PCM Diagnostics & Tuning HP Tuners | Holley | Diablo
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Help What Is Making Me Go Though O2 Senors?

Search this Thread

Old 10-27-2004, 06:49 AM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

yeah its very important to not let a car idle for more than 30-60 seconds before moving or you'll do alot of engine damage and of course more wasted emissions.
Old 10-27-2004, 08:35 AM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Can you explain what you mean, and why?

I've sat and idled for long times, many times, with no
evident effect.
Old 10-27-2004, 08:45 AM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Also if you have any kind of exhaust leak ay the collector it will burn 02 sensors fast.Also the fresh air from the AIR system can trip os switching codes.
Old 10-27-2004, 09:09 AM
6600 rpm clutch dump of death Administrator

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

We use rear 02's on the front (with an adapter harness) when installing really long tube headers (the LGMs for instance are 32" primaries with a 6" collector) the rear 02s are 65W the stock fronts are 35-40W. The higher wattage keeps the 02 up to temp, and they don't have switching errors...
Old 10-27-2004, 09:56 AM

Where did you find the wattage info, and is there any
even-higher-heater-wattage sensor out there?
Old 10-27-2004, 10:52 AM

Don't know of any higher ones. I think the wattage rating is on the sensor itself... Seen it posted before, but I can't find the post...
Old 10-27-2004, 04:12 PM
TECH Addict

From a cold start, if you idle, your spend more time in cold start mode. This mode is enriched by added fuel (to keep the car running) and the oil is out of range to purge water contamination or burn it off, water is naturally going to condensate in the tops of the valve covers etc. water suxors for lubing the pistons.

hence why you want to let the car go 30-60 seconds to get your proper (summer/winter) fluids moving, then drive lightly (as in not lugging low rpm, not revving/loading) the motor. This will yield the fastest time to full operating temps. Where emissions are least: less emissions,less fouling of oil, less wear, blah blah. Prob be smarter to turn up the fans or block the radiator in the winter if you log your coolant temps dropping on freeway speeds for instance. colder is not absolutely better, unless you plan to tear down the motor alot.

It's probably in your owners manual. I used to drive 2 miles to work, and back. I'd have to change my oil every 3 months or 400 miles, usually 400 miles, and it was gassy smelling already. Because i never spent enough time at full op temps, and mostly in fuel enrichment temps during the winter.(was my supercharged vw)

similar reason why your auto will never lock up (does it even shift into 4?) while cold, the pressure could annihilate the tranny and the fluids aren't in their optimal temp ranges to lubricate as necessary.

letting a car idle for 5 minutes on a cold morning is exactly what the dealer wants you to do, so you torch your engine faster and burn holes in the o-zone. lol. Otherwise they make heated seats, which work quite nice on those chilly mornings. It baffles me to watch the bmw owners near me run out to the car on a 32F morning, jump in, floor it driving off. I guess if you lease, no biggie, but damn poor car.

car manufacturers expect your car to last as long as the warranty lol. those that take care of the car in every minute detail probably have a motor that has 200K on it that doesn't smoke, those that lease the cars and never follow the book, probably will never care, those that buy those leased cars will have oil eating pos and be hating it later on. Makes sense.
Old 11-07-2004, 09:07 AM
TECH Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

On the Bosch#13111 Vette rear O2's. On-line both were the same price (about $75) but AutoZone only has a 3 month warranty.
Advance has a year warranty. I received my 13111 two days after ordering on line. I put them in yesterday. The wires were real long which let me remove my extenders that I had to use when I put the LT's in. I also turned the 1133 and 1153 codes back on to see if they come back with the bosch O2's.

I will let everyone know if the codes return.

Bill

Old 11-07-2004, 09:50 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by equandt
As an update, I stuck a new bosch 13111 in the right side header this weekend. I'll continue to keep everyone updated as to my results.
Any news yet? Code still gone?

Bill
Old 11-10-2004, 04:01 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by 2000WS6Vert
equandt, any update on this?
I installed the bosch 13111 and cleared the P1133 code from my car. I drove the car the rest of the day with no problems.

The next day, 3 minutes after start up, I threw another code.
Old 11-10-2004, 04:18 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by equandt
I installed the bosch 13111 and cleared the P1133 code from my car. I drove the car the rest of the day with no problems.

The next day, 3 minutes after start up, I threw another code.
No codes on mine after 3 days after installing the 13111 O2's.

Bill

Old 11-10-2004, 04:25 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I fixed my problem guys. Not what some of you want to do, but I just said to hell with the o2's. Running Closed loop all the time. Works great.
Old 11-10-2004, 05:46 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by HC02SS
I fixed my problem guys. Not what some of you want to do, but I just said to hell with the o2's. Running Closed loop all the time. Works great.
Did you turn the code off with an HP tuner?
Old 11-10-2004, 09:59 PM
TECH Junkie

No I have edit for the time being until FlashScan is released.
Old 11-11-2004, 05:25 AM
Teching In

Default So far, not so good

I swapped the sensors and it didnt help. 140 miles later the lights back on, but those 140 miles were awesome! Check my other posts for everything I've done to fix this issue. In case you havent noticed, you are not alone! Which in itself makes the situation a little better.
Old 11-11-2004, 10:37 AM

How are you swapping the rears in. They have a longer harness, but they also have a different plug. For a Vette you need a plug converter.

Have you thought about turning off the 02's at idle, and setting it with a WB.

Have you checked for leaks?
Old 11-11-2004, 11:49 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by J-Rod
How are you swapping the rears in. They have a longer harness, but they also have a different plug. For a Vette you need a plug converter.

Have you thought about turning off the 02's at idle, and setting it with a WB.

Have you checked for leaks?
The Bosch 13111 O2's snapped right in, plugs matched perfectly with my F-body plug. I have checked all the flanges and clamps a couple of times and not found any leaks.

I did just get off the phone with SLP. SLP advised that the high flow cats have something to do with it. They advised that the 02 readings front to rear do not show the correct differential of readings because of the high flow cats. The exhaust gases do not have the back pressure they previously did and thus do not heat the front sensor properly because of the high flow cats (or in some cases no cats).

SLP advised of two solutions.
1. Install rear 02 sims to correct the rear reading to a "stock" level.

or

2. Delete / remove the P1133 / P1153 codes from the computer program.

I'm going to keep trying. Anybody got some O2 sims they want to loan me?
Old 11-11-2004, 07:05 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by J-Rod
They have a longer harness, but they also have a different plug.
The ones I have used and had my buddies use in their F-bodies did not have this issue. They all snapped right in. Same plug.
Old 11-11-2004, 08:37 PM
TECH Fanatic

I don't think the heaters are on all the time , only when the pcm turns them on for warm up.That is why the code returns with the vette sensors,they still cool down
on light throttle cruise.I tried eveything I could think of incuding denso sensors with no success. I finally turned the codes off.
Old 11-11-2004, 11:16 PM
TECH Apprentice

Exhaust leak

Once you get the slow response code the sensors are trash... I have a box full...

My air check valves were leaking just a little and it killed them one by one… what you need to do is find the leak and if in-fact it’s the air injection tubes then go to the dealer and buy six air to manifolds gaskets and put three on each side to insure you have no leaks. Use bolts with lock washers on them.

Also get two steel band type clamps to put on each header… buy RTV seal and put under the clamps to make sure you seal the header to y-pipe. Use a lot of RTV… let it dry over night and your exhaust should be sealed unless the headers gasket is leaking… did you use the stock gaskets or the gaskets that came with the headers?