PCM Diagnostics & Tuning HP Tuners | Holley | Diablo
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Installed Longtubes: HELP problems.

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-2005, 02:27 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Installed Longtubes: HELP problems.

The car is constantly popping and running rich after installing the Edelbrocks. I can cruise along slowly, but any major amounts of Throttle causes the car to buck and sputter. Seems like it is running extremely rich, but the o2's are reading just a little lean (-5 LTFT). Sometimes the when the is popping the LTFT are going rich (up to +4)

I need help. I can't get my tune from Diablo yet on my car until I get a USB to RS232 connector. He sent me a tune to Adjust for the Newer injectors. I had to run open headers for about 15 miles to get back to the house. The o2's are about 1 1/2 from the opening. Would this kill the O2's? Also I think I read somewhere that the Rear O2's from a vette are good to use for the Heatingissue I've read about.

I have o2 sims also.

I also posted this in the external section.
https://ls1tech.com/forums/showthrea...76#post2389876
Old 01-31-2005, 05:09 AM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

any chance you have a leak in the system?
Old 01-31-2005, 10:12 AM
TECH Fanatic

Possibly, but where would the leak cause the O2's to freak out?
Old 01-31-2005, 10:36 AM
Launching!

At part throttle, the vacuum in your intake can suck exhaust backward (during cam overlap), which can can pull air back into the system. This can show a lean condition, cause backfiring etc. I would expect it to be anywhere upstream of the cats.

Loosely cover your exhaust outlets and look for a leak. The car will still run unless you absolutely completely block the exhaust. Check around your AIR fittings, all flanges, etc.
Old 01-31-2005, 11:02 AM
On The Tree

If I read your post correctly, you have bigger? injectors and you haven't put the new tune in your car yet, right?...well then you are running rich-maybe extremely rich depending on how big those injectors are...get that tune in the car, quick.

good luck.
Old 01-31-2005, 11:28 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by Richiec77
The car is constantly popping and running rich after installing the Edelbrocks. I can cruise along slowly, but any major amounts of Throttle causes the car to buck and sputter. Seems like it is running extremely rich, but the o2's are reading just a little lean (-5 LTFT). Sometimes the when the is popping the LTFT are going rich (up to +4)

I need help. I can't get my tune from Diablo yet on my car until I get a USB to RS232 connector. He sent me a tune to Adjust for the Newer injectors. I had to run open headers for about 15 miles to get back to the house. The o2's are about 1 1/2 from the opening. Would this kill the O2's? Also I think I read somewhere that the Rear O2's from a vette are good to use for the Heatingissue I've read about.

I have o2 sims also.

I also posted this in the external section.
https://ls1tech.com/forums/showthrea...76#post2389876
Just as a heads up, - LTFTs indicate a rich condition while + LTFTs indicate a lean condition. You have them mixed up.

What is your LTFT average?
Old 01-31-2005, 01:08 PM
TECH Fanatic

Not sure yet. I'm going to reset the computer and down load a new tune to delete the rear o2's. I think the sim's a look a little goofy. Not reading like they should.

I put 28.8 lbs injector in over the stock '99 injectors. (26 if I remember right.) The only thing I have changed out since swapping the injectors is the Long Tubes.

JamRWS6 thanks for the heads up's up. I didn't know I had it back wards.

For now I'm going to reset the Computer, install the new tune. Then I drive it areound and see if that helps out any. As far as leaks, I havent noticed any. I'll try blocking off the exhaust and see if I get any.
Old 01-31-2005, 01:32 PM
TECH Resident

Not sure yet. I'm going to reset the computer and down load a new tune to delete the rear o2's. I think the sim's a look a little goofy. Not reading like they should.
The rear O2s (post cat) are only there to verify that the cats are working....they don't influence the way the car runs.

If you don't have a SES code for the rear O2s then there should be nothing to worry about with the sims.
Old 01-31-2005, 01:56 PM
TECH Fanatic

That might be true but if the O2 sims are acting wrong they could send the computer a "Cat Overtemp" signal floading the motor with fuel.
Old 01-31-2005, 02:06 PM
TECH Junkie

if the cat is overtemp, I don't think the PCM would deliver more fuel. I'm not sure about that, but it doens't make sense to me. From what I understand, fuel reacts with the catalyst causing it to heat up and burn off. I could be dead *** wrong, been a brain fart kind of day today.
Old 01-31-2005, 02:40 PM
TECH Fanatic

Is a backfire caused by too much fuel? I think this is correct. Right now at idle the Ltrims want to stay around -08.25. The O2 voltage is dancing around alot from 55 mv to 900mv. I'm off to get some Vette Rear O2's. When I first started the car it took almost a minute to start registering anything. The exhaust is pretty rich smeeling. It seems right now I'm fighting a rich condition.
Old 01-31-2005, 04:13 PM
TECH Fanatic

I just threw a P0300 Multiple misfire code. I'm going to change out the plugs and see how it does. And if this doesn't clear the problem I have a set of 13111. Damn $160 for the pair is expensive.
Old 01-31-2005, 05:27 PM
TECH Resident

That might be true but if the O2 sims are acting wrong they could send the computer a "Cat Overtemp" signal floading the motor with fuel.
I have never heard of that even being an issue. I was always told the rear O2s have no effect on PCM fuel calibration. They were solely an emissions device.
Old 01-31-2005, 05:27 PM
TECH Fanatic

I got it firured out. Car is running good now. It broke the coolant emperture sensor, and had 2 completely fouled out plugs. New temp sensor and plugs and the car is running great now. Thanks everyone for helping out. That is why I love this site.
Old 01-31-2005, 05:28 PM
TECH Resident

I got it firured out. Car is running good now. It broke the coolant emperture sensor, and had 2 completely fouled out plugs. New temp sensor and plugs and the car is running great now. Thanks everyone for helping out. That is why I love this site.

Good to see you got it figured out.