PCM Diagnostics & Tuning HP Tuners | Holley | Diablo
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Something to consider with HP Tuner...

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-2004, 12:50 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Something to consider with HP Tuner...

Just thought I'd let people know this. I don't ever remember reading it but it may have been an oversight on my part. If it was in the fine print, I thought maybe others have overlooked this also.

HP Tuner will not replace a lost/stolen cable. Cost for a new cable: $499.

Don't leave your cable in your car.
Old 09-12-2004, 01:34 AM
TECH Fanatic

im ready to reverse engineer that thing cant be that complicated
Old 09-12-2004, 01:44 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by TT_Vert
im ready to reverse engineer that thing cant be that complicated
Can't be that legal either ... specially posting on a board that is sponsored by said company...

if it wasn't that complicated there'd be alot more PCM tuners out there... it's not as easy as you may think...

Regarding not replacing the cable... I can understand that... what proof do they have that it was actually stolen or lost? If they'd replace it if it were lost/stolen they'd have tons of people calling in saying they lost their cable or someone stol their cable... just so they'd have a spare cable to sell/give a buddy..
Old 09-12-2004, 01:49 AM
TECH Fanatic

ive already had it apart, it is that easy of course it would be for my own personal use as a backup if mine decided to stop working. Kinda like keeping a backup of my copies of software..

Dave
Old 09-12-2004, 09:45 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by TT_Vert
ive already had it apart, it is that easy of course it would be for my own personal use as a backup if mine decided to stop working. Kinda like keeping a backup of my copies of software..

Dave
I agree. As long as he doesn't distribute it, there is nothing illegal about making himself a second one from reverse engineering as a backup only.

Jim K.
Old 09-12-2004, 11:16 AM
TECH Fanatic

I didn't ask for them to replace it free of charge. I bought the software only a few months ago and I am asking for a cable for the same year/model. HP Tuner should worry more about people duplicating the cables (and copying software) then selling a replacement cable for $200. At least then, they still make a buck on it. People would be less likely to duplicate the cables if there was some way to get a replacement.

Their are a lot of smart folks on these boards and probably plenty of them with the knowledge/tools to tear a cable down and rebuilt a copy of it. Afterall, all they are doing is copying the cable, not modifing it.

Anyway... this was just an FYI not a post to try to find people to try to rip off HP Tuner.
Old 09-12-2004, 03:20 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Jason, All of that information is on the checkout page. The very page you must click to proceed before you are taken to our paypal site. We have a lot of info on that page regarding our policies.

If you buy a set of heads from an aftermarket company and your heads are stolen from your garage, does that company send you a new set?

What if it was a cam?

If you left your laptop in the car and that was stolen, would IBM replace it?.... even at a discount?

We are not liable for theft of your property.

Licensing of our product is in the cable you purchase. We canot protect ourselves if we are giving away cables when a user claims theft nor do we have any way to know for sure if theft really occurred or if someone is trying to find a way to obtain our product at a cheaper price.

- Keith, HP Tuners
Old 09-12-2004, 05:47 PM
Deranged Rat Fink

I have to agree with Keith on this one , no company ever offers replacement of a stolen part in the aftermarket automotive parts business and it's not unreasonable for them to take that position.true, it would be a very unpleasant thing to get a cable ripped off but it would completely impossible for them to verify who's being truthful and who's lying. plus the cables are matched to the adapters so if you don't have the whole thing then it's kinda useless by itself.
Old 09-12-2004, 05:56 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Since that cable is unique and vehicle-type locked, and
presumably user-locked, it has no value to the thief.

I would put up a "reward, no questions asked" flyer
just in case you're dealing with a total fool, explaining
that the cable can't be used with other software. You
might get it back.
Old 09-12-2004, 06:33 PM
TECH Fanatic

If you buy a TV and you lose the remote control, you can buy a new remote control. If you buy a computer and your keyboard gets run over by a car, you can buy a new keyboard.

The cable was a piece of tuning software that I purchased. Like I said, I may have overlooked it but it wasn't something I considered buying the software.

The cable was returned to me (taken by family member) today after I had the police call and demand it back.
Old 09-12-2004, 06:40 PM
TECH Addict

We're glad you got it back. But I agree with HP Tuners policy.
Old 09-12-2004, 07:34 PM
what a rush!

Originally Posted by Magnus
Jason, All of that information is on the checkout page. The very page you must click to proceed before you are taken to our paypal site. We have a lot of info on that page regarding our policies.

If you buy a set of heads from an aftermarket company and your heads are stolen from your garage, does that company send you a new set?

What if it was a cam?

If you left your laptop in the car and that was stolen, would IBM replace it?.... even at a discount?

We are not liable for theft of your property.

Licensing of our product is in the cable you purchase. We canot protect ourselves if we are giving away cables when a user claims theft nor do we have any way to know for sure if theft really occurred or if someone is trying to find a way to obtain our product at a cheaper price.

- Keith, HP Tuners

If the cable stop working for whatever reason, and we send it back, do you then replace it?
Old 09-12-2004, 07:44 PM
Deranged Rat Fink

straight from the HP Tuners' site :We offer a 1 year limited warranty on interface hardware defects. Warranty void if you tamper with the interface.
Old 09-12-2004, 07:53 PM
what a rush!

Originally Posted by badjuju342
straight from the HP Tuners' site :We offer a 1 year limited warranty on interface hardware defects. Warranty void if you tamper with the interface.
the reason I ask, not due to tampering, is I consider a cord, cable, or plug (i.e. something used all the time) as a perishable item. Its not uncommon for a plug or extension cord to get pulled one to many times and then it stops working. So, in this case, is there a replacement policy a little more reasonable than $500?
Old 09-12-2004, 08:02 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

You should not be pulling on the cords on the interface. That CAN damage the interface. It is a very complex and expensive device that must be handled with care. If you are using it in a harsh environment, it may be a good idea to tie the cords together and tape up the interface for added protection.

The cables (not the interface itself) can be replaced for low cost.
Old 09-12-2004, 08:08 PM
what a rush!

Originally Posted by Magnus
You should not be pulling on the cords on the interface. That CAN damage the interface. It is a very complex and expensive device that must be handled with care. If you are using it in a harsh environment, it may be a good idea to tie the cords together and tape up the interface for added protection.

The cables (not the interface itself) can be replaced for low cost.
Well thats good to hear!
I won't be using it in what I would call a harsh environment, but I could see driving down the road, doing some data logging, and having my damn foot tug on something it shouldn't.
I think I'm gonna take that advice though and tape my cords up so if something like that were to happen I'd damage the cords and not my interface

Quick Reply: Something to consider with HP Tuner...