Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Accel Gen 7 Users Inside!

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-2004, 08:37 AM
9 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Update for some gen 7 users...

Last night I finally got to take a stock bottom end car to alleviate aftermarket crank and relucter wheel related out of the equation ..car spun to 7400 rpm with no issues not even a hiccup ...This car however is running ac delco wires and I'm beginning to think that the noise in the aftermarket wires may be a cause for some of the problems listed here...Anyway other than that the gen7 performed flawlessly..the post on how this car ran is in the drag racing section ..Hawkin01 is the author..

info on the car:

stock bottom as came from gm 346 ls1
5.3 heads coil packs in stock location and stock delco wires
custom hyd roller
fast intake w/90mm
kooks headers
gen7 dfi
th400/4.11 gear/ 28 " tire
fuel : 93 pump gas

car ran 4 consecutive times without any issues with a best of
10.37@129.9 mph N/A
Old 09-24-2004, 09:24 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 45 Likes on 31 Posts

new gm plug wires has so far solved my ignition probem after having msd and moros wires have problems as of last saturday on the dyno with 787 to the tires
Old 09-24-2004, 11:03 AM
10 Second Club

Joe is correct, the gen 7+ worked flawlessly last night with no problems at all. I am very satisfied with the system.

JS, I know you have been posting about the problems with the Gen 7 system and how it will never work properly. Well I hope this was a good example of how it does work properly.

Mightymouse, I'm glad your problem was as simple as a new set of GM wires. It seems it is always the small things that will bite you in the ***.

TJ
Old 09-24-2004, 11:16 AM
kp
8 Second Club

I have a set of stock coils packs and stock wires to try next time out. I am using MSD 8.5 wires right now and I dont doubt RFI could be causing it. Problem for me is what to do with the relocated coils, I have a solid roller, C5R valve covers and relocated coil packs. I am going to just rig up something with the stock coil brackets to try next time but if it works I dont kow what I will do for a perm fix. I dont mind attaching the stock coil packs to the C5R covers but the stock wires wont be long enough - maybe the truck wires will work..
Old 09-24-2004, 11:25 AM
10 Second Club

KP, hope that fixes your problem. My coils are still in the stock location, with the Hyd. cam in the car I didn't see any reason to move them. I had thought about it but have never been a fan of cut to length wires.

TJ
Old 09-24-2004, 11:36 AM
kp
8 Second Club

I hope the wires will fix it, off to disneyland this weeked for a week so I wont be able to try it for a while. I have so many other issues (manifold distribution, fuel pump) to get straight its great to hear you and MM are doing fine with stock wires, one less thing to worry about I hope

Congrats on the times also Hawkn - car is running great.
Old 09-24-2004, 01:11 PM
LS1Tech Co-Founder

Received 1,142 Likes on 742 Posts

Truck wires are like 2 inches longer.

So is ACCEL working with shops to get this fixed or are kits dusty on the shelf?

If I have a friend with a kit can he return it to ACCEL? I hope folks who bought the kit and plannned to spin their setups to 7500 are not left hanging... technically if you can't spin it up there it's not doing it's job.

ADMIN
Old 09-24-2004, 02:06 PM
9 Second Club

John 7300 7400 and we had NO issues last night... WE could have pulled it further but I only spun it that high as a test to see... stock bottom end car I tested doesnt need to pull that High nor is it safe to do so numerous times...I did it per request and found no issues..
Old 09-24-2004, 02:57 PM
kp
8 Second Club

here are a few log files from last weekend so you can see I'm not imagining this The RPM never went above 7000 when it started breaking up. As you can see on a couple passes it even shuts off the injectors. Rev limiter is set at 7500 and fuel cut it set at 8000rpm. I'm hoping the wires will fix it, find out pretty soon since I cancelled my trip to florida because of the hurricane BS..

Accel has been very helpfull and they want to get it fixed, we'll see what happens sunday with the stock wires..
Old 09-24-2004, 03:03 PM
kp
8 Second Club

Forgot to ask, Joe are you running that car in sequential or staggered batch out of curiousity?
Old 09-24-2004, 04:10 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just to note on the wires issue. I have a good deal of electronics equipment in my 99 Z-28 and I figured I would upgrade to some aftermarket wires. As soon as I started the car I heard engine noise in the system. Not to say that the performance might not be better with the aftermarket wires but when I put the stock GM wires back on and it immediately eliminated the problem. So based on your reports here and my problem as well it seems their may be issues with some brands of aftermarket wires and noise they introduce into our electrical system.
Old 09-24-2004, 04:23 PM
9 Second Club

Originally Posted by kp
Forgot to ask, Joe are you running that car in sequential or staggered batch out of curiousity?
Kp I tuned the car in staggered batch...
Old 09-24-2004, 05:23 PM
kp
8 Second Club

Originally Posted by Joe Overton
Kp I tuned the car in staggered batch...
Thaks Joe, thats what I have been running. I am having some pretty bad variation between cylinders (going by plug color), inside 4 are lean and outside 4 are pig rich so thats probably why the in car wideband is not even close. That may be compounding the ignition problem even more, I am running a WAR intake with a 4 hole 1000cfm TB and may swap over to a 90mm FAST. I'll try trimming the cylinders on the dyno first so all the plugs look close..
Old 09-24-2004, 07:25 PM
TECH Addict

I have the gen7+ and I also have an intermitant problem. The engine breaks up at about 7400 to 7500 rpms every once in awhile. I have Taylor LS1 truck spark plug wires.

