Accel Gen 7 Users Inside!

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-2004, 09:06 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Gen 7

Originally Posted by jessterss383
Candy and all accel users
Are you running sequential or staggard batch? When i run sequential, it breaks up worse. When using staggard batch, its not as bad. I was wondering if the labels on the injector harness are correct? Also when reloading new global cal, the last box in the timing matrix will change itself to 0.00 Has anyone experiened this glitch? thanks for letting us know about this problem.
Jessterss383
You should contact Craig @ Accel tech line (248-380-2780) to make him aware of your situtation, He may give you some helpful information, but if nothing else at least they will be alerted of another issue.
Did you do your own install or have an EMIC dealer do it?
Have you contacted anyone associated with Accel about your problems?
I have been told that some systems with problems like ours have been corrected by switching from sequential to staggered batch.
The strange thing about this is i have also been told that the DFI system will ignore the cam sensor signal over 3000 rpm (staggered batch does not require cam sensor input) This seems like two contrasting statements to me,but i'm no electrical engineer either.
Good luck!
Buster
Old 07-30-2004, 10:26 AM
LS1Tech Co-Founder

Received 1,142 Likes on 742 Posts

Hmmm one of these days I should try taking my lil hydraulic motor up to 7400 and see how the ignition does. Allen remember how you were talking smack about how the Gen7 was going in Gordon's car? I guess my FAST is not so bad after all. (I am running an FMS cam and still consider Allen a friend even if he is not running a FAST).
Old 07-30-2004, 11:37 AM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Pro Stock John
Hmmm one of these days I should try taking my lil hydraulic motor up to 7400 and see how the ignition does. Allen remember how you were talking smack about how the Gen7 was going in Gordon's car? I guess my FAST is not so bad after all. (I am running an FMS cam and still consider Allen a friend even if he is not running a FAST).
Go ahead...you can't even beat a FS car with a STOCK PCM and your FAST will prob be fine. At the time,my customer and I decided on the Accel since it all hooked up to the factory sensor,while the FAST needed an EDIS box and crank trigger.

I never could seem to tell any difference between staggered or seq. mode
Old 07-30-2004, 12:01 PM
9 Second Club

nope never heard of him ..John meany I have heard of however...Dale may very well be a good tuner but dont discount their may be others just as good.. didnt know he was the 3rd largest dealer for dfi...wouldnt happen know who the top other two are would ya?

Alan dont let John get to ya just yet..gimme a call I got a idea what might be going on..
Old 07-30-2004, 10:01 PM
TECH Regular

The Gen 7 is going into my car as soon as it gets back from Sikora. The FMIC came in as well. This never ending project should be wrapping up in 2-3 weeks. Now placing bets on the Final #s

My car wont rev much above 6400-6500 rpm's So I dont think Ill have a problem.

Originally Posted by Pro Stock John

Last edited by Evil Turbo SS; 07-30-2004 at 10:10 PM.
Old 07-31-2004, 12:34 AM
9 Second Club

Originally Posted by JS
Yea I know the other 2,do u
Selling a component and tuning it are COMPLETELY different Joe...
Dales the best,U can bank on it...
Actually JS I'm not here to bicker on whos a better tuner or dfi seller for that matter..But if you didnt know I tuned my own car and must be doing something right to be running the matching numbers oem block that came in this chassis in 94', had one of the first splice in from Mac(yes he knows who I am,my car use to be on his site) for the gen6and gen7 for lt1,and gen7 for ls1 had one of the first gen7 lt1 systems,beta test the ls1 system,and even testing a newer ecm and software as I speak...If thats not enuff I do R&D on the lt1 and ls1 cam line and valve train for Crane...so Dale is a good tuner KUDO's I posted here to help since I am a EMIC also,surely wasnt to measure who has the longer johnson... I was only offering help and try to rectify thier problems...Please by all means since hes such a large dealer for accel ,tell him to post up or was you meaning all along dfi as in f.a.s.t. dealer,because thats what it seems your pushing here?????? Whats Dale running lately just curious??

sorry for getting off topic...

Last edited by Joe Overton; 07-31-2004 at 12:39 AM.
Old 08-01-2004, 05:29 AM
Staging Lane

Default Gen 7

Originally Posted by Candy
Looking for some LS1 type Gen III setups out there that are using the Accel Gen 7 DFI system and are turning 7500+ rpm. If you are doing this or trying to do this please post some feedback.

