Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

HP Tuners is making my VE table so purdy :D

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-2004, 11:28 AM
12 Second Truck Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by WS6snake-eater
yeah I've got it set on full blast...but it still takes a while to get to the end of a log when you are logging 35 mins of data.
I second that!
Old 08-20-2004, 04:43 PM
TECH Addict

STFTs are not faster changing LTFTs. There are many other conditions that will cause your STFTs to go up and down. Tuning by LTFTs makes more sense to me anyways. I would imagine STFTs can even be pulled "lean" by downshifting and exiting PE mode, which would not show up in the LTFTs.

Last edited by Another_User; 08-20-2004 at 04:51 PM.
Old 08-20-2004, 06:03 PM
12 Second Truck Club

Originally Posted by Another_User
STFTs are not faster changing LTFTs. There are many other conditions that will cause your STFTs to go up and down. Tuning by LTFTs makes more sense to me anyways. I would imagine STFTs can even be pulled "lean" by downshifting and exiting PE mode, which would not show up in the LTFTs.
From what I understand, STFTs might as well be called Real Time Fuel Trims, and LTFTs might as well be called Average Fuel Trims. You're right, those conditions wouldn't show up in LTFTs, but it would be considered in averaging the fuel trims.
Old 08-20-2004, 06:15 PM
TECH Fanatic

FWIW I'm sticking to using the LTFT's at least until I get a WB.
Old 08-21-2004, 12:40 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks for explaining the STrims for me.
Old 08-21-2004, 12:46 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm using STFT at the advice of a friend that's much more knowledgable than I on this subject... and it's definetly been going well...

from my understanding... short term trims are instantaneous... wha'ts the car doing now... whereas when you introduce long term trims , it affects the overall fueling since they are an average or STRIMS.... the nice thing about using STRIMS only is that you don't have the PCM using hte LTRIMS to vary the fuel delivery..... if you use LTRIMS it doesn't update as quickly... whereas STRIMS are a true average (not an average based on the use of an average calculation performed by the PCM) ...

here's tonights log (before I made a tune change)

tuning for +/- 4 ... and those green sells (big green) I was definetly feeling... cruise was set at 40mph in 3rd gear and car seemed to drop RPMs then pick up... i looked at my laptop and saw I was in those sells running really rich ...
Attached Thumbnails HP Tuners is making my VE table so purdy :D-stft082004.jpg  
Old 08-21-2004, 07:55 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by horist
I'm using STFT at the advice of a friend that's much more knowledgable than I on this subject... and it's definetly been going well...

from my understanding... short term trims are instantaneous... wha'ts the car doing now... whereas when you introduce long term trims , it affects the overall fueling since they are an average or STRIMS.... the nice thing about using STRIMS only is that you don't have the PCM using hte LTRIMS to vary the fuel delivery..... if you use LTRIMS it doesn't update as quickly... whereas STRIMS are a true average (not an average based on the use of an average calculation performed by the PCM) ...

here's tonights log (before I made a tune change)

tuning for +/- 4 ... and those green sells (big green) I was definetly feeling... cruise was set at 40mph in 3rd gear and car seemed to drop RPMs then pick up... i looked at my laptop and saw I was in those sells running really rich ...
Sweet. You are hitting a very similar brick wall to what I did. If you figure it out I am anxious to hear. My trims to the left and top were lean, everything in the middle ok.
Old 08-21-2004, 05:31 PM
TECH Fanatic

Man you guys got me so damn confused now...I thought my stuff was looking good, now I'm stuck between the conventional method using the LTFT's and the new STFT method. I thought that the two would go hand in hand, but comparing my two histograms, of STFT's and LTFT's I'm seeing that the STFT's are reporting lower than my LTFT's...

Last edited by WS6snake-eater; 08-21-2004 at 05:50 PM.
Old 08-21-2004, 06:42 PM
12 Second Truck Club

Originally Posted by WS6snake-eater
Man you guys got me so damn confused now...I thought my stuff was looking good, now I'm stuck between the conventional method using the LTFT's and the new STFT method. I thought that the two would go hand in hand, but comparing my two histograms, of STFT's and LTFT's I'm seeing that the STFT's are reporting lower than my LTFT's...
Wow, that doesn't look too good. I'd get the LTFT's to where they should be and then fine tune with the STFT's afterwards.
Old 08-21-2004, 06:56 PM
TECH Fanatic

The funny thing is I've been doing a lot of tuning using the LTFT histogram and, I had the table looking great...all -2 to 0, Then I converted the data to a CSV file and started doing some more looking and realized that my left o2 was not reading correctly...So I got the car on the lift today, and sure enough, one of the but ends on my o2 extension had come loose. The tables I just posted are the result of the o2 working correctly now. I actually cleared the LTFT's and drove for about 30 miles before I made those logs. It appears now that I'm running very lean...I'm having a tough time now deciding weather or not to go with a blanket fix using the MAF, and then going back to VE for fine tuning, or if I should just try and continue with the VE. Any insights?

Last edited by WS6snake-eater; 08-21-2004 at 07:04 PM.
Old 08-21-2004, 07:00 PM
12 Second Truck Club

I'm new at tuning so I haven't ventured into the MAF side of things yet. I get the LTFT's close with the IFR and use the VE table for fine tuning. But that's just me.
Old 08-22-2004, 08:24 AM
FormerVendor

The PCM uses both the LTFT's and STFT's to determine fueling. The names are exactly what they mean, LTFT is a slow moving fuel correction and STFT is a fast moving fuel correction. The idea of having LTFT's is to make your STFT's vary by small amounts around 0 (ie. the average STFT value should be ideally 0, if your LTFT's are working correctly)

STFT's can be used to tune your fuel as long as you disable the LTFT learning process.

The best way (IMHO) to tune SD is to disable closed loop, disable PE, set your Openloop F/A to a constant (safe) value (to give say 13:1 AFR) and then use the WBO2 as your guide to tuning VE. That way, when enable everything again (and assuming you end up with 0 WOT trims) when you ask for a certain AFR in your various fuel tables, you might actually get it.
Old 08-22-2004, 10:13 AM
FormerVendor

How do you disable the LTFT learning process

Quick Reply: HP Tuners is making my VE table so purdy :D