PCM Diagnostics & Tuning HP Tuners | Holley | Diablo
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Will this LS6 cam need immediate tunning?

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-2005, 09:55 AM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Will this LS6 cam need immediate tunning?

Hey gang.
I have a 99 c5 auto,a couple bolt on's.I have an LS6 cam and valve train sitting in my room.Tuners here are far and few.So i'm going to get the Vinci handheld (can adjust the idle if needed.)to start with for now.Can't afford it for 2 months.
How would my car idle and drive (not WOT driving),with this cam on my stock PCM tune.Do i need immediate tunning?Right now the car idles perfectly at 620 rpms.Thanks for any advise.Here's the specs.Oh,i'm going to install it 4* adv since i have an auto.

99 LS1 cam... .472/.479 199/207 LSA 117
03 LS6 cam... .555/.551 204/218 LSA 117.5
Old 02-13-2005, 10:47 AM
Cal
TECH Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

You should be fine running it without tunning. This not a very big cam and it will idle the same as your LS1 cam did anyway.
Old 02-13-2005, 12:04 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I put in '02 Z06 cam (same specs are yours) + 1.8 rockers (plus supporting mods like springs and such) and I ended up running 4mph SLOWER than before the camswap. So I bought HPTuners and started scanning of what's going on. The whole tune was off by a large margin. Everything is lean, knocked even at partial throttle at lower rpm. I spent last week fine tuning it, and I just got back from the last run where everything is very near perfect.
now if it only stopped raining, i could go do some gtech runs and see some comparative results.
in short: tuning (or at least scanning) is always good for you.
Old 02-14-2005, 10:46 AM
Launching!

Cool,
Thanks you guy's.
I have a small window to do this in a month.I won't have my programer in time, so i will be driving untunned for about 1 month.I was going to go with a larger cam kit,but for $300,a bud sold me his 2003 LS6 cam,springs etc...7000 miles on parts.

Hey Supra,did you have to change the idle at all?I know the rest of the tune will be off,i was hoping i would at least get a hint of a "lope".(i will install4* adv).And if you don't mind,were did you end up setting the rev-limiter?Hoping it will rev a little faster also with the titanium valve train.

Well you guy's satisfied my doubts.I'll order the double roller and gaskets next week.
Mahalo.....Todd.
Old 02-14-2005, 01:45 PM
Cal
TECH Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

A guy with a stock Z06 was telling me he could hear the lope, but when he started the motor it sounded just like my Camaro with the stock cam to me. I think you will need to slow down the idle to get any lope out of it.
Old 02-15-2005, 12:09 AM
TECH Fanatic

