PCM Diagnostics & Tuning HP Tuners | Holley | Diablo
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Can my BIN have KR changed and allow me to use full VE table?

Old 10-01-2004, 11:50 AM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Can my BIN have KR changed and allow me to use full VE table?

I am just wondering if my stock HP Tuners BIN file can be changed to have a lowered KR sensitivity and allow me to use the full primary VE table. And more importantly who do I have to pay to do it, and how much will it cost me?
Old 10-01-2004, 12:03 PM
FormerVendor

You and I are in the same boat (I want to use the primary table also). I have asked about this and the answer i got was we need a new OS if this is done with our existing cable it will be out of spec for the year vehicle. I am not even sure you can get away with it since yuo are a 98 and used the old style PCM

My SD tune is comming along fine what bugs me is there are some cells I have no access to because the sec table moves in steps of 10 where the primary table moves in steps of 5
Old 10-01-2004, 12:16 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by HumpinSS
You and I are in the same boat (I want to use the primary table also). I have asked about this and the answer i got was we need a new OS if this is done with our existing cable it will be out of spec for the year vehicle. I am not even sure you can get away with it since yuo are a 98 and used the old style PCM

My SD tune is comming along fine what bugs me is there are some cells I have no access to because the sec table moves in steps of 10 where the primary table moves in steps of 5
So, is the OS an extra file that needs to get downloaded from the PCM? It sucks not being able to use that full table. Or to be able to tune my KR. So how is that SD table of yours doing? Do you still have your MAF in the intake tract?
Old 10-01-2004, 12:31 PM
FormerVendor

The Sd tune is comming along fine. yes the MAF is still in the tract I am removing it tonight and replacing with some PVC then doing some more loggin hopefully the 85mm lid to TB will lean it out some on the cells i cant reach....
Old 10-01-2004, 02:40 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by Another_User
I am just wondering if my stock HP Tuners BIN file can be changed to have a lowered KR sensitivity and allow me to use the full primary VE table. And more importantly who do I have to pay to do it, and how much will it cost me?
I am assuming these are 2 separate questions. Pretty sure Edit has a special table for the '98s to set the KR floor (or threshold or something like that). Does HPT have this? Also, you should be able to change the KR gain.

No idea on the VE table question. I'm guessing that MAF unplugged = secondary VE table used. I suppose there might be a way to trick the PCM into thinking the MAF is still there and use the primary VE. Maybe a little gizmo that you hook into the MAF plug that feeds some calculated values into the PCM to keep it happy??? Somebody could make a nice buck on a gizmo like that - maybe a little black box that takes the MAP and RPM signals from the engine (like a VE table) and feeds a calculated airflow (actually MAF frequency) value into the MAF sensor input to the PCM.

Have you tried deleting all the MAF codes?
Old 10-01-2004, 03:28 PM
TECH Addict

Oh I am good on the MAF codes. No check engine light. My secondary VE is working great, I would just feel a teensy better using the primary. They are two seperate questions. Unfortunately this version of HP Tuners does not allow you to set the noise floor...and for some reason HP Tuners seems to have some reservations about letting us change it. I have no idea why...there are a million ways to mess up your car with their software, that option should not be any more risky. I guess what I was fishing for is if the PRO version of HP Tuners lets you get more into everything, and maybe a tuner could change my stock BIN so that I could make all my tunes based on that one with an updated knock sensor sensitivity. Unless one of the HP Tuners guys would like to chime in and tell me if they will be incorporating this change into the next version...(hint hint).

HumpinSS...where did you find 3.5" OD PVC? You would like my MAF replacement. I am running a .125" wall 3.5" OD aluminum tube that I had custom cut. Very very durable. I have been toying with the notion of having some powder coated and selling them online. It fits perfectly in place of the MAF.
Old 10-01-2004, 03:31 PM
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by Another_User
HumpinSS...where did you find 3.5" OD PVC? You would like my MAF replacement. I am running a .125" wall 3.5" OD aluminum tube that I had custom cut. Very very durable. I have been toying with the notion of having some powder coated and selling them online. It fits perfectly in place of the MAF.

Havent goen to home depot to look yet but by your response I am thinking I may be **** outta luck. where did you get teh tubing from?
Old 10-01-2004, 03:38 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I was at home depot the other day and couldn't find anything that would work...
Old 10-01-2004, 03:52 PM
FormerVendor

Looks like i will go ghetto style with some dryer duct.

How long does it have to be i am thinking/hoping a longer fernco coupling will help

Last edited by HumpinSS; 10-01-2004 at 03:57 PM.
Old 10-01-2004, 06:09 PM
TECH Fanatic

Another User, I've heard we'll be able to adjust kr sensitivity in ver 1.5. Is this different from what you've heard?
Old 10-01-2004, 06:47 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by luv2spd
Another User, I've heard we'll be able to adjust kr sensitivity in ver 1.5. Is this different from what you've heard?
Really? Hey, would you look at that. They finally replied with that to my post. Go figure. Sweet. I had asked earlier and they said that they had some reservations about putting it in. Woohoo!!! Well it is the first week of October and I am waiting patiently....
Old 10-01-2004, 10:28 PM
FormerVendor

Well one issue is taken car of the only other is the secondary ve table
Old 10-02-2004, 09:46 AM
TECH Addict

The MAF replacement tube has to be 3.5 inches long. A little more or less won't be a big deal.
Old 10-02-2004, 09:57 AM
FormerVendor

I will jsut get a 4 to 3 inch coupling and run that for a while
Old 10-02-2004, 11:47 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 18 Likes on 12 Posts

Send me your file, and I can see if there is anythign I can do with it. I have the Pro version. Havent messed with 98s much with HP only 3 cars, I remember those table in edit though.

If you send the PCM to receive a signal for the maf, its going to read that as MAF input.

If your missing rich cells becasue of resolution there should be a relatively easy way around that
Old 10-03-2004, 10:00 AM
TECH Regular

If you send the PCM to receive a signal for the maf, its going to read that as MAF input.
True, but if the signal you send is determined directly from a VE table, then it will be exactly like a SD tune. No worries about dirty MAF wires or fluctuating airflow in the intake tract.
Old 10-03-2004, 10:37 AM
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by GrannySShifting
Send me your file, and I can see if there is anythign I can do with it. I have the Pro version. Havent messed with 98s much with HP only 3 cars, I remember those table in edit though.

If your missing rich cells becasue of resolution there should be a relatively easy way around that

The way around it is a different os (01-02) that uses the primary table in the event of a MAF failure... 00< used two tables with the secondary moving in steps of 10 rather than steps of 5.
Old 10-05-2004, 02:50 PM
TECH Addict

Secondary what?

I only have a Primary VE table in my version of HPT.

I'm eagerly awaiting HPT V1.5.
Old 10-05-2004, 03:13 PM
FormerVendor

you are lucky.. if you have a 00 and down we arent that lucky

Last edited by HumpinSS; 10-05-2004 at 03:31 PM.

Search this Thread