table, and then immediately back up into 3rd probably due to the RPM table. I would personally push the RPM way up as a last resort type of thing and try to use the MPH tables only, but just be aware that loose converters and tire spin will make for some interesting **** in a shift schedule. I mean at one point it went from 85 mph back down to 70 mph and you were still WOT.
Sorry. It was the 1st tune above. The one with GSP (Aaron White) trans aettings.
But, yes, it did some very weird, never before stuff. The car was turned down a lot from where I usually run it, but did indeed spin at one point after 1st gear. In the video it sounds like it goes up and down in RPM 4 times total.
I hurt my back at work so haven't really been able to climb in there and retest. I'll probably get my son to drive it and datalog it with the "old" HPTuner mimic'd trans settings. I'll also make a tune as you suggest, and try that as well.

I appreciate you stopping back to reply. I actually follow you on YouTube. Thanks!
Old 10-05-2023 | 05:57 PM
9 Second Club
20 Year Member

Try these transmission shift points...it should shift
Attached Files
Old 10-07-2023 | 12:46 PM
11 Second Club
10 Year Member

Originally Posted by minytrker
Try these transmission shift points...it should shift
I will hopefully try this tomorrow.
I had to download a copy of winrar to allow me to extract and save the file to Holley.

Quick Reply: 1st No Prep test/1st pass with Holley Terminator XMax issues