PCM Diagnostics & Tuning HP Tuners | Holley | Diablo
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What is the Purpose of resetting your L Term trims?

Old 08-27-2004, 04:50 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Question What is the Purpose of resetting your L Term trims?

What does this do?and why would I want to do it?Do you reset it at Idle? driving down the road my L Terms are in the Neg like 5.0 to 6.0%,Will it mess with wot?I am low on power from mid to High end....Thanks guys...Scott
Old 08-27-2004, 07:28 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It just speeds the LTFT re-learn process. If they are way off +15 from a bad tune and you put a good tune in the PCM, it will still use the LTFT Correction for fueling and make you think your tune is off until it re-learns your new tune and brings them back to 0 (as this may take many miles of driving). So you want to start it off from 0 to see if your tune is making it negative or positive.
Old 08-27-2004, 08:32 PM
TECH Senior Member

Basically what he said... LTRIMS are the average amount of fuel that the PCM has to add or remove based on O2 input to maintain 14.7 AFR ...

You want your LTRIMs to be 0 or as close as possible to 0 on the negative side in order to get a good tune... if the LTRIMS are > 0 then when you go WOT they lock in and the PCM adds fuel...
Old 08-27-2004, 09:55 PM
TECH Fanatic

My L Terms are -4.7 to -6.1 at idle in park,but they go up -10 when I am driving down the rd.Is this aceptable?
Thank you
Old 08-27-2004, 10:11 PM
TECH Addict

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Pro Mouse
My L Terms are -4.7 to -6.1 at idle in park,but they go up -10 when I am driving down the rd.Is this aceptable?
Thank you

Yes, a few stock cars that I have checked were like that so I'm guessing GM knows what they are doing!
Old 08-27-2004, 10:22 PM
TECH Fanatic

Thumbs up

Great to see you Bill,The VE table rocks and car is starting good,I dont know if you seen my post ?but I IAC was bad,put another one in and I was able to tune it right in Thanks! I was thinking about resetting them I just reflashed pcm,When resetting do you do it in park at idle or driving?
Old 08-28-2004, 01:42 AM
TECH Fanatic

From what I have been reading the LT's are just an average of the ST's. The ST's are always moving because they are real time. With that in mind I am starting to think that one should be more concerned with the real time data than the average of it. That's why the LT's do not move up or down as fast because of the constant averaging. Now how would one go about tuning using the ST data?
Old 08-28-2004, 04:33 AM
12 Second Truck Club

Originally Posted by ram-it
From what I have been reading the LT's are just an average of the ST's. The ST's are always moving because they are real time. With that in mind I am starting to think that one should be more concerned with the real time data than the average of it. That's why the LT's do not move up or down as fast because of the constant averaging. Now how would one go about tuning using the ST data?
Using the VE table. ST tuning is slightly more advanced and involved than LT tuning. It's best to get the LT's looking right so WOT fueling will be consistent and then tune the ST's.
Old 08-28-2004, 10:18 AM
TECH Fanatic

That's what I was thinking but what are the ST's suppose to look like? I know the LT's are negative and go to 0 at WOT but nothing on the ST's. Would it be the same and what would the max values want to be?
Old 08-28-2004, 11:40 AM
12 Second Truck Club

Originally Posted by ram-it
That's what I was thinking but what are the ST's suppose to look like? I know the LT's are negative and go to 0 at WOT but nothing on the ST's. Would it be the same and what would the max values want to be?
Horist jump in at any time. I believe he is/was tuning for ST's and was shooting for +/-5. As far as I know, there aren't any real guidelines for tuning ST's, but I highly doubt you'll get them all negative without having some seriously negative LT's.

Old 08-28-2004, 11:44 AM
TECH Fanatic

Thanks Magic. I think I will go do some scanning to get familar with how the ST's read compared to the LT's in order to get an idea of whats really going on.
Old 08-28-2004, 02:43 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by Magic Chicken
but I highly doubt you'll get them all negative without having some seriously negative LT's.
Yeah, that was what I am curious about. Me, seeing anywhere inbetween -5/+5 and 0 at wot. If I tried getting all below 0 I'd probably see some real high negatives. No?
Old 08-28-2004, 03:42 PM
TECH Fanatic

Okay I did a quick scan. Car was cold so this would probably change as the car gets warmer but at idle the LT's were -1.6 and ST's stayed at 0. I know at temp the ST's jump around but it was interesting to note that when cold even when I rev'd it a little they stayed right at 0. I will see what they do next time its warm.
Old 08-28-2004, 04:20 PM
TECH Senior Member

that's because you're running open loop when cold... when you first start the car you have to wait for it to switch to closed loop before you really care about the LTs and STs... car could be 100% warmed up... shut it off and turn it on and it'll do the same thing
Old 08-28-2004, 04:24 PM
TECH Fanatic

Thats what I thought.

Search this Thread