You mean to tell me changing to stock GM spark plug wires would iliminate this problem? Or will this just cost me more needless spending.

I just read this post and I never knew there was a problem with the Accel system till now. Why didn't someone tell me.

I guess I'll be calling Accel on monday. I have talked to them before but they never said there was a problem with the system.

The only person I seen prevoiusly post about an Accel Gen7+ problem was JS and I just ignored it.

Sorry JS and thanks.
Old 09-24-2004, 10:42 PM
9 Second Club

JS again the people you listed 2 in particular are going to push BIG STuff they have a hand in it...so ofcourse they are going to tell you how BAD gen7 is...Dale pushes F.a.s.t, and who knows has a grudge against accel..nonethe less as a emic myself. I never seen the issues or heard of them, till I got calls from "2" people whom didnt even buy the system from me...then, and only then did I get involved in trying to help them....Was their a problem I was aware of? NO. And still till this point in time, its unclear if there was one or not or what was causing these few issues... Ecspecially when the 3 main ones here listed, had totally different issues (meaning not identical) I got involved because I wanted to know myself if thier was a problem or not..So I conducted my own independant tests. Just like the one listed above..and still to this point have yet to see this happen with my own eyes..the first three passes on the car above I drove the car personally with the laptop in the car and found nothing wrong above 6800--7000-7200-7400 rpm like was listed here previous...Am I going to question someone's installation of a sponsor on the board or even thier tuning ability? Not on your life!!!! out off all the ls1 systems sold these listed, are isolated very small % of the kits out there thats had whats described as a random misfire or what have you....Is it the system my opinion from what I've personally seen? no..does my opinion account for anything? ..I could care less....I'm just sharing Info I know as fact and independant tests that I've done on the complaints here... I dont do this for a living, engine management is a hobby for me. So selling another kit or even tuning one isnt a bearing on whether my bills get paid or not...So take it for what it is...

Tom, If there was a issue I knew of ,I would have told you..same as when allen called me and buster...best thing to do is call accel and hear it from them..since my word means nothing here.. since my name isnt Dale,John,or Dan..

Last edited by Joe Overton; 09-24-2004 at 11:14 PM.
Old 09-25-2004, 01:28 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 45 Likes on 31 Posts

kp my logs looked like yours and it was the wires. i run sequential
Old 09-25-2004, 07:42 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by Joe Overton

Tom, If there was a issue I knew of ,I would have told you..same as when allen called me and buster...best thing to do is call accel and hear it from them..since my word means nothing here.. since my name isnt Dale,John,or Dan..
Joe, You put a jest smiley up and I find nothing funny about this subject. You didn't answer my question either. So I'll ask again.

You mean to tell me changing to stock GM spark plug wires would iliminate this problem? Or will this just cost me more needless spending.

Thank you
Old 09-25-2004, 07:45 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by MIGHTYMOUSE
thanks for the info. I'm going to try it.
Old 09-25-2004, 08:35 AM
kp
8 Second Club

Originally Posted by MIGHTYMOUSE
It very well could be the wires Dave, problem is I just cant swap a stock set of wires on. I borrowed some stock coil packs/wires and I cant get them on the car with the evacs and C5r valve covers without hacking them so I am stuck until I can find some brackets I can cut up.. I tried making some brackets out of aluminum but its just not working since the wires are just too short.

I may have magnecor build me a set of wires and try that (they are always bragging how they have the least RFI of any wires), or I may just buy some new brackets and cut them up but no matter what I do it will be a huge hassle changing plugs with where I will have to mount the coils for them to reach with stock wires..
Old 09-25-2004, 09:28 AM
9 Second Club

Tom like I said call accel...the jest at the end was in response to the names I listed " since my name isnt Dale,John,or Dan.. " not towards the issues brought up..don't read into things so much..I'm sure you can find some delco wires to try...but from your response it must not be that big a issue or you would have questioned it already to whomever installed or tuned your car last...Your car is a another good example however that gen7 works thanks for posting...seems here lately whenever I try to help I end up getting caught in a meat grinder...so I think I'll keep any more info down the road to myself..

Last edited by Joe Overton; 09-25-2004 at 09:33 AM.

Quick Reply: Accel Gen 7 Users Inside!