PCM Diagnostics & Tuning HP Tuners | Holley | Diablo
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Question about sharing computer circuits?

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-2005, 01:49 PM
11 Second Truck Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Question about sharing computer circuits?

I am curious if I can use the wire coming out of the PCM that grounds the fuel pressure relay to ground another relay also. Or would this place too much load on the circuit and fry the PCM? I am thinking it would be ok since it is a ground circuit but I don't wanna fry anything. I am talking about just "T ing" into the wire and letting it control the fuel pressure relay and an add on relay. Any thoughts on this?
Old 02-04-2005, 06:42 PM
On The Tree

If your just running a relay it shouldn't be an issue, very little current draw required.
Old 02-06-2005, 05:40 AM
11 Second Truck Club

Thanks, thats what I was thinking. Unless someone else gets on here and says for sure that it won't work i am going to go ahead and try it.
Old 02-06-2005, 12:48 PM
10 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Stop! Depending on which relay you select you could damage your PCM. The output circuits are designed to safely switch some maximum current. Adding another identical relay will double the operating current which would probably exceed the safety margin. At the very least, this should not be done without more investigation.
Old 02-06-2005, 01:34 PM
9 Second Club/LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Your off to a bad start! The fuel PUMP relay isn't grounded by the PCM, it is powered. So don't wire up another relay to be grounded; it ain't gonna work.

91 Z28 LS2 408CI, LS9 Supercharger, LPE GT7 cam, Yank3000, 3450 raceweight.
Latest numbers: 9.71 ET, 141.42 MPH, 1.40 60' , 610 RWHP Mustang Dyno

www.speartech.com
Old 02-09-2005, 04:10 AM
11 Second Truck Club

Ok, thanks for the heads up-I do NOT want to burn up the pcm !! I do need to have a circuit that is only on when the engine is running. How about using the wire powering the fuel pump itself to trigger the new relay? Are there any un-used circuits in the pcm, such as AIR (just an example) that I could hook up to then program to come on when I want with edit?
Old 02-09-2005, 07:43 AM
9 Second Club/LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

As long as you wire it up correctly you should have no problem driving two relays. Just use GM relays or at least measure the coil resistance of the relay you are adding so that it is not too low causing high current draw on the PCM.

I used two fuel pump relays for a long time when I was using dual fuel pumps; no problems at all.

That's probably easier than trying to configure an unused PCM circuit to work the way you want it to.

91 Z28 LS2 408CI, LS9 Supercharger, LPE GT7 cam, Yank3000, 3450 raceweight.
Latest numbers: 9.71 ET, 141.42 MPH, 1.40 60' , 610 RWHP Mustang Dyno

www.speartech.com
Old 02-09-2005, 05:40 PM
On The Tree

be careful relays have a bad habit of creating a current spike when shut off. If you want a techinical description I can give you one (electrical engineer) but for now just be really careful and use a very good relay with coil suppresion that will be compatable with the pcm. your best bet would be to tap at some point after a drive relay that would isolate the pcm from and crap that your relay would create on the line.

like the case where the 2 fuel pumps were installed I would have attached the input to the 2nd relay to the output of the first relay and run that in parellel with the original pump circuit thus avoiding and feedback to the PCM.

the stock pcm to relay interfaces are well worked out and tested with some very special circuits to protect to solid state electronics in the PCM.

More Than Zero

ps: this stuff is not a problem when you are just dealing with relays, it only comes into play when you throw solid state devices into the mix.