1. absolutely zero lope. with short durations, and 117.5 ICL there's just no chance for one, unless you idle it really low. lope sucks anyway (/me puts flameretardant suit on)
2. my idle is 800rpm, never a problem with it.
3. why do you wanna advance it? the cam is retarded from the factory -2.5 degs for a reason, it peaks high as it was made to behave like a proper, top end happy race car.
4. my revlimiter is at 6600, but shiftpoints are at 6200 for testing and tuning time. Once it's all working well, then i'll probably bump it up close to 6500. This cam is very top end happy, so utilizing rpms to make power yields very nice results. Which springs do you have? stock z06 springs?
5. When installing a double roller, watch out extra hard not to pinch your O-ring. Only once everything is perfectly lined up the double roller will fit well.
Let us know of the results once you get your stuff in, I'm curious to see how it ends up. Are you going to get it tuned/dynoed proper?
Old 02-15-2005, 04:50 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by RedHardSupra
1. absolutely zero lope. with short durations, and 117.5 ICL there's just no chance for one, unless you idle it really low. lope sucks anyway (/me puts flameretardant suit on)
2. my idle is 800rpm, never a problem with it.
3. why do you wanna advance it? the cam is retarded from the factory -2.5 degs for a reason, it peaks high as it was made to behave like a proper, top end happy race car.
4. my revlimiter is at 6600, but shiftpoints are at 6200 for testing and tuning time. Once it's all working well, then i'll probably bump it up close to 6500. This cam is very top end happy, so utilizing rpms to make power yields very nice results. Which springs do you have? stock z06 springs?
5. When installing a double roller, watch out extra hard not to pinch your O-ring. Only once everything is perfectly lined up the double roller will fit well.
Let us know of the results once you get your stuff in, I'm curious to see how it ends up. Are you going to get it tuned/dynoed proper?
1. I love lopey cams,or should i say a good/steady choppy idle.I'll never flame a dude for there opinion.Everyone has there own preferences.
2. For 3 years (had 19,000 miles) it idles at 625rpm (cycles between 620 - 630 on the scanner).Idles great,almost has a lope/chop.I figured the LS6 cam would be just enough to give a slight chop to it.
3. Hum,i took a poll on another site (not C/F) and the cam guru's all advised 4* adv for autos and straight up for manuals.C5 autos with the performance axle is only a 3:15 gear.(this is what i have),i guess their thinking is drop the whole curve a tad to gain the low and mid range for autos.I never heard the cam was adv already,5*..damn.I could find that ifo anywere.
4. Maybe i'll try the same rpm,6500 rev-limit,so i'll shift at 6200 or so.Yes,the cam,springs,pushrods,retainers are all off a buds 2003 LS6 crate motor,7000 miles.He blew his LS1 in a 97 c5.Installed a MTI cam and longtubes,over 500hp now,he has the dynos also..He did his own tune.I can't say why,but he's "professor LS1 and LS1 edit".
5. I'm pretty good with mechanical parts,i install all sorts of seals,shafts,couplings etc in tight spaces at my job.Did you use a double?I think the single is strong,but the double is adjustable for the adv,that was my main reasoning.I know you guys here don't really have much respect for handhelds,(i don't either),but the Vinci has taken great steps in there new unit.They have 6 pre-programs for various set ups,you can load the one closest to your set up,and you can adjust everything from there to perfect the tune,or make a tune from scratch.They only tune for cams to .600 lift,but can tune for superchargers,larger injectors,heads,cam,headers and the idle in 50 rpm incriments.Also does all the other stuff the other handhelds do.I only know one tunner here,he's a die-hard f-body guy,has a team of fast f-body's at the track.My cars to low to get on the dyno (i lowered it 4 "),and i don't want my PCM locked,i will be adding long tubes and heads in the near future,and want control of my tune.I have a friend here with the latest HP tuner has to offer,but theres a learning curve to this.He's got a ways to go.But i think i will hire him when it's time for heads and a bigger cam next year.
Thanks for you input.I'm confussed on the OEM adv ground in the cam now.
I won't be able to do this for about 30 days.But i'll let you know for sure how it goes,i think it will be cake,iv'e done many cams,just did my buds 91 L98 hot cam and 1.6 full r/r.Looks like the LS1 is hella easy to tear into,changed my buds push rods in his 99 T/A ls1,thats as far as my LS1 experience goes,internally anyway.For the c5,the most time consuming thing,is removing the streering rack to get the balancer and pulley off.You can see in pic below the all the cylinders are accessable,so i'm going to try the "seat the lifters" method.I have 45,500 miles now.This is an old pic,i tossed the fuel rail covers,relocate the coils and some other things while i'm doing the job.
Old 02-15-2005, 09:25 AM
TECH Fanatic

i haven't dyno'ed it yet, but i did find a 'torque applied to a transmisison' PID in HPT, so in combination with RPM and a quick calculatoin to HP, i did my own little 'dyno' graph. i got on it in 2nd gear from 4000-6000rpm, and the torque is very flat. toward the end of the run i backed off the throttle a little (90%) so the torque dropped off ~30lbft at 6000 comparing to what it was at 4000rpm at 100% throttle. That was also before my VE was completely tuned, and in SD mode, and my 4000-6000 isn't tuned there, as I intend to go back to MAF. (past 4000rpm it's all maf dependent, unless you're in SD) So basically If this is all running right, i dont' think the torque curve is going to drop off much, if any, at higher rpm's.
Thus, I woldn't advance it, if it doesn't wanna peak too late. somehow my A4 with this little cam brakes traction at 4000rpm easily anyway, so I wouldn't complain. don't listen to the myths, scan excesively, and adjust for YOUR situation, not what some kid re-paraphrases (often incorrectly) from another post.