Thanks!
Candy & Alan,
All the mechanical work is done, Now we have to wire in the E-Dist box and reconfigure the software set-up.
Wer'e heading up tp Pocono for the cup race today, Hopefully be done on Tues. then we'll see how this puppy works. We'll let you know!
Buster
Old 08-01-2004, 09:01 AM
On The Tree

so,we are having issues with the gen 7 at over 7000?thats just great.good job accell.i have a idea for accell,how about an instruction book for the kit?that would be a good start.but wait,that would mean that someone would have to know how to type!maybe thats whats taking them so long.good help is hard to find. i think i will just stop my rebuild untill this mess gets figured out.the cam i just had installed goes to 8000!another season shot to hell.
Old 08-01-2004, 09:35 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 45 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by BRracing
Like he said:
I have spoken to Craig at least a dozen times, he has never mentioned anything about using the truck coils to me, although the symtoms don't really match my situation, the engine has to rev to 7800, but it actually turns off momentarily, then comes back, drops out again & again & again,etc.
It does not missfire, it shuts off.
I have data logged this with the Gen 7 & with my Racepak data aquisition system, the tach signal actually disappears when this happens.
Personally i am sick & tired of doing R&D for Accel,
I will figure this out but its going to get a Fast E-dist to fix it.
Thanks for your input, God knows i could use it!
Buster

my car does the exact same thing as above, but ONLY when i have the stock tach wired back up spliced into the dfi harness to the cam and crank sensors... when i unhook it again it goes away.. so i have left it unhooked for now. i'd love to hear the root of it... i was eventually planning on trying 2 new sensors, soldering the connections and shielding the wires but i think i am reading here that that does not help
Old 08-02-2004, 09:03 PM
FormerVendor

Like I said before this thread is not intended to be used to bash the Gen 7 system, we are receiving lots of assistance from Craig at Accel and Joe has been so helpful helping us troubleshoot things. No thread hi-jacking please
Old 08-04-2004, 02:37 PM
Staging Lane

Default Gen 7

Originally Posted by MIGHTYMOUSE
my car does the exact same thing as above, but ONLY when i have the stock tach wired back up spliced into the dfi harness to the cam and crank sensors... when i unhook it again it goes away.. so i have left it unhooked for now. i'd love to hear the root of it... i was eventually planning on trying 2 new sensors, soldering the connections and shielding the wires but i think i am reading here that that does not help
M.Mouse,
Your tach should be wired to pin 16 @ the ign.control box (spliced)
This is the tach output.
Buster
Old 08-04-2004, 04:28 PM
TECH Senior Member

brracing. i am talking about my stock tack. i know the exact wire where i can get an aftermarket tach signal but it does not work like that on our cars.. the output from dfi is 8 cylinder and ours fires like a 4 cylinder or something. to that effect but thanks for the help. or do you know this and i am missing something?
Old 08-04-2004, 06:51 PM
Staging Lane

Default Gen 7

brracing. i am talking about my stock tack. i know the exact wire where i can get an aftermarket tach signal but it does not work like that on our cars.. the output from dfi is 8 cylinder and ours fires like a 4 cylinder or something. to that effect but thanks for the help. or do you know this and i am missing something?
Mightymouse,
Sorry, from your post it reads like you were wired into the cam/crank sensors, If you want to retain your stock tach (inaccurate) i'm sure you could reverse engineer a convertor box to double the sig into the factory tach so that it would read properly, maybe Harlan could build one for you
I personally would not use it for racing, seems to have a second or so delay before it comes even close to actual.
If you require any help with the wiring let me know.
Buster
Old 08-04-2004, 08:07 PM
TECH Regular

Whats the deal with the ALDL reading with the piggy back harness?
Old 08-04-2004, 10:19 PM
TECH Senior Member

i dont want a big tach. i have the dfi triggering my shift light so that is what i use for racing.. having the stock tach work would help during the daily commute.
Old 08-05-2004, 05:32 AM
Staging Lane

Default Gen 7

i dont want a big tach. i have the dfi triggering my shift light so that is what i use for racing.. having the stock tach work would help during the daily commute.
I use a shift light also, but i like the tach as backup & the memory function
This thing is huge though, i don't think i would want it in my daily driver either. Does the circuit for the shift light have continuous signal or only at set shift points? Possibly tie in there?
Now i'm curious, i'll see if i have a good scematic of the instrument cluster.
Buster
Old 08-05-2004, 08:03 AM
TECH Senior Member

no, the dfi just gives power on the wire at the set rpm.
Old 08-08-2004, 09:54 PM
TECH Enthusiast

This may be a really stupid question but.... Can/should you run an aftermarket ignition control box like the MSD Digital 7 or 7AL-2 with the Gen 7 or is this unnecessary? Thanks!
Old 08-23-2004, 10:21 PM
TECH Senior Member

this is a new problem of mine

http://home.comcast.net/~deezuns/ignition.WMV

this is not the rev limiter or the two step its just random loss of spark (seems like) at random rpms.. it doenst always do it, but it did it 4 of 5 pulls on the dyno... and seems to do it about 50% of the time on the street.. but has yet to do it at all at the track (fingers crossed) it seems to be getting worse.

i have the dfi log if anyone would like to help out... craig at dfi got sent the log files and the vid link just a few minutes ago
Old 08-24-2004, 10:42 AM
LS1Tech Co-Founder

Received 1,142 Likes on 742 Posts

Does it shut off and then backfire? Maybe you are losing crank reference? If you load out a gear, can u get it to do that, like shut off?

Quick Reply: Accel Gen 7 Users Inside!